Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to get started in Revo

Endurokids

What is a good platform to start with between the S&W 627 and 625?

Where is a good place to pick up moon clip holders and a good revolver holster?

I shoot USPSA primarily, the classes I shoot are L-10, L and SS now.

I reload 9mm and .45 but prefer the .45's.

I am not opposed to .38 Super so I'm also considering this caliber.

Where can I find good used equipment, besides here of course.

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

627 converted to 9mm. (Tom at TK custom can do it)

Or

929 but its super fickle with ammo. (I might sell mine)

The 627 with the conversation will cost about the same as a 929 with none of the issues

www.tkcustom.com

TK custom blue moon clips with federal brass.

Speed E rack with magnetic posts.

Easy off the table starts

You need the TK blue moon clips

www.speed-e-rack.com

Cr speed holster.

Mike

I would buy the performance center gun chambered in 357.

So you run .356 or .357 bullets

(I run 356 bullets)

If you want a 627-4 in 38 super from factory your looking to spend around 1800.00 for it..

Tks can do the trigger for you when you get the cylinder cut.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them but I'm negotiating a trade on a 625 - 2 in .45 as of this writting.

I'll let you know how it goes.

My next choice will be a 627 PC.

Can you shoot .38 Super out of a .357 Mag?

Also is 4" better than 5" bbl?

Thanks for your help here.

I have both. The 627PC is .357 and the 625 is .45acp. Both are great guns. I reload for both and both are very tame and shootable. The moonclips for the 625 are cheaper and not as picky on brass as the TK moonclips are. Forget Winchester brass with the TK clips.

It depends on what level you want to shoot. If your shooting for fun a 625 will be fine but if you plan to compete at a high level an 8 shoot is the only way to go. Look at Nat's. You can count on your fingers how many 625s will be there.

You have to cut the cylinder to fit 38 super. You can have it cut to fit both. It will bulge the 38 super brass.

Other option you can get the gun cut for super and size 9mm with a super sizing die.

Hope that helps.

Go with a 627 in .357. Barrel length is important, but not that important. If it's not worth the extra 200$ for 1" more sight radius to you, then don't worry about it.

Other than that the Pro and PC are the same gun. They both need work to be perfect.

Buy Hearthco clips straight from him, and a box of starline short colt brass. Heavy bullet, fast powder, make pf and go shoot.

Speed-e-rack and north mountain are the most popular moon clip holders. The Blade Tech speed rig is likely the most secure holster that still draws plenty fast. Lots of guys using the same race holsters as open and limited guns.

It seems that I made a mistake on the model that I'm hoping to trade for, it's a S&W Mod 25 in .45 not a 625.

If this doesn't work out, I'll go with a 627.

What exactly do you mean by short colt brass? Are they .38's or 9mm's?

It depends on what level you want to shoot. If your shooting for fun a 625 will be fine but if you plan to compete at a high level an 8 shoot is the only way to go. Look at Nat's. You can count on your fingers how many 625s will be there.

You have to cut the cylinder to fit 38 super. You can have it cut to fit both. It will bulge the 38 super brass.
Other option you can get the gun cut for super and size 9mm with a super sizing die.

Hope that helps.

Which caliber out of all will be the least trouble regarding ejecting brass, in the 8 rd revos?

I only want to do this once and want to make an informed decision, based on your collective input.

Thanks again for your valuable input guys.

Short colt is 38 brass cut to 9mm length. You use 9mm load data. It simply works, no ejection problems. Some guys use long colt, and some use mid colt which is .900 length. Check out starline's website for info.

Only have to buy it once, you get it all back and the pressure is low enough that brass lasts a long time.

Simplicity is key.. You reload 9mm than build a 9mm revolver.

The only gun that has any issues with extraction is the 929. Its the titanium cylinder. But its any easy fix with running an long oal. (I know this.. I converted my dash 5 to a titanium cylinder and had it cut for 9mm. Same issues as the 929)

Short colt, long colt, 38 special and 357 are all the same family just different case lengths.

You would have to retool to reload it.

When I got into revo I reloaded 9mm. so I got my revolver cut for 9mm. I used to the same ammo in my bottom feeder that I used in my revolver.

The 9mm is a tapered case thats why the cylinder has to be cut. Tapered case going into a tapered hole.. Its fast and easy.

TK moonclips - free federal brass and you done

Short colt is 38 brass cut to 9mm length. You use 9mm load data. It simply works, no ejection problems. Some guys use long colt, and some use mid colt which is .900 length. Check out starline's website for info.

Only have to buy it once, you get it all back and the pressure is low enough that brass lasts a long time.

This is for sure in any case. I have starline long colt brass I have fired more than 25 times and still loading it...

As I understand it, .38 short colt can be reloaded with my 9mm dies and set up?

This would be a no brainer for me.

Also, if I get a 627 in .357 M will I need to cut the cylinder to shoot .38 short colt?

I'm honning in on my "new pistol" here!

Thanks guys!

As I understand it, .38 short colt can be reloaded with my 9mm dies and set up?

This would be a no brainer for me.

Also, if I get a 627 in .357 M will I need to cut the cylinder to shoot .38 short colt?

I'm honning in on my "new pistol" here!

Thanks guys!

You will need a different (38 Special / .357 Mag) sizing die. Should be fine with a 9mm seating and crimp. No need to cut the cylinder to shoot short colt. It's essentially a cut down 38 special.

Do not cut cylinder down as it is not worth it but it does look cool. Shoot short colt and do not have cylinder reamed for 9mm unless you just want the revolver for 9mm. By shooting short colt you still leave the revolver capable of shooting 357 which will help in the resale or if you ever want to take it hunting. 38 short colt will do everything a 9mm can and then some. My suggestion is heavy bullets and slow powder. A nice recipe is VV320 3.2 grains and 160 coated bullets seated to 1.165. Should be about 133 PF. You do need a 357/38 sizing die.

I'm just getting back into revolver after a bunch of years off. I have a 625-4 5inch and 627-8 Performance center. I chose the 627 with short colts from Starline, 160 grain coated bullets from TwoAlpha, moonclips from TK, reloading/unloading tool from BMT, TiteGroup powder, and Lee short colt reloading dies. I works wonderfully, way ahead of the 625. I considered the 9mm route, but am glad that I went this route. The brass has been loaded 4-5 times and looks like new.

Skip

Thanks to all for the help. I'm leaning towards the 627 in .357 now and shooting the .38 short colt in it.

Now for a real dilemma, who is the most qualified smith with decent turn around times, to send the pistol to have if modified for competition?