Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Front Sight Dovetail Info

al503

I purchased a pistol off the classifieds that has a non fiber optic front sight.

The dovetail measures .335 x .068 x 65 degrees. (I'm not 100% sure on the angle but I have a 60 file and its definitely a little more than that.)

I have a kimber/novak cut sight (.330 x .075 x 65) on hand and it was close but too loose/had a very slight bit of play to work.

I'd like to replace the sight but I'm not sure what to order. I looked on the Dawson sight and they have a bunch of different cuts but they don't list the specific dims.

I googled to see if I could find a resource/table/list of dovetail cuts but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds to me based on your provided dimensions that you have a Novak cut that someone may have gotten a little overzealous with. A new front fiber optic may have enough material for proper fitting and it may not. For oversized dovetail cuts I will usually take a blank and fit it, then drill/shape for the fiber optic.

What gun is it for?

Kodiak Custom. Built in '99, according to the build sheet.

I'm wondering if there was a different dovetail back then not being used any more?

Thanks for the Table.

Sounds to me based on your provided dimensions that you have a Novak cut that someone may have gotten a little overzealous with. A new front fiber optic may have enough material for proper fitting and it may not. For oversized dovetail cuts I will usually take a blank and fit it, then drill/shape for the fiber optic.

Yeah. I tried a new Brazos novak cut (I know he builds them slightly oversize) and it was too loose. I wish I had the equipment/know how to make one from a blank. Actually, I wish my eyes were good enough to use a plain, non FO sight...

could you just drill the sight that is in it for a FO

its a very short post. I could try to drill it out but then I would have to remove material from the top of the blade to get the FO to light up at all.

Besides all that, I would bugger it up somehow...

If the sight you have is just slightly loose, green loctite will probably do the trick. You can also drill it vertically and pin it in place. Or use an epoxy to fill the corners of the dovetail and remachine it. Devcon metal repair works good.

...or you could contact Dawson and have a front sight made to fit.

I talked with the folks at Dawson about their "custom" front sights. The only dimensions they would customize was the length and height of the blade on one of their off the shelf sights. No custom dovetail lengths. I finally machined a sight for the gun.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

...or you could contact Dawson and have a front sight made to fit.

I talked with the folks at Dawson about their "custom" front sights. The only dimensions they would customize was the length and height of the blade on one of their off the shelf sights. No custom dovetail lengths. I finally machined a sight for the gun.

Ugh. I'll call them up tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Called Dawson and emailed pics of the slide/sight to them. Just received a reply that they are willing to make a sight for me but it'll take about a month as they're slammed. I definitely appreciate their willingness to help.

I'll keep you guys updated.

It sounds like an older Novak front sight. I think they were .330 X .070 X 65 degrees. By any chance does the sight have a vertical pin hole?

No vertical pin hole. Here's a pic I sent to DP.

post-5006-0-57879900-1435371808_thumb.jp