Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners Handgun of Choice?

SAW45

Hi!

Where I live, the local match is not a sanctioned match of any of the large organizations. It's just an organized shoot for locals to have fun at. We shoot at metal targets and paper also. I will never be a master class shooter, and will not be traveling to any sanctioned matches. We shoot 2 classes, semi-auto and revolver. Caliber must be at least 9MM with no preference given to any specific calibers. With that in mind I'd like to buy a 9MM semi-auto. I can get all the brass I want for free, and the 9MM is relatively inexpensive to reload. I'd like to buy a 9MM that won't break my bank, and yet will be accurate enough for competition and reliable at the same time. I'd probably put around 100-200 rounds a week through it, and I'd be shooting lead bullets. I'd like some suggestions on a choice of semi-auto, and why you feel it's a good choice.  Thanks in advance!!

The easiest, simplest 9mm semiauto to learn to shoot is the Glock. (that was a little painful to admit)

The springfield XD is also a great fairly cheap 9mm and very easy to shoot.

you didn't indicate a level of experience or familiarity with other handguns.

Oops, just read the lead part again. I'll let someone else talk about lead in Glocks and Springfield XDs.

I prefer Berettas, but they take a little longer to learn to shoot well than a Glock. Lead is no problem in a Beretta, and if you have revolver experience, the DA/SA transition will not bother you. Used Berettas are easy to find and 15 rd mags are out there.

Good luck, and remember that the shooter is the most important piece of equipment.

SA

Any shooting is just plain fun.  Best of luck to you.

Good starter guns.  Used guns from a good manufacture (glocks, rugers, berettas, etc.) can be had for good prices.  

I like Glocks and that's what I shoot but be sure to get something that fits you.  You also shouldn't shoot lead out of glock due to its barrel design.  You can replace the barrel with an conventional rifled after market one and shoot lead safely.

I also like Rugers.  They are inexpensive, sturdy and run well.  You can also get them DA, DAO, with safety, etc.

Also try shooting alot of  different guns, then you can get a feel for what you like.  

Check out a CZ75.  It should cost a couple hundred less than the Glock, won't need a new barrel, mags are cheaper, and you can use all that money you saved to buy a Dillon Square Deal B so that you can keep shooting and saving even more money.  

I Love You Guys! (Sniffling and a lone tear running down my cheek!) hehehe  No really, I really appreciate the response I've rec'd here. I neglected to tell you that I currently shoot a Colt 1911-A1 Series 70 which has been modified to be as reliable as possible. I've been using 7 round mags, and have been ready to make the purchase of 4 good 10 round mags. At the price for Wilson's or Brown's, I'm thinking the 9MM would be a better investment now. I can't use the cheaper 10s, because the magazine well has been beveled on my Colt, and without a positive external stop on the mag, the magazine goes into the Colt a little too deeply, and cause the gun to malfunction. Thanks again!

See my other post under the Glock section as well...

If you currently shoot a 1911, the Springfield XD will point and index better for you than a Glock more than likely. The Glocks have a different point of aim than 1911s.

As mentioned before, with Glock its advised to get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead, or just shoot jacketed.

XDs will run on lead, the rifling in the barrel is conventional, not the polygonal like in  Glocks.

So once again (can you tell I'm biased  I recommend the XD.

.....a used Springfield XD  < $350  (if you can find one!)

.....Blazer 9mm  < $3.99  box of $50

.....Kydex holster for an XD <$30

Not having to  spend money to "fix up" a Glock to make it suitable for competition  -  Priceless.  

I think that Dave Sevigny shot an "out of the box" G34 at the Factory Gun Nationals this year.  Stock trigger, no changes.  He was second only to the Todd Jarrett.

The only difference between a G34 trigger and a G17 trigger is the connector...a $15-20 drop-in part (takes me about two minutes to replace).

Blazer ammo shoots great out of stock Glocks.

Saw,  I took much the same path as you have described,  tuned 1911 at my first match,  started looking to make it work, decided that I was beating a dead horse.   I got a G-19 and shot production.  The model 19 is a vastly superior gun to many I believe.  Good grip,  low shooting cost and ultra reliability.  The G-34 is a fantastic piece.  I would recommend one very much.  Very smooth right out of the box and modifcations are pretty simple for production class stuff.  

At my local matches glocks are the norm in production.  Unless you have a problem with the design I couldn't think of a better choice.  Cheap and reliable,  reliable being the big one.  When I was mired with equipment problems with my 1911's I'm sure (and justifiably so) the glock guys just shook their head and wondered why is he was trying so hard!!!

Glock = Production

Just buy the good 10 rounder magazines and use the reliable gun that you're already familiar with.

Or if you HAVE TO BUY a new gun (i understand that bug!) Get the Taurus 92 - best damn gun and customer service I'VE EVER DEALT with!  I've got damn near 200k rounds through mine!

shooter40: I'm with you on SA XD I hadn't had a chance to look at one until the other day with my son, he's in the process of buying a carry gun.  We had every intention of getting a Glock, but we looked at the XD40 and IMHO the XD40 felt better in my hands the trigger kicked butt on the Glock, it's put together vary well and the price was less then the Glock.  As with anything else time will tell.

Ya know, there are  lots of endeavors where a competitor will try to hide some "trick" thing they are doing to get an advantage over their opponents. When I was shooting competative archery nationally, I used to think  that my fellow archers were the greatest bunch of people in the world. Always willing to help out etc. But shooters in general, have to be at the top of the list for helping out newbies, being free with their assistance and just all in all being good people. In fact, it almost seems like a challange. The experienced shooters will do everything to help you get the best equipment you can afford, the best training drills you can use, and all the advice needed to excel to your own capability. And when that's all done and said, they challange you to NOW come and beat them on a level playing field. After all, what pleasure can we get out of  beating another shooter, when the other shooter is at a disadvantage because of equipment, or not knowing how to  improve oneself? In my mind,, none at all! :) Thanks to all of you, a great bunch of people here!!

Quote: from Shooter Grrl on 4:54 pm on Sep. 11, 2002

I STARTED shooting IPSC with my Taurus in 1989.  I was superbly pissed off when I found out I couldn't "use" my 15 rd mags in production

Kath,

You can use 'em.  You just gotta count the right # of rounds when you fill 'em.  I prefer High caps for production when I bring my S&W out to play because the ten rounders are almost impossible to slam in when the slide is forward.....

Quote: from warpspeed on 11:10 pm on Sep. 12, 2002

SAW,

My rule of thumb is to never spend less on a gun than your rent/mortage payment

Buy a S_I and don't look back....................

For those that pay less than $500 a month on rent, I guess that rules out an S_I.  

And for arguments sake there are plenty of guns that work well near that price range, if you stay out of Open or Limited.

Quote: from Flexmoney on 1:09 pm on Sep. 11, 2002

I think that Dave Sevigny shot an "out of the box" G34 at the Factory Gun Nationals this year.  Stock trigger, no changes.  He was second only to
the
Todd Jarrett.

Not to take away anything from Dave Sevigny, but I guess I'm just skeptical; it may have been all factory parts in the trigger, but do you really think it was "out  of the box"? He HAD to have done some polishing/tuning (or maybe it was provided to him "factory" polished?)

But I could be wrong  (again!)