Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow vs SP-01 Tactical, ready to get one..

scubadds

I have read and read and read.....about to make the plunge; just needed someone to push me off the edge

I can't find either a shadow or Tactical in stock thru any wholesaler; So I will have to get one on retail market

LGS has a SP-01 Tactical in stock, (around $650) or I am going to order a cajunized direct.... $980 ..

I am pretty much sold on the tactical (with the CGW upgrades, it seems like a great package)

But. I am debating

The tactical has a heavier first pull even from half cock- I am not used to that and not sure if it will have an affect....

I also gather is the safety gets flipped off, throwing into the 3 gun bucket; you get a DQ

It seems the shadow has a bigger following; but CGW swears the lack of FPB is not that big of a deal once the upgrades are done on a tactical...

I see a few posts that some have sold shadows for the cheaper Tacticals and are happy

Thanks

Thanks, that seems to be the consensus; but I saw a post on CZ forum where cajunized Tactical gets within ounces of a shadow on single action

The double action pull was actually less than the shadow (if you start with hammer down, this is an advantage)

That's what got me thinking outside the box....

nice videos!!

Edited by scubadds

For 3Gun, you see a lot of 2011's, which have a pretty big safety as well. I have run 2 different pistols in 3Gun; a 75B and an M9A1. I use the same proceedure for both, drop mag and rack slide, then dump. If you are a top tier, then that may slow you down :D

That said, I have been looking to get either a Shadow, Accu Shadow, or a Tactical from CGW. Since I already run 2 different guns with FPB's, I do not see a problem with using the Tactical. Besides, the gun is not what is holding me back, I am.

I think your going down the right path :devil: I have my second Tactical on order and should be getting the call from David next week to let me know its headed my way. Eventual I will get a third one. I want a pistol for Major Match, Practice/Dryfire and Major Match Backup. Also If I need to send a pistol into for repair work or something else I still have two pistols for a major match

shadow

the tactical has the decocker and you can't get as good of a trigger on it

I take it you've never heard of a company called Cajun Gun Works?
I have and he does a great job, and I would prefer decocker just so I don't have to lower the hammer, I am shooting an accu shadow and have another two tone shadow... not tactical models

I started shooting last summer and quickly fell in to USPSA. Luckily I discovered Cajun Gun Works because David (Schmecky) was extremely helpful. I had the same dilemma, tactical or shadow and am very happy I listened to David. I don't have enough experience with other platforms to comment on decocker vs manual safety triggers across the board but can tell you with 100% certainty that the CGW SP-01 Tactical is a GREAT choice. Mine has a super smooth 6.5 DA and a 2.5 SA. My Shadow having friends shoot it and shake their heads. Decocker triggers are supposed to be "less than", right? Not in this case.

Unfortunately, due to my XXL hands, I've switched to Tanfos for competition. If the CZ fits your hand than you can't go wrong with the CGW SP-01 Tactical. Even though I found something that offers more room for the support hand, I have no plans to trade / sell my Cajunized CZ. I like it too much.

First of all..decide which is going to make you more comfortable ..decocker or safety.

that will be one of they deciding factors.

the other factor will be...do you want the accuracy of the ACCU pistol.

given one of those decisions... the action job and sights is easy. FPB or not, good triggers can be done, yes some differences..but unless you are shooting one of each side by side and a lot..you wont know the difference.

I think the accu is out-

I would love to be able to shoot a CZ, Sphinx standard (when they are here) and the Grand Power X-caliber side by side....

I picked up a Sphinx compact (should arrive Wed); I have a 10mm/.40 EAA stock 3 and it seems like a beast compared to the SP-01

I have both SP-01 Tactical, trigger work done by CZ Customs, and Dual Tone CZ Custom Shadow. Single action is good in both.

I prefer the Decocker for 3GUN, but i switched to CZ P-09 CGW converted,

A P-09 I have considered as well, however I am very concerned about the grip size. Hard to find here, and I have never seen one to try and shoot. I have a P-07 Duty (non backstrap swap version), and it is very small in my hands. One of the reasons I am now running the Beretta M9 is the grip size. With my older 75B, I am using the factory rubber grips to get the size up. Running 24 rounds for 3Gun would be NICE!