Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 Limited Gun?

I currently use a G35 for USPSA, and am thinking of spending the big money and buying a 1911 limited gun.  Being stuck in CA, I'll probably only be able to buy a California Edge if I go new.  Whose got the best prices? I've seen some package deals in Front Sight magazine.  Are these any good?  Whose got the best deals on magazine replacement tubes.  Should I go with standard length and Beven extenders or just buy an extended tube.  I'm pretty unfamiliar with these guns, so any info would be useful.

The guys here have bought California Edges from Chuck at Shooters Connection for the best price.

If you also need a holster and pouches, I saw some awesome package deals from Chuck. I wish he had that when I started.

Replace your current magazine tubes with 140mm tubes, Grams spring and follower, and basepad of your choice. (I recommend at least one Grams 4mm pad for a reloadable 20 rounds. I like Dawson pads but then the mags don't seat easily in the gun with 20 rounds.)

Buy used. I have a STI Edge bought used for $1000 and a good friend recently bought a used Para LTD fixed up by Ed Masaki (HI) for about $700. This was before sourcing preban mags. For a total beginner, the Para will do about 95%-99% of what the STI can do in the same hands (with the Para advantage of greater mag capacity).

However, since you have some experience with USPSA, get a used S_I. You will appreciate the difference in shooting quality and take advantage of the S_I's bull barrel and long dust cover. These S_I guns do not wear out beyond repair.  If the trigger is not to your liking, buy the SVI tri-glide - it is the ultimate and frankly its a bargain. Hacked up grip frame? Less than 100 bucks gets a new one - and you can tailor it yourself. Barrels that look totally worn out often still shoot well.

If you do decide on a para design, I think DS Arms and others do a better job of building the same gun using top quality metal - better metal than the crack-prone metal used in the Para. Nothing wrong with the Para design, I just think others do it better.

As for dawson, his deal on the STI naked or unfinished gun looks like a bargain. Anyone shoot one of those??

I've shot a  P16 Limited in S/S, but not the "Dawson Jarret". I was not impressed with the fit/finish of the stainless Limited, it seemed "loose". Although I've heard the blue ones are better.  The Dawson may be better, but my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) was that its basically the same gun, just added on magwell and front sight, with signature on side. You'd probably still need a trigger job, minimum.

I'd vote for an Edge. But some people really like the steel frame Paras, each to his own. Shoot what you can get!

I have a p-16 limited. It was basically gutted and rebuilt by EGW. It runs great. I'll let you know on the naked gun. I have one ordered and should have it in 4-5 weeks. I built a new open gun on an STI frame so to keep things consistent I'm switching to an STI limited gun also. The contingency money aint bad either.

Dump1567,

I too live in SoCal and bought a STI CA EDGE way back in January. It is the ! It has been flawless.

I bought it from Rene @ Speed Shooters International.

http://www.speedshooter.com/

He sells just about everything you could possibly need for IPSC. He can do the CA DROS transfer stuff too.

Send me an email if you have any specific questions.

I used to shoot a Mil-Spec Springfield 1911 for Limited till I went HI-CAP P-14... The SF-1911 is one of the best fit guns I looked at ...for like $400.00 at the time. The Kimbers were just comming out. Short Form is I like the SF-1911 with single stack 10 rounder mags...get a trigger job, put on some BoMars and a FL guide rod. maybe an S&A magwell and ambis's and you are pretty much good to go. My gun has over 100,000 rounds thru it and it still looks great and shoots great. I really liked the matt black finish and had my addons all stainless.

Speed Shooters Contact Info:

SPEED SHOOTERS INTERNATIONAL

Phone (US Only): 888-SSI-1911

800-653-1911

Phone:  818-841-0628

Fax: 818-841-3948

Address: P.O. Box 6402

Burbank, CA

91510-6402

Try giving Rene a call.  That may work easier for you.

(Edited by Dump1567 at 9:10 pm on June 15, 2002)

• 5 weeks later...

Quote: from jhgtyre on 10:14 am on June 4, 2002

I have been very happy with my Springfield Armory High Cap .45.

-jhgtyre

I have been told that springfield hi caps will accept para mags is this true and if so are there any modifications required.  I own a para but have been thinking about getting some thing else.  I have almost a whole gun worth of money in para magazines and am hoping to buy some thing a little better that uses them.

I too have been happy with the SA hi-cap .40 limited gun. It will take Para mags and a quick modification will allow it to take SVI/STI mags.

My .40 is one of my favorite heaters. The thing is simply awesome!

JB