Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Loads for Steel Challanges

MrDesertBrat

Folks,

I am planning on trying some Steel Challenge events, Limited class with a modified M&P Pro 9mm. Since one of the key elements is getting the gun back on target ASAP, I was considering lowering the recoil to assist on quicker target acquisition. I am willing to tweak the recoil spring weight to help, and use lighter loads.. thus I ask:

1. Anyone know of a good, consistent load with Win 231 (have 8lbs to use up) that has low recoil?

2. Has anyone developed at good non-compensated 9mm load in general for steel? If so what might it be?

3. Am I reading too much into this - aka, just go with what I know - 124 Berry HBFP over 4.5 grs Win 231 with Fed Primers.

4. If I lighten the bullet (say 100gr), lighten the load (3.8 Win231), use a lighter spring - will it make much of a difference in recoil/recovery time?

Thanks Folks..

Edited by MrDesertBrat

I'd say shoot what you are familiar with, any time you change things you run the risk of "unintended" results. When I shoot Steel Challenge, I still use my USPSA major loads because that's what I shoot most of the time. But then again, I'm easily confused. :roflol:

For SC, I like a 115 gr load that chronos at 1000 - 1050 fps. My shooting partner who is way better than me runs a load closer to 900 fps IIRC but it takes a gun set up special to run that light 100% and for a non-dedicated SC gun, I feel better with a little heavier load.

I've been playing around with some ultra light steel loads and I was working with the Bayou 95grain bullet. I've since sold both of the pistols I was testing with but once I get another 9mm I'll get back to testing. I would start with your current pet load and decrease the charge weight by a couple of tenths and see how things feel. Keep working your way down until you get a load that you like. I will say the 95 grain bullet with 4.0g of TiteGroup or 4.0g of e3 is probably one of the lightest loads I've ever shot. You'll want to go with a lighter recoil spring for sure.

Thanks folks. The gun is being assembled for SC and an IDPA ESP back up if I need it (I shoot and M&P Pro in SSP). I can easily have several "captured" recoil springs to drop in so adjusting to light load and then returning to the IDPA 125 PF will be a breeze if I need to.

Zack, interesting approach 95 grains bullets.. hmmm... how was the 20 yrd accuracy? What weight recoil spring did you use?

Warp, I am assuming he did not have an issue stabilizing the 115gr at 900 fps? Do you know what spring weight he used on the gun?

Hi-Power, damn son, 3.1grs .. wow... for a PF of 100 that's about 870 FPS .. any issues stabilizing the bullet? Was the Bullet Jacketed, Plated, or Cast?

Thanks All..Very much appreciated.

My steel challenge load is 3.4gr of titegroup under a 100gr SWC from Ibejiheads. It makes about 109PF and is pretty accurate, it will shoot about 3" groups at 25yds, not a bullseye load but sufficient for what I use it for. There is basically no recoil. I shoot this load out of my XDM 5.25, which is the same gun I shoot for all comps, and it functions fine with a 14lb recoil spring. It has a trigger kit in it as well with a reduced power striker spring so that probably help function with super light loads. If your gun will feed SWC's ( I would think an M&P should ) this is a great load.

I have tried some of the 95gr bullets, couldnt get any kind of accuracy with them no matter what load I tried. Probably not enough bearing surface for my XDM to get hold of.

I have thought about trying some of the 90gr Hornady HAP bullets but havent gotten around to that yet.

Zack, interesting approach 95 grains bullets.. hmmm... how was the 20 yrd accuracy? What weight recoil spring did you use?

I didn't get a chance to test any groups before I sold the guns. I'll try again whenever I get another 9mm.

What OAL was that on the 100 grain swc as I have the same gun and would like to play with that recipe

1.03 OAL is what I usually load to, but have done batches from 1.02-1.04 and they all work fine. I get the bullets sized to .357 though.

I would wonder if you could do a similar thing to when people switch their Major .40 loads to minor for 3gun by just dropping from a 180gr to something like a 165 or 155gr. I would think if your normal Production Minor PF load is with a 124 or a 147 you could just change the bullet out to a 115 but leave everything else the same and end up somewhere in the ballpark of where you want to be? No adjustment of the press itself at all.

C.J.

I vote #3, just go with what works for you right now. One less bullet and ammo can to keep track of.

What's the PF of your current load? You may want to consider just dropping your charge back a little bit to see how it works for you.

Many of us have gone down this path you're looking at and have the extra springs and bullets to prove it.:)

Since you'll be calling your shots it'll just be transitions you'll be working with between shots.

Tweaking an M&P isn't like tweaking a 2011/1911..

• 4 weeks later...

Warp, I am assuming he did not have an issue stabilizing the 115gr at 900 fps? Do you know what spring weight he used on the gun?

No issue at all - I think he runs a 5# and even that has a few coils cut off.

• 2 months later...

I run 3.2 gns titegroup under a 115 gn FMJ with WSP primers. SUPER light and fast but this is in my STI trojan 9mm steel gun with light springs. This load will not reliably run my Glock 34 with the 13# spring. But I LOVE it with my trojan.