Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9mm starline brass?

I recently bought 200 pcs of new starline brass for my 9mm. Is it normal when loading new brass for it be hard to push up the handle back to the staring position? I'm using a 550 press and I think it's the die with the powder funnel. I've only loaded once fired range brass before this. Thanks.

Yes, my new 9mm Starline on a 650 or 1050 will 'pop'/stick much more than used brass. I've polished my funnel a bit with simichrome, also clean it off every now and again with a rag when sticking gets more noticable. And a little case lube on the outside of the powder funnel, just when cleaning/wiping down, all things I've done to help.

BTW, you didn't mentioned, but if you use a u-die (undersize sizing die), that will also make the powder funnel stick a lot more.

You could try throwing your new brass in the tumbler for a little while. The residue left after the tumble should keep the powder funnel from sticking. You can even add a little car wax to the media.

When loading new starline 38super i'll tumble it in corncob with some nufinish for an hour or so, and yes...it makes the reloading process smoother. Also, i use a squirt of Hornady OneShot and that helps, too.

Brand spanking new brass is sticky.

You can also use a VERY SLIGHT amount of Unique (or similar brand) case lube. Apply a TINY amount to your index finger and swirl it on the outside of the powder drop tube that flares the inside of the case. Do this about every 10-20 rounds and you will be good to go. The same thing happens to brass when it has been cleaned in a sonic cleaner prior to running it through the loader.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into this problem when I started wet stainless cleaning my 45ACP cases. It got to the point where it took 2 hands for me to pull the upstroke. The problem is if the powder funnel has any imperfections brass will stick to them, and more brass will stick on that, and it snowballs until you have vertical lines of brass all the way around the powder funnel. I used my Dremel to sand the brass lines off, but that only made things worse because I created so many more imperfections. I called Dillon and they said this was normal for new or really clean brass, and that I should clean the powder funnel every 25-35 rounds. That is stupid and completely defeats the purpose of a progressive press, so I kept searching for a solution.

I removed the powder funnel and basically put it in a lathe. I started with 400 grit sandpaper to polish the funnel and went to 800, 1000, 1500, and finished with 2000 grit. My powder funnel is magically smooth now. It's also 0.003" slimmer in diameter which I believe reduces friction slightly. I have since run 2000 rounds of 45ACP through it, and it is still perfectly polished, with no resistance on the upstroke at all.

I wish I had taken a picture of my funnel before I cleaned it the first time. The brass lines were so thick they created actual ridges you could feel. There was zero shine. This picture is after I polished with my Dremel and ran 100 rounds through it.

Dillon%20Powder%20Funnel_zpsqa1njvue.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am reloading new Starline brass, and you are correct about its "sticking" to the powder funnel.

In my experience, the following three things have completely eliminated the problem of new brass sticking:

(1) Tumble the new brass, and add NuFinish to the tumbling media.

(2) Lubricate the new cases (Hornady's One Shot Case Lube works well for me).

(3) Clean (use isopropyl alcohol) and then lightly polish the powder funnel (use a Scotch Brite pad or some 0000 steel wool).

Hope this helps. Best wishes.