Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun reloads

I have been practicing my reloads for my HK Fabarm FP6 pump shotgun. I have the blood blisters on the end of my thumb to proove it. Question on times.

Holding the shotgun by the pistol grip, in the shooting position. Shells in a Choate 6 round carrier on the belt. Par time on the timer set at 4 sec. At the beep, grab 4 from the carrier and load weak handed. Four rounds in the magazine before the second beep. I can accomplish this about 85% of the time. I can't seem to get them loaded much faster at this time.

Am I on the right track time wise? Or is this slow.

This is standing in a static position. I want to get this down first, then start to practice loading on the move.

I have large hands and can grab six at one time, but the loading seems more prone to fumbles. If I want to load eight, it is quicker to load 4 + 4 rather than load 6 + 2 from the carriers.

I am far from a 3-gun expert, but I have heard (maybe read in Front Site) that any time coming close to 1 loaded round per second for a "shoot - reload - shoot" drill is pretty sporty.

I think the example they gave was to start aimed on a popper, at the beep shoot one, reload eight and shoot one, and if you could get close to eight seconds you were smoking. I think they said da' Man (taran) doe sit in about seven.

Hope that helps.

You're definitely ahead of the pack. I think the non-match par time for the top dogs for 8+8 is in the neighborhood of 5.5 to 6.0 for bang - load 8 - bang. I'd be lucky to do it in 8 flat right about now.

Question.. How many rounds start in the gun? 1 or 2? Is it load 1, (gun now empty) load 8, then shoot 1. Or is it 2 loaded, shoot 1, one in the pipe, load 8 and then shoot? In the Gold, this would not make a diff, in a gun where you have to put one in the side and then activate the loading gate (I'm thinking Benelli) it might take a bit longer. Remington is not too big a deal since loading 1 in the side and then activating it with the bottom of the gate closes the bolt.

Or am I just complicating matters? :lol:

Vince

YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK!! Start loading without looking at the port and your times will really decrease. I was "lucky" and had a cornia cut in my right eye just befor the European shotgun championships and for 2 weeks thats the only way I could practice, eyes shut, after that the speed just keeps getting better. KURTM

My reloads are starting out of a six shell holder clipped to the belt.

Benny Hill. I don't see any possible way that I can shoot one, load eight, then shoot the last one in six seconds. Just standing in one place and loading eight rounds takes me almost eight seconds. That is without even firing a shot much less having to add a pump in there also.

Kurtm. I have tried the loading without looking trick and it is faster but I tend to fumble the load more often.

Mike.45 - I think I could come close to hitting the four second mark if I didn't have to pump after the first shot while I should be going for more shells.

I do feel the weak hand reload is going much faster for me. But this is only if I use a pistol grip shotgun stock. I was trying the same drills with a normal 870 but I couldn't do the weak hand reload as fast. I really can't say why the pistol grip makes a difference for me. Maybe it is just that I can keep the shotgun more stable with one hand.

Man you guys are fast.

How you move/don't move the shotgun is where you can pick up a lot of time. You have to multi-task. The rest of it is more about not doing stuff. Can I practice what I preach? Hell no. But I like to talk about it...

OK Sgt, I missed the pumper part ! ;) Well after a lot of practice these times are still achieveable, but I do mean a lot ! maybe add .4, .5 sec for the pump bit. I have been using it for a year now after I really got my ass kicked by Kurt and converted. I used to load like the Neil Beverly clips. I am sort of now starting to hit good times. Times practicing tend to be faster than doing it live for me, as I am trying to push the envelope, I also mess up more in practice.

Do remember that Kurt and Benny are godlike shotgun masters and these things take time ! Your times are fast, the cool thing is that they will simply keep on improving with practice :rolleyes:

BigDave, CCW / Choate shell carrier, belt tray whatever they are called.

mike.45

I am assuming you are now using the weak hand reload? If so, what made you switch. Was it faster? easier to do under match pressure? easier to do while moving?

I would think with a semi-suto, if you had strong enough wrists, you could actually be loading while you are still shooting if you used the weak hand reloads.

I only use a pump because I really like the idea of the "He-man" division.

I can tell from posted times that quite a few of you on this board are very "godlike" in their abilities. I would still like to see some video footage of someone really smokin' a reload. It sort of helps you break the mental barriers I guess.

YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK!! Start loading without looking at the port and your times will really decrease...

I'm going backward :o I can break the 5.5 sec loading 8 but only if I look at the loading and concentrate, either while moving or static. The key for me is to stay focus. Good thing about lots of practice - No more Benelli thumb :D

Sgt,

yep I switched as in my opinion you cant beat the weak hand whilst moving etc - I have been practicing with a pump, for He Man class, and there isnt really that much difference - so stick with it. The secret is the gun in the firing position 100% off the time.

I find the harder I look and try, the more I bugger it up, especially if someone is watching ! I sometimes load faster with eyes shut than open ! I guess it varies with each of our personnal psycological makeup. :blink:

I've run through a couple boxes of shells practicing reloads recently and I'm at about four seconds between shots, loading only three rounds. :(

Based on my port arms start to first shot of under a second, I'm burning a second re-mounting the gun after my reload.

I will hit it hard again once my thumb heals. I normally only plan to do about 10 - 15 reloads of four each when I practice. But that beep of the timer keeps calling me back for more.

Still no video clips of reloads?