Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson SNL +1 not fitting the gauge

BillD

I've got several STI mag bodies with SNL +1's, 20 round reloadable mags.

At a match this past weekend, the chrono man was checking mags on the gauge. The mag I originally gave him did not fit the gauge, not touching at the back. I hadn't used this mag, it was just a spare I grabbed out of my bag on the way to chrono.

It didn't fit and I went back to my bag (our next stage was lunch) and got out a mag I had been using and it fit the gauge.

Both of them had SNL+1's on them.

This doesn't give me the warm fuzzies at all.

Is there another basepad, that doesn't increase overall length but still allows the mag to touch the back of the guage?

And is this pretty common?

Thanks for your help.

http://www.1911store.com/basepaddawson1plussnl.aspx

This is the new Dawson +1 Plus basepad that gives you a little more room in the magazine than the standard +1 design. But be cautioned, it's "S.N.L." (sometimes not legal) meaning that due to variations in mag tubes it may not fit the guage. Always be sure to measure.

I measured each of my mags with the SNL basepads and one didn't fit the gauge. A little light tapping on the bottom of the mag tube and basepad ears move things enough so it fit the gauge.

My Brazos tuned mags use the SNL +1 and they fit the gague. However, comparing them to unmodified STI tubes with the SNL +1 that do not fit, it appears as though Brazos takes a little off the back end of the tube where the rear of the bullet is at so it fits within the gauge. Basically, just smoothing it down/rounding it off, so it just fits.

If you like the Dawson +1's, you can consider using a non-SNL +1 to see if it will fit without modifying the mag tube.

I have Brazos tuned with the SNL +1's that also fit, but then used standard Dawson +1 on stock STI 9mm 170 and 140mm mags and they fit fine.

Hello: Remove a little from the back of the feed lips and until it fits the gauge. You may have to do the same using the Grams 4mm base pad and some of the others. It is very common for some of the tubes to be longer than others. The Dawson base pads are CNC machined and are the same. Thanks, Eric

Ya SNL is sometimes not legal. Some fit some dont. Like was said take space off he back of the feed lips to fit and it doset take much. My 40 cal mags all have the std non SNL and get a load able 20 in all them and no issues with the gauge. You lucked out at that one that you didn't get the open bump

• 6 months later...