Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Break in first or parts first

bigdawgbeav

Depends on the parts you change. Much of the break in is for the slide to frame fit and barrel although you will probably want to test reliability with whatever ends up in the gun.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I'd shoot it stock for at least the first 300-500 rounds. You'll have a good handle on it by then and can decide if anything needs changing. If it feels and works right, I'd leave it alone until something really does need changing.

Just buy an STI and change nothing.

I bought a new STI.

A 6", 9MM, Tri-Topped slide new in the box. Upon receipt I noticed the slide stop seemed to be loose in the frame. My mike revealed that it was not only undersized but it was not even round. So I drop in a new EGW slide stop(.200) and it fit perfectly. Now my only problem was that the slide lacked going into battery by about 1/10 of an inch. The STI response was, "Send it back." I did, but not with my EGW slide stop. It came back with no charge and an invoice that said, "Installed a Wilson slide stop." Really?????????

It wasn't .200" either and neither was it round. I took my EGW slide stop and new STI to my local gunsmith that had built 2 STIs for me and had him re-cut the barrel lugs and get a few trigger group parts installed while I was there. Then all was well with my "semi custom gun".

I had debated on whether or not to have him build me a pistol but found a "deal" on the net.

Next time I'll just buy the parts and go down the road knowing I'll get what I want.

i try and run 1 box factory for function test

then good strip clean and lube

then run a few boxes through, then some reloads make sure all is working at this point I tend to run it 'till its super dirty to see if a liitlle or alot of dirt will induce failures.... ( or cant stand all the crud building up)

then id change out part, shoot, change part , shoot to see an feel change.... save all stock parts (in the event you need factory warranty issue). i still reserve opinion on parts changes until part/s get good break in.

i'm a front f/o fan, but on my new gun i haven't changed yet and am learning to shoot iron/night sights. its improving skilllevel with tuned ish gun.

i have to say learning to shoot on lesser gun improves many skllls on tuned gun.......

• 1 month later...