Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PE or Not?

Balakay

Local match, first stage is a standards stage.

We just go through the walk through when and are told explicitly to start facing uprange, turn then draw.

First shooter gets up and shoots the stage after starting down range. After rechecking the stage description, the SO gave him (his buddy) a reshoot).

The squad had a split opinion on PE or not. I would have let it slide, tell shooter to pay attention to the stage brief and give a reshoot as this is just a local match but the SO subsequently became quite the stickler for (perceived) cover calls. Clearly he didn't subscribe to the "it's a local match" attitude.

What is your verdict?

Mandatory reshoot 3.14.1

Part of the confusion was that neither the shooter or the SO noticed and the targets were scored and pasted. It was another shooter on the squad who pointed it out after the next shooter was at the line

It is really easy to harsh out on the SO, but remember these people are VOLUNTEERS. Without them, you don't have a match. If I learned one thing in life, it is to try not to assign motive to someone's mistakes. Especially when the answer is in the rule book, or part of the golden rule.

Just because they are volunteers doesn't mean they can be incompetent. If your SO's can't make the right calls you don't have a match either, you have an expensive practice session. Having been a match director for multiple matches, large and small, I know it can be tough to find qualified people to staff your match. But as MD if you agree to accept everyone's money you should also agree to deliver a properly staffed match that is run in a fair and equal manner for all competitors.

Bob, only 17 years of IDPA experience? But what about the 39 years of IPSC (1976) and 31 years of USPSA (1984) and 34 years of Steel Challenge (1981) before that? Not to mention Soldier of Fortune and 3 Gun? And GSSF.. Oh, and Bullseye and PPC, and NRA action pistol, did I leave anything out that you haven't already done???

First and only warning. I cleaned up a few posts from this thread. Lets try to remember some of the forum guidelines...

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...