Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P Spring and guide rod Changes

Tmcfarland

How many out there have experimented with different weighted recoil springs in the M&P?

Recently I purchased a 5" Tungsten un-captured guide rod, a 17#, 15#, 13# and an 11# recoil spring to go in the 9L pro (non-ported) and the 9L PC CORE. Went to shoot those tonight and was a little let down that magic didn't happen...not really but was hoping to see some improvements for follow up shots. Here is what I did learn;
9L (non-ported)
11# spring too light
13# spring too light
15# spring worked real nice
17# (factory weight) felt the same but with less muzzle rise, more than likely to do with the extra weight of the tungsten guide rod (58 grams compared to the 25 grams of the factory)
Shock Buffer did nothing but mess up the timing and accuracy, probably due to the different stroke of the slide...I will try it again to make sure.
9L CORE (ported)
11# a little too light, felt like it was slamming the slide into the frame too hard.
13# worked good even with the lighter 125PF loads.
15# spring felt good too, worked better with the higher 135PF loads though.
The tungsten guide rod...really couldn't tell the difference but I will video soon and see if the difference can be seen in slow motion.
Thought this might help somebody thinking on changing stuff up

I've been using a #13 for 124 grain handloads and a #11 for 147 grain. I didn't see any miracles but definitely a gain in recoil control. I think this is going to depend on the load used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed all my m&p 9mm to a 13lb spring. I slow motion video spring tuning and the 13lb had the least muzzle dip.

Are you using the #13 for both 124 and 147 loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Ferg34, I use the 13 for everything factory and reloads. The 11 lb. spring was too light and the gun would come out of battery upon holstering. The 15 lb. spring would dip the muzzle when the slide came back forward. The 13 lb. seemed to work the best for everything. I even tried my 12lb. and 14lb. springs from zev, thinking it would narrow things down. The 13 lb. is where its at.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I also use the 13# springs in my pro 9. best feel and flawless function. If your worried about slide to frame impact or inspecting for it, I use a small dab of super glue and some plasti-gauge from the auto parts store. With 124 handloads that run about 127 pf I had zero slide to frame impact.

• 1 month later...