Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" or 5" Sight Tracker

ELSOS

What are everyone's thoughts on a 5.4" vs a 5" Sight Tracker? I'm going though the list of what I want on my first custom Limited gun. I know I want a Sight Tracker but what are the pros and cons of the two?

I had Matt Cheely build me a long wide framed, 5" hybrid. I went with a 5" over 5.4" as I wanted the weight in the frame. Hoping to lower the center of gravity a little in my hand. Shooting 180 bayou with N320 at 170PF I find it shoots soft and has very little muzzle flip. I am shooting a polymer grip from extremeshooters.com.

I bought a 5" Infinity sight tracker used a few years back shot it for a while, until a barrel crack forced me to get the barrel replaced. At the time it was only a ~$20 difference to upgrade from the 5" to the 5.4" barrel, so I did thinking it would increase my sight radius a bit and get be a little more velocity. Both of which it did. I still cant decide if I liked the weighting/balance better how it was before or now... My target transitions did start to feel ever so slightly slower, or I would over shoot them and then have to come back because of the extra weight way out front. There may be something to be said for keeping as much weight as low and as close to the grip as possible.

Not that I plan to be in the market especially soon, but I'm not certain which size I would want today. Sorry if that's not much help to you, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself.

Did you notice any difference in split times or recoil feel? I shoot an ACCU Shadow in Production now so any Limited gun I get I'll have to do a bunch of dry firing and range time before I'm used to the transition changes.

Not sure about split times, but I think flip was slightly reduced at the expense of a bit of wobble when the sights come back down and have to settle for the next shot. There is just more overhung weight out at the end of the gun. (Note, all these differences are pretty subtle) That could also be my grip though... I'm a mid level B class shooter. I don't mind a snappy gun, I just want the sights to settle down as fast as possible for the next shot. I shoot 180g bullets loaded behind fast powder, not any of the crazy 200 or 220's.

Did you notice any difference in split times or recoil feel? I shoot an ACCU Shadow in Production now so any Limited gun I get I'll have to do a bunch of dry firing and range time before I'm used to the transition changes.

I just switched from a shadow myself to SS. However I have been treating it like a 1911 on the draw, ensuring the safety was down, as if I was taking the safety off. I shot my first match with it last night. I was surprised how well I did. Almost as fast as my shadow.

I did just put a 6" hybrid barrel to build a 6" tracker. I thought about 5.4" but figured it would be easier with a standard size (5 or 6) as I don't have a mill and have to have the machine work done.

That's just downright sexy!

Sorry...I digress....

I've got both a 5" and a 6" .40 sight-tracker for 3-gun. With the right loads, they're both SUPER soft shooters, but the 6" is my favorite hands-down. That extra little bit of sight radius makes for a super accurate gun. I think you'll be happy with either regardless of what you choose.

It should be shortly. That rule will very likely be changed at the upcomming GA.

And our RD still have not received any official notice regarding the definition of a comp from IPSC to his RD email, only read about on GV. So until official notification comes, its buisness as usual here in Norway (and the rest of Scandinavia I think).

Are any country enforcing it?

It should be shortly. That rule will very likely be changed at the upcomming GA.

And our RD still have not received any official notice regarding the definition of a comp from IPSC to his RD email, only read about on GV. So until official notification comes, its buisness as usual here in Norway (and the rest of Scandinavia I think).

Are any country enforcing it?

I really hope it's sorted once and for all shortly, I don't see much difference between the Limcat version and the STI/SVI version.