Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax mods for a woman....

RWatts

So I finally got my wife to agree to shoot 3 gun with me. I went big because although she doesn't know a ton about firearms, she knows if I'm shooting an STI and she's shooting a glock (not a shot at glock). I got her a colt CRP18 pro with a vortex razor 1-6, an STI edge in 9mm and the new versamax comp. I sent the shotgun to CRums and had the factory shortcomings worked on, but my wife has two complaints.

1. It's heavy.

I'm afraid there is not much that can be done about this, but the LOP may be a little long which is moving the weight forward. How much can be removed from the stock? Are the any other alternatives?

2. The forend is to "fat".

As you know the muzzle end of the versa tapers but her arms are not long enough to reach so she grips the fatter part by the receiver. Is the any aftermarket forends available.? Anyone who works on contouring the forend? ( I haven't called CRums, probably a good place to start)Getting the stock shortened may solve this issue as well. But maybe a benelli will fit.

Ideas?

I have short arms and even by cutting the buttstock to the max still felt unbalanced to me. I bought a Mesa tactical buttstock and it decresed the length of pull to 12 inches now it feels great, my left arm is more in front of the the fore end. The only drawback is that it has a pistol grip but now I really like it. If you decide to go this route get the limbsaver version and adjustable comb.

Edited by Mad Doc

Good luck with this... I asked one of the companies who sell shotgun parts how I could lighten one up, and only got a snarky 'well most people are trying to add weight' as a response. I'd love if a Versamax wasn't so heavy, as the soft shooting is a huge sell to me.

A major part of the reason it shoots soft is the ARGO gas system.

You can cut almost 2" off the factory stock. As for the fore-end, there is not a lot that can be done to slim it down.

You could potentially cut a few inches off the muzzle, but that is expensive and won't gain a lot. Remington is working on a compact version, so maybe the stocks for that will fit as well.

This is much of what I have been looking at in my other thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?s=24d577b5494b3ab1c80d455daff8675b&showtopic=214170

You can cut only about .5 -.75 off of the VM Synthetic stock (the one with the removable cheek piece) while keeping enough structure in there. However the sorbathane style but pad is huge and can be replaced with a much shorter one or just cut.

I also cut down one of the barrels on my gun and it make the gun much more lively. I've been considering removing the vent rib to pull more weight off the front, but I don't think either of these mods would be the best way to go for a 3G competition gun.

The VM is just a nose heavy, soft shooting, well designed, poorly executed, shotgun.

I'm sure when the Remington V3 is available, all these problems will be completely solved.

:roflol:

So I guess the 1.7" I cut off can't be cut off? :roflol:

Unfortunately, the "poorly executed" part is not far off. The V3? I have even more doubt about for the 3Gun game.

What're the real options for lightening up the front of a shotgun? Remove the rib (put on a T-2), chop the barrel to 18.5", replace the tube with a CF model, remove a lot of material from the loading port, lightweight bolt...

Grind down the handguard? I know that's done very well in lever actions. A slim front end would be amazing. The only non-standard front end I could find was a 'tactical' model, which isn't promising.

Reprofile the barrel to lighter? I know there are some lightweight shotgun barrels out there, but haven't seen anyone reprofiling one.

As far as the rear end, anyone running a bumpbuster (http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/) or something like it in 3 gun + 1" limbsaver?

So I guess the 1.7" I cut off can't be cut off? :roflol:

I was assuming you were talking about both the pad and the stock cut for the length reduction.

Were you talking about a Sportsman stock?

1.7" is to the cheek pad area, and the part that the upper screw threads into would be almost or entirely gone.

I'll clarify what I meant.

I cut ~.75 off the my stock, as that leaves enough plastic to still fit the recoil pad and thread both screws into the stock. In my opinion, any more would likely require rework of the stock going beyond a simple cut.

Ando, no I cut off 1.7" of a few VersaMax Tadctical stocks and then put on a 3/4" Kick-Eze, for just over 2" of total shortening of the stock.

A little JB Weld with an embedded nut and a polymer crosspin. Took about 15 minutes after the stock was cut.

What're the real options for lightening up the front of a shotgun? Remove the rib (put on a T-2), chop the barrel to 18.5", replace the tube with a CF model, remove a lot of material from the loading port, lightweight bolt...

Grind down the handguard? I know that's done very well in lever actions. A slim front end would be amazing. The only non-standard front end I could find was a 'tactical' model, which isn't promising.

Reprofile the barrel to lighter? I know there are some lightweight shotgun barrels out there, but haven't seen anyone reprofiling one.

As far as the rear end, anyone running a bumpbuster (http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/) or something like it in 3 gun + 1" limbsaver?

That Bumpbuster looks like a Beretta kick off

That Bumpbuster looks like a Beretta kick off

It's a lot like that in idea, yeah... except one can install it on a chopped stock. Bumpbuster + 1" limbsaver and about a 13" LOP is about what I'd be looking for, IIRC.

I have short arms and even by cutting the buttstock to the max still felt unbalanced to me. I bought a Mesa tactical buttstock and it decresed the length of pull to 12 inches now it feels great, my left arm is more in front of the the fore end. The only drawback is that it has a pistol grip but now I really like it. If you decide to go this route get the limbsaver version and adjustable comb.

^ THIS. I also run a Mesa Tactrical Urbino stock and the combination of shorter length, Limbsaver pad, and pistol grip to hang onto really makes it much easier to control and drive. I don't know why so many here are down on PG stocks... IMHO they rock.

What Mark is describing may be perfect. I would've afraid to give my wife a PG stock. If she somehow let it get away from her that PG can slap the crap out of your wrist...

I think you're pretty much stuck with the girth of the foreend on the receiver end because that is where the gas system is housed. I'm pretty small but I just learned to use as it is because it was the only 3gun shotgun I could get at the time, and it's so soft shooting.

Edited by Dannybot