Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 fp coated with Clays for SP01

seanc

Why would these only be practice loads?

No reason, just till get some experience with it and confidence the gun runs them OK.

I made a small batch, started a little conservative and went to1.14 COAL, they chrono'd 865 fps which just gets the above minor.

I will shorten to Bowen's length hopefully that will put them around 885-890 or maybe a touch more.

side note...does anything recoil less than clays, the stuff is amazing...

Ok, I misinterpreted practice load. It's more of a test load.

Yes, Clays is glorious for soft recoiling 9mm loads. I would be surprised if you saw any noticeable difference in PF by shortening your OAL. I tested 1.135 and 1.115 and saw maybe 20fps difference. If the 1.14 works for you, stay with it. But Clays is temp sensitive. Meaning on colder days you may experience a drop in FPS. It may be enough to miss making 125pf. At 3.0gr of Clays you should get up above 130pf and not really feel any difference. YMMV.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Really would like to run Clays & 147, but the manufacturers load data has me a bit squeamish (ok, too squeamish), they stop at 130 grain max bullet weight and their max loads don't make minor http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol .

Anyone know of load data that would make a person feel a bit more comfortable ?

I love Clays for 135s, but with 147s I think it's right on the edge of over pressure; not that it's going to blow out the case, but what it sounds inconsistent: "bang, bang, bang, pop, bang"

If you don't mind sharing, whats your load for 135's (Bayous I assume) with clays?