Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open pin gun

randy01

I went to an indoor PPC match a couple years ago where a guy was shooting his Desert Eagle in 50 AE along side others.  First timers had a rude awakening! 

Paul

I had a 50AE Desert Eagle awhile ago. If you ever shot indoors everybody on the range had a rude awakening.

I think I will eventually get another one, more for collecting than anything.

Flyin40

Well I just have to throw in here....

First, Carmoney ?? who is that Harpo guy in the "Live Free or Die" state ??

Shot pins briefly at Goffstown, made a few Rolling Thunder matches.

My choice for an open pingun has been 10mm, I built a single stack 10 from

Caspian parts, Weigand 4 port barrel with their 3 port comp (Hybricomp?)

Tasco PDP4 on a Red Buff/Hiett/EGW scope mount.

It's worked for oh so many years and just doesn't get used that often now that

steel shooting has taken over around here.

My practice pin load is a 200 LTC with 5.8 of 231 and for match load is Hornandy

200XTP with 7.2 of Power Pistol, those 2 loads give about 200-205 PF.

If ya really want a screamer, at least form those shooting around you, try 180 grn

bullets loaded to a 205-210 pf VERY loud in a hybrid.

As far as a comp working on a 45, it has to work to some extent, an awful lot

of pin shooters swear by 'em !

I have to wonder if your project is for naught, but then again, maybe if you build

one, and then another person builds one ..................and the another?

Who know's, "Second Chance Combat Shoot 2006"

......I think I'll go clean and check the pingun and bring it to the range tommorow.

Dave, that curly-haired Harpo guy used to shoot pins and steel at Goffstown, Dunbarton, Nashua Fish & Game, Mass. Rifle Ass'n in Woburn, Hudson Fish & Game, and various other places around New England back in the '80s. He's 22 years old in that picture.

Here's another shot of him at a very early Tactical Arts Group (TAG) match in Nashua, circa 1988:

TAG match

;)

Mike

Randy01

I don't know squat about Pin guns and Pin shooting BUT I have the barrel you need for your Pin gun.....

Shuemann HYbrid .45 has 6 holes across the top and the front sight is infront of them on the barrel.

You can then get a non ported Hybrid and use it in the same gun to shoot USPSA Limited :) (or Limited 10)

Wha-LA Two guns for the price of 1

It is Brand New still in plastic box, Picked up off of prize table at a match (Thanks Shuemann !!!! for being a sponsor)

PM me if interested !!!!!

BTW from talking with Carmoney.... He knows his stuff when it comes to PINS ;)

Hopalong

Shuemann HYbrid .45 has 6 holes across the top and the front sight is infront of them on the barrel.

You can then get a non ported Hybrid and use it in the same gun to shoot USPSA Limited :) (or Limited 10)

It's my understanding that this only true for .40?? (ie, that you can shoot an STI/SV framed pistol w/ a blank/no-holes Hybrid/Tribrid barrel in Limited/L-10 if it's in .40 only - because no one's made and sold 500 units of it in .45)???

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, Hop, others. Great info. I had a STI, Caspian slide, Hybrid 4 port gun built for me in 10mm some time ago (15 years). Finally getting back into active shooting and so many rules and formats, I need to do some equipment mods. I think the above gun will still work well in USPSA Open and greatg on bowling pins.

I shot the Alabama Limited Sectional this week end with my Glock 35 and I think there was only one other Glock shooter in the 80 competitors. All day I've been thinking about having a Shuemann HYbrid non-ported barrel fitted to this gun to shoot Limited. By the rule book, (and this thread) I think its legal in .40 S&W. I take it that their aren't 500 10mm barrels made. Comments??

• 1 year later...

Flexmoney, ever try shooting USPSA with an Open Pin Gun? lol For the first two years I shot USPSA the only center fire gun I had was my single stack .45 acp open pin gun. Made me learn how to do mag changes smoothly. I finally got an STI up and running and it is nice not having to change mags every 10 rounds lol

pingun2.jpg

My Open pin gun

STIOpenGun001.jpg

My USPSA Open gun

Carmoney, just for your info the Mid-West Pinblasters are still alive and kicking. You might want to check out our web site, the link is in my sig on here.

Joe W.

PS, how on earth did I miss this thread for so long? lol

Can you safely do a 200+ pf load in a .40 limited gun with 180gr JHP? All the reading I've done here seemed to imply it was barely safe to make Major loading the .40 cal.

-Cuz

Can you safely do a 200+ pf load in a .40 limited gun with 180gr JHP? All the reading I've done here seemed to imply it was barely safe to make Major loading the .40 cal.

-Cuz

Hmm....to get a 180 to 200pf, it would need to be going around 1100fps....in the 40 Short & Weak

(Blazer 180's used to make ~ 190pf out of my Glock 35)

Ahhh....pin guns! Now you're talking my language. This IPSC stuff is just something to do for awhile until pin-shooting makes a comeback! :)

Mike

Mike,

Is there any website you are aware of similar to this one that has info and tips on pin shooting?

-Cuz

Cuz, although our club doesn't have a forum like this you can see the latest happenings at the Mid-West Pinblasters web site. Some photos, some videos and information on our club.

Joe W.

Joe,

I had already checked it out when you referenced it in an earlier post. Very nice, that's what got me started on looking for other related sites. Nice pics too. Looks like a great place to shoot pins, but a little bit of a drive for me up here in MA.

Thanks for the info.

-Cuz

Cool, I do know there is a pin shooting group on Yahoo although it isn't that active. I had forgotten all about it, hope it helps. Just do a search in the groups for pin shooting and you should be able to find it but if not let me know and I will track down a link for you.

Joe W.

Cuz, although our club doesn't have a forum like this you can see the latest happenings at the Mid-West Pinblasters web site. Some photos, some videos and information on our club.

Joe W.

Joe,

I had already checked it out when you referenced it in an earlier post. Very nice, that's what got me started on looking for other related sites. Nice pics too. Looks like a great place to shoot pins, but a little bit of a drive for me up here in MA.

Thanks for the info.

-Cuz

The Mass. Rifle Club which I think is in Woburn still shoots pins. See www.massrifle.com

Great bunch of guys and no slouches in clearing the pin tables.

The Mass. Rifle Club which I think is in Woburn still shoots pins. See www.massrifle.com

Great bunch of guys and no slouches in clearing the pin tables.

Thanks. I haven't made it up to Mass Rifle yet. I'll have to put it on my list.

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...