Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 140mm mags for a 2011

shotgunone

Looking at getting some 140mm 9mm mags for my STI gun. All of a sudden it's quite confusing. You have STI, MBX, and SVI. That all I know so far.

STI shows to hold 20 rds, while MBX has 23-24, and I'm not sure about SVI. I know you can change followers, springs and base pads to up the round count on some mags. Price for "stock" mags start at $60 up to $130. My questions are what is the best bang for the buck? Buy the MBX that's already tuned and ready to go or buy the other two and replace parts? What are most of you doing and what kind of parts are you using in rebuilt mags and what kind of round numbers will they hold?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by shotgunone

I got a DVC a couple months ago. It came with 2 140's, and I replaced them with Taran pads, springs and followers. Bought 4 MBX 140's, and 2 more STI's, then replaced those guts too.

The DVC is used for USPSA Ltd division, so I use the MBX and one STI during the day. In another venue which limits you to 10 rds per mag, so I use the STI's to allow slide-lock.

I noted that the Taran followers will lock the slide back with 1 round still in the mag, so I use the factory STI's when loading 10. (I have a Nitro-Fin when doing USPSA so there is no slide lock at all). During the other, I use the regular slide-stop.)

Edited by awfaxis

Been using the MBX 9mm mags for a couple months now. They work great, no issues. Got seven of them. Also have a stock STI, and then two STI with Dawson basepads.....these have worked well without issues also. The two with Dawson basepads hold 23 with Grams followers.

Looking at getting some 140mm 9mm mags for my STI gun. All of a sudden it's quite confusing. You have STI, MBX, and SVI. That all I know so far.

STI shows to hold 20 rds, while MBX has 23-24, and I'm not sure about SVI. I know you can change followers, springs and base pads to up the round count on some mags. Price for "stock" mags start at $60 up to $130. My questions are what is the best bang for the buck? Buy the MBX that's already tuned and ready to go or buy the other two and replace parts? What are most of you doing and what kind of parts are you using in rebuilt mags and what kind of round numbers will they hold?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Based on your post, it would appear someone is confusing 9mm with 40SW when talking about round counts in magazines.

The 140mm STI/SVI/MBX magazines with TTI/DP/MBX base pads should hold 23-24 in 9mm and 20-21 in 40SW.

If I had to do it all over again or from scratch, I would go with the MBX magazines for 9mm as they do NOT require a spacer, they are already tuned and are easily available. I know a couple people who are running the 9mm version and they are very happy with them.

I appreciate all the input. I am interested in the 9mm mags and round counts.

Reason I'm looking at mags is because I have been shooting some local steel matches that allow for up to 140mm in limited. I get 18 in my stock STI 126mm, so when I saw that the stock 140 in 9mm show a gain of 2 rds to 20 I didn't feel that was a big increase. I knew some of you more experienced shooters were getting more rounds by modifications to the mags.

Best deal I can find for STI 140 mags is about $64.00 (tubes only at $59.00). Grams Spring and followers about $17.00. Dawson S.N.L base pads $32.00. Total about $113 assuming I use the spacer in the STI factory mag. That's from a couple of dealers so with shipping about $16.00 I'm at about $124.00 to 129.00 for one mag. Of course more mags would be a little less per mag with combined shipping.

Would there be some "tuning" required to the STI mag? I have read something about "salt shaker" in STI mags, I guess that's where the bottom round rolls off the follower jamming the mags. How big a problem is that?

At first I thought the MBX mags might be high but if my pricing is close there is not a lot of difference after you build up the STI mags.

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Edited by shotgunone

I used STI tubes, Dawson pads, Grams springs/followers. All purchased from Brazos or Shooter's Connection. Get 23 9mm, but the springs are not broken in. I just use the plastic spacer. Brazos has pretty low combined shipping when buying mag parts.

For 9mm 2011 the best magazines are ranked in this order:

1. First gen SVI tubes with TTI or Grams guts and bases your choice (no spacers needed)

2. MBX with a TTI spring replacement (no spacers needed). You can search on the spring /follower issues some of had and the lack of response to address the issues from MBX

3. STI tubes, issues with tuning, spacers, followers, springs and lots of combinations… I do not have a good formula on tuning this combo and will continue to avoid this option at all costs.

If STI tubes were the only option I would probably ream the gun to .38 super comp to avoid the spacers, but that is just me as I already load for 3 .38 super comp guns.

Edited by 2011BLDR

Only problems I've heard of with MBX mags was with .40, not the 9mm.

I haven't had any problem with mine, but asked what changes were done with followers. They completely replaced my springs and followers, even though I wasn't having problems.

They are using Wolff springs now as the original spring supplier wasn't giving consistent quality.

Customer service was fast and easy in my experience with them.

If I had it to do over, I would buy all MBX. My two 170's with the new followers are perfect. I've never seen the original SV's but even if you could find them I can't see how they would be any better than the avaliable MBX mags.

I haven't had any problem with mine, but asked what changes were done with followers. They completely replaced my springs and followers, even though I wasn't having problems.

They are using Wolff springs now as the original spring supplier wasn't giving consistent quality.

Try the open Pistol section (9mm = clue) about MBX, 4 pages in and Locked down

I have a little of everything and still like my old SV style mags with Grams follower, spring, and basepad. A close second are the MBX mags. With the updated spring and follower, these mags have been running great. MBX has been great to deal with also. Everything else is a distant third.

You said you were shooting Steel, as in Steel Challenge? If so, you really dont need the higher capacity since you are only shooting 5 plates at a time. Let us know.

Would make sense as I don't read that section.

All I can say is that Adrian took care of me quickly and easily.

Would make sense as I don't read that section.

All I can say is that Adrian took care of me quickly and easily.

And I have had no response to my last 2 emails from him....

I have a little of everything and still like my old SV style mags with Grams follower, spring, and basepad. A close second are the MBX mags. With the updated spring and follower, these mags have been running great. MBX has been great to deal with also. Everything else is a distant third.

You said you were shooting Steel, as in Steel Challenge? If so, you really dont need the higher capacity since you are only shooting 5 plates at a time. Let us know.

No it's not Steel Challenge. It's more of an USPSA style match, walls, fault lines, barrels, barricades, etc. Kind of a run and gun thing with plate racks, texas star, individual plates, static steel, poppers, etc. Usually anywhere from 25 to 35 and up steel targets per stage. Seems like there are a couple of ranges around here that do these kinds of shoots.

I appreciate everyone's experiences. Sounds like any of the mag choices would be good. I realize it's a personal preference to some degree. I'm just wanting a mag that will hold and run with 22 or 23 rounds. For me those extra 5 or 6 rounds above my 126mm will help eliminate a mag change on some stages. Still looks like cost wise it's pretty close between MBX and a tuned up STI mag.

Thanks you all for your incite.

Edited by shotgunone