Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's on Top of Your 650 Toolhead and Why ( Dies )

Lee or Udie on the front, Lee factory crimp die on the back, for .40 and .45. LFCD tightened all the way down.

LFCD in 9mm can make the bullets tumble.

Old thread apologies. Why do you think the lfcd caused bullets to tumble?
Some say if the FCD is tightened down pretty tight it can actually resize the bullet down slightly. What may happen is once squashed the brass springs back but the bullet doesn't. Any of these issues can cause stability issues. I personally use the FCD in 9mm but only have it down far enough to crimp and NOT fully resize the case.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee or Udie on the front, Lee factory crimp die on the back, for .40 and .45. LFCD tightened all the way down.

LFCD in 9mm can make the bullets tumble.

Old thread apologies. Why do you think the lfcd caused bullets to tumble?
Some say if the FCD is tightened down pretty tight it can actually resize the bullet down slightly. What may happen is once squashed the brass springs back but the bullet doesn't. Any of these issues can cause stability issues. I personally use the FCD in 9mm but only have it down far enough to crimp and NOT fully resize the case.

The way I understand it, the FCD has a carbide sizing ring at the mouth of the die. How can you have it not fully resizing the case?

The way I understand it, the FCD has a carbide sizing ring at the mouth of the die. How can you have it not fully resizing the case?

The carbide ring in the FCD has a larger ID than the one on the size/deprime die. Adjusting the taper crimp is where the problem can happen. Have something like this / \ placed over something like I I and the lower you push the taper over the case the smaller OD you will make it.

When I set a LFCD I adjust it down only enough to remove the bell and stop.

The carbide ring in the FCD has a larger ID than the one on the size/deprime die. Adjusting the taper crimp is where the problem can happen. Have something like this / \ placed over something like I I and the lower you push the taper over the case the smaller OD you will make it.

When I set a LFCD I adjust it down only enough to remove the bell and stop.

^^^^^^

in 9mm and with 'fat' lead bullets....

the FCD will swage the bullet.

a couple of understandings; first some case headstamps may be ok
and some cases will swage no matter where you adjust the fcd.

the second is the lead-bullet may get resized in the seating die, at that point

you may be making skinny bullets, then, the FCD is not an issue for neck tension or setback..

this is one thread where I said a lot about my results.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231370

back to topic,
I have in my tool head
1. a lee sizing die
2. a lee powder drop because I can make custom expanders/powder-funnels for it
3. the dillon powder check
4. depending on the bullet, RCBS or lee seating die
5. the lee taper crimp

I like the FCD, I use it for jacketed bullets.

miranda

I use Dillon dies for pistol and Hornady for my rifle calibers. Dillon resize dies are slightly flared at the bottom so I don't have a problem with the case hitting the side of die on the way in. Hornady for rifle because they are as well made as Dillon and they have that sliding insert to hold the bullet in line for seating. When I was using other dies I always had some bullets drop sideways inside the seating die screwing up the case and the bullet when seating.

On my 9 Major head, I use a 9 under Lee sizing die (I know it's labeled as EGW, but it's still a Lee in my mind). It works great when using my Hundo case gauge. When loading 9 minor, lI just use standard Dillon dies. lI like using 2 different heads because that way I don't have to switch powder drop or bullet seating die, makes for a quick switch. When I do switch heads, I'll load a number of thousand rounds and then box them up. I leave the 9 Major head in my press most of the time

Edit: obligatory pointless picture.

post-56380-0-49211100-1468084637_thumb.j

Edited by Bkreutz

Started to read this thread and realized everyone has some differences/preferences.

I load 4 pistol calibers.

For 9, 40, and 45 I use Dillon for sizing and seating. I don't care for the Dillon seating dies, they are to hard to adjust accurately. I will change them out someday, just not now.

I use Hornady bullet feeder dies with my DIY bullet feeder.

The last die in all my sets is the Lee FCD. This is a crimp only die with a carbide sizing ring to make sure the entire loaded round is within diameter specs.

For .380, I use all Lee dies(purchased used for $13), plus the Hornady bullet feed.

If I didn't already have the Dillon does, I would have probably gone with a Lee. They are outstanding dies at a reasonable price, plus for a small fee they will make custom bullet feeding stems for any bullet shape.

I also have a tool head with a Lee universal de-primeing die only. I deprime all of my brass prior to cleaning. Yes I have to occasionally clean my bullet feeder and tube, but it works for me.

I have had a mix. I had dillon dies with my first 650 (as most do I thought I wanted dillon dies to go with my dillon press). I compared them with the lee dies (at the time on my loadmaster) and realised I actually preferred some features on the lee dies. When I bought my next 650 I have since bought only lee dies for pistol. they are cheap, work and their sizing dies are excellent (and clever design, I can't remember the last time I needed a new pin), their seating die has a micrometer type knob adjustment on it (no need to loosen the die body for seat adjustment) and the FCD is a good crimp die (with the caveats above about using it with large lead bullets). I even prefer their powder measure and use it on my 650 too. :)

Dillon Case Feeder, Dillon Carbide and Powder Check dies (9mm) all stations except crimp, and Lee FCD. The Lee FCD does indeed make better ammo for chamber check. If set up correctly, it does not stage my coated bullets. I checked all my test rounds until I had the results I wanted. Now it's perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...