Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight

wingnut

I just got an order of 147gr coated bullets and they weight out at 149.0 to 150.3 How should I load them. If I load for 147 and get checked at a match and they weight 140.0 I am DQ. Need help.

The mold the manufacturer uses is for 147s, but it is never exact. Then add the coating and you have up to 3% difference. You can ignore it and load normally or assume the chrono man will pull a 149 bullet and load to a safe velocity to make power factor. Certainly no DQ to worry about.

They are the Blue bullets. I meant if I load for 147 and get checked and they weigh 149 or 150 is that a DQ. I shoot USPSA and IDPA.

That actually works in your favor. They pull one bullet at Chrono and weigh it, that is used for the power factor equation. They shoot three rounds over the chrono and average those and multiple that by the weight of the bullet they pulled or if they don't pull it, they will use the declared bullet weight. If you don't make power factor by the last bullet, you have the option to pull it and have it re-weighed or shoot it hoping for a higher chrono reading. Even if they are in the 149 range, use the 147 as a minimum in your calculations so it does not short-change you.

And you will absolutely not get DQ'ed for weights and measures at the Chrono stage, you can only make PF or not make it. If you go sub-minor, you shoot for no score. The only way you can get DQ'ed at Chrono is a safety infraction as you are handling the firearm at that station.

You know, after posting this, it got me curious. I had some Blue and Bayou 147s on the bench now so I went to weigh a few. I pulled 5 bullets from each box. The Blue Bullets ranged from 149.1 - 149.7 and Bayou bullets ranged from 146.0 - 146.8. I can see where you are worried about it but don't. It's only a few grains and if you base your calculations on the lowest possible, then you are doing okay. Your power factor (PF) shouldn't be that close anyway. If you shooting these in Minor, which I'm sure you are, strive to get in the 132-135 PF range. That way, even if your bullet is off low by 5 grains, you will not go sub-Minor. You should be looking for an average speed of 900 (I would stay around 925) or so and if you calculate that at 147, that would 132. So if your bullet dropped down to 142 gr., that would still average out to 127 PF but I'm sure your bullets will not get down that low. What is your average now? What about your ES/SD?

I'm curious how the 125gr 9mm weigh...but I already loaded them! They seem to shoot great, but they make my fingers dirty after handling/loading mags...I don't like that. I've also been experimenting with Ibejihead's and they are cleaner handling...but I've never weighed the bullets for consistency before.

I use the Ibejihead 135s and Iam working on the 145s and they weigh just about right on every time. I just wanted to try the Blue Bullets in 147 I will chrono them again tomorrow.

I'm curious how the 125gr 9mm weigh...but I already loaded them! They seem to shoot great, but they make my fingers dirty after handling/loading mags...I don't like that. I've also been experimenting with Ibejihead's and they are cleaner handling...but I've never weighed the bullets for consistency before.

As long as you factor in to make power factor with a 124 you'll be fine. Just chrono'd at Ohio State and the bullet they pulled weighed 124.5

They used 124 to calculate my power factor.

I just poured out 100 ACME 147 grain bullets. Stuck each one on a digital scale. From #1 to #100 there was .2 difference in the weight. That is the reason they are more expensive. Like others here have stated you would not be DQed and it is a very difficult, almost impossible task to get cast bullets to the same weight without spending a lot of time mixing your lead and keeping it mixed as the large pot on an automated machine goes down. Blue Bullets have always shot extremely well for me even though their weight may not be perfect in every batch. Coated bullet are generally much cheaper than jacketed so I guess you can expect small discrepancies in weight and diameter but for what we are doing with them they generally work just fine. I would load and shoot!