Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

camera for recording

jbultman

Looking to get a camera to start recording my shooting to reflect back on the stages shot and critique myself. I've been looking at the Contour brand. A couple people I shoot with use them, they are waterproof and decent price for a good camera...

I've been looking at the ROAM 2. Thoughts? Would it be worth it to get the ROAM 3?

**On a side note this would also be used for skiing in the winter.

Edited by jbultman

The cameras that the shooter wears provide an interesting perspective. If you really want to use it as a learning tool, you're much better off having a friend take the videos. Use whatever camera you already have or even your phone. The advantage of the Contour type cameras, if they're head mounted, it's always with you and is hands free.

Looking to get a camera to start recording my shooting to reflect back on the stages shot and critique myself. I've been looking at the Contour brand. A couple people I shoot with use them, they are waterproof and decent price for a good camera...

I've been looking at the ROAM 2. Thoughts? Would it be worth it to get the ROAM 3?

**On a side note this would also be used for skiing in the winter.

I use my GOPRO on the head band mount. I also use it on chest mount, head mount and pole mount for skiing. Gets good POV footage while shooting and is great learning tool for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used The last few generations of Contour camera and have loved it. I wear molded ear plugs and don't like to shoot with earmuffs since I shoot both USPSA and 3gun. I've used the simple headband with the Contour and it's worked perfectly for me. I started with the Contour HD and now have the Contour ROAM 2, which is no longer available. The current generation all have the slider which is on and record in one and it makes for a foolproof interface. Just slide forward, wait for the beep and it's recording.

The only thing I wish they would do is up the res and FPS. They top out with 1080p @30fps, which while perfectly adequate, is a little behind since GoPro has come out with 60FPS and even 120FPS cameras and now 4k res. I'm waiting for Contour to catch up before I buy another one. The form factor is just that much better.

The only advantage I can see in the ROAM3 is the waterproof rating, 30meters for the ROAM3 is amazing. So if you're going to do some snorkeling, that's the one. I think the ROAM 2 is water resistant, or waterproof to 1 meter like the ROAM, but I still try to keep it out of the rain if I can.

Like the other people have said, 3rd person perspective can show you more of what you're doing movement-wise, but 1st person view can show more of where you're looking, what order you shoot things in, how reloads go... I always try to have both angles so I can get as much info as possible.

Sony AV200 ..... compare the video side by side to a GoPro and you'll understand why. As a bonus without that box on your head you won't look like one of those kids who rides the short bus to school .... :)

Sony AV200 ..... compare the video side by side to a GoPro and you'll understand why. As a bonus without that box on your head you won't look like one of those kids who rides the short bus to school .... :)

Do I know you, how did you know what bus I ride !!! [emoji590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where do you mount your sony? i just mount it to top of muffs so i guess i do look i ride the short bus. the attachments for mounting to the sides of the muffs seem pretty awkward and heavy. i thought about just rigging a piece of aluminum somehow to mount to side of muffs.

Av200?? I can't find that one... Link?

I've used The last few generations of Contour camera and have loved it. I wear molded ear plugs and don't like to shoot with earmuffs since I shoot both USPSA and 3gun. I've used the simple headband with the Contour and it's worked perfectly for me. I started with the Contour HD and now have the Contour ROAM 2, which is no longer available. The current generation all have the slider which is on and record in one and it makes for a foolproof interface. Just slide forward, wait for the beep and it's recording.

The only thing I wish they would do is up the res and FPS. They top out with 1080p @30fps, which while perfectly adequate, is a little behind since GoPro has come out with 60FPS and even 120FPS cameras and now 4k res. I'm waiting for Contour to catch up before I buy another one. The form factor is just that much better.

The only advantage I can see in the ROAM3 is the waterproof rating, 30meters for the ROAM3 is amazing. So if you're going to do some snorkeling, that's the one. I think the ROAM 2 is water resistant, or waterproof to 1 meter like the ROAM, but I still try to keep it out of the rain if I can.

Like the other people have said, 3rd person perspective can show you more of what you're doing movement-wise, but 1st person view can show more of where you're looking, what order you shoot things in, how reloads go... I always try to have both angles so I can get as much info as possible.

That's awesome! Thanks. I was looking for something like that. The only think I'm worried about with the 2, is I will often ski at night. From what I've seen the 2 has issues with recording at night. The 3 is better... Do your concur? Most if the time it will be on my ear pro recording during the day shooting. I would love something that is a little waterproof just incase it rains.

In your opinion is the roam 3 worth the extra $75 over the roam 2?

Edited by jbultman

I use a roam and hacked the firmware to the roam 2 firmware. Works great. I made an elastic headband out of 2 inch wide elastic and clip the camera to it with the goggle strap mount. Much sturdier than the contour head band.

I see you can get a roam 2 for just over 100 bucks now.

This was recorded with my roam.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mFH7dQhWR28

Edited by darkvibe

I think this is how I'm going to mount it to my ear pro. Either on the top or slightly off center down more towards where the muff and the headband meet ....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00680WSVK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A258DJMZF891Y6

Still cant decide between the 2 or the 3? Leaning towards the 2.

Edited by jbultman

I've had the roam also the go pro but the best for me is the pivot head glasses one of the best for one person shooter looking vids, sound and pic is first class

have a look on youtube hope this helps

I think it would be ok at night on the slopes. There are generally a lot of lights out there. Maybe lookup some vids on that, but unfortunitely people don't often post what device they're using to film.

Here are a couple videos from Night matches I've shot.

2013 Crimson Trace, This may have been with the ContourHD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfoVZUI9gw

2014 Local club match. I'm sure this was the ROAM2.

https://youtu.be/O4IqtUfECVo

Additional Note: Those matches were without any other external lights. Just the gun mounted light and a red headlamp in the Crimson trace match. I could see quite a bit more than the camera picked up though.

Edited by MustangGreg66

I think this is how I'm going to mount it to my ear pro. Either on the top or slightly off center down more towards where the muff and the headband meet ....http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00680WSVK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A258DJMZF891Y6

Still cant decide between the 2 or the 3? Leaning towards the 2.

For critiquing your shooting the 2 is plenty good and a lot cheaper. I would get that.

Sony for me too. Though an older model. Light, small, great quality vid and almost as important great quality sound. Mounted on the side of my muff headband right beside the right side muff. Very sturdy and so light I cannot tell when it's there or not. :)

After doing some thinking and research last night. I decided to order the roam 2. My only worry with the roam 2 is the waterproof rating. I'm not going to dive with it. But it would be nice if it got wet or snowy to have that little extra "protection" without that big case (which I am thinking about ordering for skiing). I did find a video of someone skiing at night and in the evening with a roam. The picture isn't perfect but it'll do just fine.

I think it'll so exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need cinema quality video just something I can look back at.

I use a mobius 820 that was recommended by someone here recently. I zip tied it to the brim of my cap using the mount it came with from the manufacturer. It is extremely light and easy to use. I think I paid about 100.00 with the sd card. Very happy with the camera, I wish I could say the same for what it records :-)

Double Tap Ranch 2015 C Limited:

Edited by racnsoonr

After doing some thinking and research last night. I decided to order the roam 2. My only worry with the roam 2 is the waterproof rating. I'm not going to dive with it. But it would be nice if it got wet or snowy to have that little extra "protection" without that big case (which I am thinking about ordering for skiing). I did find a video of someone skiing at night and in the evening with a roam. The picture isn't perfect but it'll do just fine.

I think it'll so exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need cinema quality video just something I can look back at.

Pretty sure the Roam 2 is waterproof without the case (I thought to about 3 feet). I have the Roam +2 and it is not waterproof without the case. I see Contour does not have the Roam 2 on their site anymore though. Will try to find something to back this up

1/2 way down in this article they talk about it

http://www.gizmag.com/contour-roam3-actioncam/33942/

I cut and pasted what it says:

Perhaps the camera's (Roam 3) most noteworthy feature, though, is its ability to shoot underwater at a depth of up to 30 feet (9 meters) without a case. By contrast, the Roam2 can only go down to one meter (3 ft), while the +2 requires a separate watertight housing.