Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM or 38 Super

Lee Watne

I am thinking about customizing a 1911 to either 9MM or 38 Super. What do you folks think the best choice would be? I would reload for either one and use the 38 Super Comp cases for the 38 Super to eliminate the rim. I know there is a lot of cheap 9MM ammo on the market and that makes a strong argument for the 9MM but having gone that route, I think quality reloads are cheaper than quality factory ammo so with reloading there would be little difference in ammo cost other than cheaper cases for the 9MM. Theoretically, non tapered 38 Super ammo should feed better than tapered 9MM in a single stack. Also, the pistol would have a ramped barrel.

I've owned both types in single-stack form and an STI Eagle in 9mm. Still have the 9's and the super is gone.....

The reason I sold the super and held on to the 9's is because factory 9mm is cheap, easy to find, and there is no guilt if I don't want to rat the brass up when I'm done.

As many have posted here, 9mm can easily be loaded to major power factor if that is what you desire. I've shot my buddy's 9mm major load in both guns and, while you know you touched off a hot one, the guns ran beautifully. Kicked butt on bowling pins, actually :)

Mine run reliably with factory-length (and power) ammo but if you're going to load your own it shouldn't be a problem to load 'em long if you need to.

If you're going to reload (which the original message indicated was a "yes"), then the super wins hands down. You'll have few reliabilty problems both with the gun and the magazines.

If you don't reload, the cheap 9mm ammo makes the 9mm 1911 a winner. That's why I chose it.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the 38 Super. I will use it in IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol (which means it must have a bushing barrel) and if it turns out accurate enough I may use it for a limited amount of NRA Bullseye competition in center fire.

Wow, I sure didn't expect to be the lone holdout for 9mm...........

Let me sell it some more by stating that MY single stack is 100% using McCormick .38 super 10 round mags. My STI wide-body is also good-to-go after some initial problems getting her to lock open when empty.

Did I mention I REALLY don't like picking up brass and can get all the 9mm brass I want for free.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the 38 Super. I will use it in IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol (which means it must have a bushing barrel) and if it turns out accurate enough I may use it for a limited amount of NRA Bullseye competition in center fire.

I have an idea.

Why not get a 9mm barrel with a bushing fitted in addition to whatever kind of .38 super barrel you're going to have fit?

You can then use the 9mm for IDPA and practice on the cheap, but when you need to drive some tacks, go with your home brewed loads and the .38 barrel.

You'd have the best of both worlds.

Tupperware, for what it is worth I will give ya half a vote for 9mm. I have a SS in 38 super and have frequently thought about having a 9mm barrel fit just so I could stop cringing every time I walk away from a stage. It is sickly accurate in Super and runs 110%, but i cant help but think that a good gunsmith could make it do the same in 9mm.

With double stack magazines 9 MM or 9X23 work fine because of the way the ammo stacks in the magazines but with the single stack the tapered cartridge cases of the 9 MM's fan out in a full magazine (nine or ten loaded)and can nose dive if things don't go right. Something else may be wrong but that's my theory.

My 9mm works great too, but I've seen many more than don't.

Let's put it this way ...

If you have 100 1911s in .38 super and 100 1911s in 9mm, I believe that a larger number of the guns chambered in .38 super will function 100% without a lot of work, and that overall there will be more reliability problems among the 100 9mm pistols.

Sure, a lot of it magazine related, but regardless of the problem, it just seems easier and less stressful to get a .38 super to run.

It's kind of like .45 vs. .40. I've seen 100 (or more) .45 1911s that run like tops to every one .40 I've seen that will run okay. Okay, as usual I pulled that number from my butt, but you get my point.

I will also say that the 9 round magazines built by Metalform for Springfield are the best thing that has happened to the 9mm 1911. If your gun can work at all, it will work with those magazines.