Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Invictus DeTurk vest opinions

I'm looking to get a DeTurk Vest by Invictus Practical. I definitely want a 24 shell vest, and want the ability to load quads or twins so I'm assuming I need to get either the DTV QX24 or the DTV 8X24, but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I understand the physical differences to be this:

The 8X24 has 3 pairs of 8ight clips and the QX24 has 6 pairs of Quad clips, but I'm wondering which one I should go with.

I'm not sure if I'll like the space between the 3 8ight clips that seem to be on the 8X24, but maybe that'll be nice for splitting up birdshot and slugs.

I'm also thinking that if I'm going for consistency here, maybe I don't want the variation in height that the 8ight clips have, and that maybe the Quad clips are more alike in shell height since there are only two different heights.

But is there plenty of room under the Quad clips to get my fingers underneath? Does the lowest Quad clip have the same finger space underneath, that the lowest 8ight clip has?

I'm also planning on making or buying some sort of shoulder strap for it, or maybe a cheap MOLLE chest rig, or something. Anyone have any ideas?

Would also consider used if you have one you want to sell.

I can't answer your questions from any direct experience with the DeTurk vest, but I do normally have a 2.8 and an 8Q on my belt, sometimes 2 of each if the stage calls for it. With plenty of practice I can't tell the difference in shell spacing or height when going from one caddie to the other. And just in case you didn't get the memo, IP's stuff is awesome and Kevin Pratt kicks ass!

Edited by TonytheTiger

I do not use a Invictus vest yet.

I do however use a 2.8 and a 12Q and I find the 4shell sets of the 12Q easier to grab from than the 2.8 when going for speed. I tend to hit the third row of shells with the heel of my hand dislodging them.

The 12Q is much easier for me to be consistent. Personally I'd go for the Q24 or 28.

I have a deturk lite and a 2.8. I love the 2.8 and the shell holders in general, but I don't really love the deturk "vest". I think the carbon arms ssl vest is a much better design. I don't have a belly for the kydex backing of the deturk to ride on top of so i have to cinch it up way to tight in order to keep it from falling down. I'm planning on modding mine into a vest similar to the ssl or selling and buying the carbon arms.

Can't see locations on my phone, if you are close you can try mine. You can borrow it for a match too if you want to pay shipping both ways.

You won't notice the height difference at all. I would like a version that wore like a chest rig. Load 2 tech makes one that is as the name implies load 2 only. While I prefer the fit, I wanted the ability to quad. I am still tinkering to see if I can mount it on a chest rig.

Invictus stuff is very nice and you deal with Kevin the owner.

I have the DeTurk Vest in the Quad load 28 Variation. I really like mine. I can dual load off of it when needed. The 28 is super wide though. I have a little bit of a belly which helps it stay in place. But you can add some grip material to the back to help it not slip down.

I have one that I bought when they first came out, and I thought the same thing, wanted it to ride higher on my chest. After playing with it quite a bit I realized that I do like it the way it is, riding just a little above my belt line. I haven't even turned it around to go prone more than once, all the times up and down and only one shell has ever fallen out. I have nothing but love for my DeTurk vest. I have the quad-load clips on it and they work great for me. I also know that the new ones come with grippy stuff to put on the back and hold them up.

Hope that helps.

We are working on a model with shoulder straps. We have not had a huge demand since most have liked the option to spin it around to go probe for some stages. Shoulder strap option may be available by fall.

That's the way I saw them used at the last match. There were several stages where you had to go prone with the rifle then retrieve the shotgun for a long run targets.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Qx28. It was the first Invictus product I purchased, and was largely because of my interaction with Kevin. I really like the set up. When I got to the point where I was looking to purchase more caddies to be good for the longer shotgun stages I looked at the Deturk. I really like the space between quad loads on this version. I now own 3 2.8s and love them as well.

One note: I would try the rig without the chest rack first. Two guys that I shoot with have a similar setup and are constantly complaining with how hot it is. I have never really had the same complaint with the stock setup.

I tried it on the chest rig...

Hated it.

It was so much more secure with just the included belt. When I mounted it on the chest rig, it seemed to not be as tight against my chest. Still not sure why... but it was. Also don't like having to deal with shoulder straps when shouldering the shotgun or rifle. I suppose I could get used to that, but it still seems more secure with just the included strap anyways.

I'm very happy with the DeTurk vest... Not so much with my quad loads. Luckily... I can load twins with this vest just as easily, but I'm still working on loading quads.

If I had one thing I would change with the DeTurk vest, it would be to include one tri glide with the vest. I like being able to easily tighten the one side, but when I do, the other side sometimes comes loose. And when I un clip the buckle, the other side wants to slip out of the buckle.

On the plus side... I now have a chest rig with lots of MOLLE attachment points. I can store my spoon in there when I'm done eating my Spagettios.

I use the Invictus DeTurk 8x24 vest and its pretty fantastic. I used it again this weekend at the 3GN Regional.

Having hand space between the groupings of shells makes them easy to grab. Vertical spacing between the clips allows for the shells to be held on the brass if desired, or on the plastic hull if desired. This results in 2 different retention strengths on the shells in case your course of fire has vigorous movement. Additionally, the nonslip pads on the backside of the vest allows you to wear it high or low on your torso without fear of it moving around.

If I was going to change anything about this vest, it would be that I would have got it sooner.

Edited by Moltke

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a little over $300 worth of IP stuff; two 2.8's and a DT Lite 20 vest. I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the chincy strap & buckle setup on the vest. I've added a pair of 2" slip-loks to keep the web belt from unlacing itself from the buckles. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to replace the web belt with a stiffer one.

I also have a condor MCR4 vest all packed up & ready to go back to Amazon. The MCR3 might be serviceable because it doesn't seem to have padded shoulder straps.

I just used my 'Load 2 6x24' for the first time last week. My only complaint is the buckle system, as noted in the previous post. Unsnapping it causes everything to slide to the ground.