Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nationals

hopalong

I have been to 2 USPSA Nationals now, 1 with an Auto and 1 with a Wheelie....

I find that the nationals werer no harder than local club matches except that there are just more stages to screw up....

The shooting is no harder (for me) but you just have to keep your head in the game better...

For those thinking about going but are hesitant my advice is get your slot and go...

Staff at these things are World Class, they know what they are doing.

Other shooters from around the country will be on your squad and it is nice talking with them about regional shooting (amazing how things change but are still the same) and just visiting with friends you may not see but once or twice a year.

As far as hard goes 3 matches come to my mind:

2005 Florida Open i still recomend this match to anyone though just take your time shooting. ;)

2004 Area-3 <_<

2003 Area-4 Man was this one tough ! :wacko:

Any way The more the Merrier, with only 2 1/2 days to shoot it will be timewise no different than an Area match. but with WAY more shooters and shooting !!!

Hope to see you there !!!! I will be the bald guy with a limp and a wheel gun on and a big smile :D

Hopalong

The nationals test consistency more than anything else.

2005 will be my first nationals, but this is kind of what I figgured. With 18 stages, you don't have to win every single one, but shoot consistantly through the entire match. I am looking forward to the Nationals.

Hopalong,

Glad to hear you thought the 2004 Area 3 match was hard. I thought it was maybe just me.

For that matter, TT placed 2nd this past year in Limited and didn't win a single stage.

The best indicator of that is where you see shooters who may be very good skill wise and place very highly on some stages but they finish 43rd overall at the match.

My biggest goal this year is to develop the consistency needed to win big matches.

hey Jake glad to have you drop in !!!! :)

As Usuall you are Right on.... Consistancy wins the marathon matches PERIOD

My intent was to let those know who have not been to the Nationals that the shooting is no harder than club matches....

Some of mine are WAY harder than anything I have seen at Nationals.

TriggerTime..... :wacko::blink: The Texas Star ???? :huh:

That crazy 1 shot per target THING !!!! :angry:

Jake see you at A-6 ?

Any way, Nationals are just more stages, Not Harder stages (Haven't seen this years yet though) so come on and shoot!!

hopalong

The nat's can be hard - lest one forget the 1990 nationals -

Back then iron sights were the norm and they had some TOUGH shots. The computer stage was generally pretty challenging as well.

Nat's do test consistency there is no doubt and they are generally not really much harder than a solid local match. But it ain't no walk in the park either. Challenging is the best phrase - mentally as well as on the trigger.

That's just my $.02 - of course I haven't been to a nationals in 7 years so I may be a little out of touch . . .

JB

Ok see you in Louisiana...... going to get my A$$ handed back to me in GUMBO :lol::lol::lol:

HOP

Make'em earn the points HOP, don't give'em free ones before you get there!

No pressure, but I have a side bet with someone that you place in the top two... :lol:

Now that's CONFIDENCE for you !!!!!

Thanks RM10

You might need to make it down south yourself should be good shooting....FOOD IS GREAT !!!!

Hop

Planning, hoping, praying....I get a slot to the Nationals. I would love to see how some real revolver shooters do it. ;)

I'd like to make it down there to take a class with JM. I might get a chance to take the class up here in Ohio if he can make it and the "local" club can arrange it this summer. I keep trying to get Steve A. and Flex interested in taking the revolver class but they seem partial to those slide gizmos. :P

TriggerTime..... :wacko::blink: The Texas Star ???? :huh:

That crazy 1 shot per target THING !!!! :angry:

There were some really whacked stages at Area 3. Anyone who puts hard cover in the same zip code as a Texas star needs mental help.

Not necessarily harder, but more stages to screw up, and more people to screw up against! You can win lots of club matches at multiple clubs, and get pounded at Nats. It is the most fun you can have with little time committment, and it is all in one place.

I'll take that as a compliment T. T. he he he,

probably the funniest thing I have ever seen (now 6 months later) was

Jamie Craig shoot a open gun at that stupid star with a big stick, and then have to reload to finish it all 5 rounds of it, I did the same thing, but man you couldn't cry, so you just have to laugh and say send the star back to TX!! or at least the 5 lb. weight!!!

Manny

I've love to shoot the Nationals. Hope that next year is possible.

I got a slot for my L-10 finish at the sectional, already turned it down due to the new job. Now that I have the money, I don't have the time.

Going to be a major effort to get to the sectional this year, but it will happen. Sort of HAS to since I'm designing/building/working a stage.

I hope to win something just to take a bit of the "hit" out of paying for the props out of my own pocket. Going to be a cool stage though.

hopalong,

You bring up a good point.

I've never measured or anything, but those targets at the Nationals have always looked just like the targets we use at the local match at home.

My first Nationals...as C-class...my impression was that the stages weren't very complex or tricky...they were just good shooting tests.

The Nationals tests shooting skills. We don't want a National champ decided by a "circus trick" stage. You won't find any of those. I mean the really strange ones like land mines or parachute harnesses or the like. Although I felt the "windmills" at the 2004 were circus tricks and should never been allowed.

Now at a good Area or Sectional you get a good amount of what I call crazy stages.

Consistancy is tested on 10 stages in one day at an area. Not a lot different than 24 stages in 3 or 5 days. I think winning the Nationals is teh biggest accomplishment in this sport though.

Oh man, don't know about your stage designs but the last "circus trick" I shot remains very fresh in my mind. And how can I ever forget, I had to wear a thong and a bra (over my existing clothes, thankfully!) under time pressure.<_<

From the few vids I saw about your Nats, I have to say they're really difficult but not impossible. Also, one thing I really enjoy watching are the single-position clump of steel targets that seem to be popular. They look deceptively simple but you'll probably burn some time and ammo there if you're not careful.