Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb safety help please

louu

Hey guys I have a Springfield Range Officer and the stock thumb safety is to high for me to use "The proper grip". I've heard they make a lower one but I can't figure out where to find one or what exactly to search for.

Can someone please post a link to one so I can order it. Preferably from MidwayUSA because I already have one thing I need in my cart.

Got the new low safety installed and what a difference. If I would have known about this last year I would have gotten one of these in 9mm for steel instead of the G34. Now I just need a magwell and my USPSA work horse will be complete.

20150725_104150_zps1slkkxh9.jpg

Can you show a pic with the safety in the off position? I'm having similar issues - I can't ride over top of the safety so it ends up jabbing the side of my thumb.

The GI safety might be my answer, but I'm interested in the lowered ones (especially if they are less than $75).

Can you show a pic with the safety in the off position? I'm having similar issues - I can't ride over top of the safety so it ends up jabbing the side of my thumb.

The GI safety might be my answer, but I'm interested in the lowered ones (especially if they are less than $75).

Here is a side by side for ya

20150727_094307_zpshb4wa3zz.jpg

Here is the new low safety in the off position

20150727_094611_zpsfzftjveg.jpg

Here is the stock safety in the off position

20150727_094522_zps9yyievmx.jpg

Thie new safety is only $40 and I didnt have to cut my grips

At first I didn't like the RO's thumb safety. I had put STI (MIM) thumb safeties on some of my other 1911s because I find them comfortable.

After outfitting my RO as one of my comp guns (it's intended by Springfield as an entry level comp gun but it does need some finishing touches), and leaving the factory thumb safety on it, I found that the higher thumb safety helps me get a good high grip on the gun. The STI safety I thought I liked so much is lower at its high point and doesn't help me get that good high grip.

At first I didn't like the RO's thumb safety. I had put STI (MIM) thumb safeties on some of my other 1911s because I find them comfortable.

After outfitting my RO as one of my comp guns (it's intended by Springfield as an entry level comp gun but it does need some finishing touches), and leaving the factory thumb safety on it, I found that the higher thumb safety helps me get a good high grip on the gun. The STI safety I thought I liked so much is lower at its high point and doesn't help me get that good high grip.

I hear ya but my problem with being too high is I dont engage the grip safety. I really dont want to deactivate it because I just may be bored enough to shoot IDPA again someday (but in reality I dont see myself doing that again lol).

Thanks Lou. My thumb is as uncomfortable as yours looks riding the stock safety :)

No prob bud.

I hear ya but my problem with being too high is I dont engage the grip safety. I really dont want to deactivate it because I just may be bored enough to shoot IDPA again someday (but in reality I dont see myself doing that again lol).

OK interesting. Everyone's hands are different.