Side-charging uppers

rugerdawg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-13847-0-41927700-1436286854_thumb.j

Eisenach are good people.

They are looking at a new improved side charging handle , more like the one's we have no use on our AR's over here in the UK - were we are not allowed any centerfire semi auto rifles , open up the above picture.

Edited by gunfighteruk

I haven't used it in live fire yet, but my g/f put together a Gibbz upper that I have played with a bit, and I think it is a really good design. It seems very ergonomic to me and I am really thinking about building an SBR upper around one of those. You do need to choose your scope mount carefully, though, but that seems to be the only real issue with it.

I don't know anything about this company, but I did run across them last night while looking to see who is making right hand charging uppers.

http://eisenacharms.com/

That looks the same as the Young's side charger to me, but I might be missing something...

I think that the difference lies in the slot the charging handle would normally go in. Eisenach Arms appears to leave it alone so you can put a normal charging handle in. Young appears to have some kind of flap that goes over the gap. Crosshill seems to have eliminated the wide slot but there's some kind of plug there - must have to do with removing the bolt since that channel has to remain open.

Edited by Graham Smith

Thought I'd chime in and give you guys some background in regards to our Products. Our Upper receiver is made to run with any mil-spec BCG, since we retain the top-charge handle. You can also run a Young mfg. Side-Charge BCG and of course an Eisenach Arms BCG. On the flip side, our Bolt Carriers will also work in a Mega mfg. Upper Receiver. Glad to answer any questions regarding the subject!

BTW, one consideration for any side charger with a reciprocating handle is that the handle has to be removed to remove the BCG for cleaning. Not sure if that impacts on anyone reading this or not.

Also, the little thing sticking out of the back of the Crosshill uppers is listed as being a gas stop/timing bolt. I get the gas stop part of this but not sure what the timing bolt refers to.

The handle unscrews, on a slow day it doesn't take over 15/20 seconds. My LAR is the progenitor of the Crosshill and the little bolt is basically a BCG stop. I don't grasp the "timing" part either.

I own and used a Mega side-charger with a Young Manufacturing side-charging BCG for 3-gun. It was good, but provided zero advantages over a normal charging handle practically speaking. It was easier to unload and show clear, but the charging handle tried to back out spontaneously. To remedy that situation, you can't use loctite because you've got to break that seal every time you clean the gun because you have to remove the charging handle, so what I did was use a rubber O-ring around the base of the threads and that worked. Unfortunately, I guess because the threads weren't completely in the BCG, the handle broke from the threads during a course of fire. It didn't stop or interfere with my shooting, but it's definitely a negative. It cost me at least (if I remember correctly) $20 to replace the charging handle. The side-charging handle never interfered with any shooting positions (I've never really understood that "drawback" because every AK on the planet I know of uses a side-charging handle and they have no problems), but in my opinion, it's a novelty that offers no practical advantages. I've since built an AR specifically for 3-gun and returned to the standard charging handle option. I still have the side-charging handle upper, but it's been relegated to a more precision type rig.

Edited by LocoGringo

The handle unscrews, on a slow day it doesn't take over 15/20 seconds. My LAR is the progenitor of the Crosshill and the little bolt is basically a BCG stop. I don't grasp the "timing" part either.

The Crosshill web site says to use blue Loctite on the handle. I've seen the same recommendation for other brands as well.

Loctite is good, but we just put an Allen wrench/small screw driver or piece of metal through the handle and crank er down. Never comes loose! Recommend Side Charge for hunting, bench, or if you are building a Pistol AR. Have had law enforcement love it also, since it doesn't interfere with their body armor like that of a ext left latch.

Blue locktite. 30 inch lbs of torque. No backouts. No biggie to clean. Spritz of Hornady one shot every match or so.

Melonite/Nickel Boron everything. I almost never clean my AR (2-3K round cleaning interval) and it's my only gun that runs 100% of the time.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Loctite is good, but we just put an Allen wrench/small screw driver or piece of metal through the handle and crank er down. Never comes loose! Recommend Side Charge for hunting, bench, or if you are building a Pistol AR. Have had law enforcement love it also, since it doesn't interfere with their body armor like that of a ext left latch.

I'm looking at a side charge upper for precision/dmr shooting. Lots of prone and supported shooting where a standard charging handle becomes a real hassle. Because I'm already conditioned to use my right hand from operating a bolt gun, this seems a natural progression.

I'm looking at a side charge upper for precision/dmr shooting. Lots of prone and supported shooting where a standard charging handle becomes a real hassle. Because I'm already conditioned to use my right hand from operating a bolt gun, this seems a natural progression.

I'm biased because I have one, but I bet you won't regret going with the Crosshill/LAR. I doubt anyone makes a crappy side charging upper, but they've been at it a long time and the attention to tolerances on their flagship models is notable.

Almost all the hunting/shooting out here in Utah can be considered long range and the precision shooters out here are downright fanatical about their gear. Before the Remingtion buyout, the OPS4 was the regional go-to upper for small caliber gas-gun precision shooting.

Additionally, the pretty mountains on their website are literally the ones that run across the view of their shop in West Valley (Salt Lake City) , and it's not much of a stretch to think that the Crosshill/LAR tests at/for those conditions and altitudes.

http://www.702shooter.com/product-reviews/lar-grizzly-ops-4-side-charging-upper-receiver-review/

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Oh, and there was one match last year when I had my gas block set too low and I switched ammo between stages (like an idiot). There wasn't enough gas flow to cycle the bolt, so I had to manually rack the charge handle for each shot.

With a left side charger I was still able to keep my cheek-weld and sight picture between shots. Even though I was basically shooting a bolt gun I still managed to get a mid-pack stage time. It was actually fun as hell once I got over the frustration of starting a stage with a brain-fart.

In starting Eisenach Arms Inc, my brother and I purchased many, if not all side-charge uppers, to see what we could improve upon. During testing, we found that the charge handles either bent over time, or completely broke. This is one thing we wanted to stress in our production. You will not bend or break our handles! (I've stood on it)