Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure what went wrong

jtrump

You might be limp wristing it.

Smart aleck. :)

Bullet bounced off of the target?! Sounds to me like a primer only reload with little to no powder.

You did mention that you were having issues on the charging station.

Sometimes the simplest answer really is the answer.

In spit of others experiences, I had nearly the same thing with one shot & vv3n37 powder. Had a bullet stick in the target. It was from a large batch of primers & powder. I threw away one shot & went to dillon. No more problems. I attributed it to too much one shot without enough dry time though. Unburned gummy powder. Left some rounds in the sun for a day & had no trouble with them....

I checked the powder charge from pulling some of the bullets and the weight was right, maybe .1 grain lower but still would cycle the gun. I also attribute it to One Shot and not letting it dry long enough.. When i locked the slide to the rear after that first shot, I saw almost all of my 5grains of powder sitting inside the chamber and up against the ramped barrel. I was so confused.. When I pulled the bullets all looked well, So im going to do as another fellow on here mentioned, I'm going to mark them and keep them away from everything else, let them sit for awhile, maybe in the sun and then on a practice day see if I can get them to go bang.

Edit, So stainless tumble with blue coral car wash or dawn/ lemishine rinse and soak in a hot bath with lemi shine... Towl dry for a few hours, toss in the vibrating tumber with the ultra fine walnut from harbor freight and some dillion case polish... WOW my brass, looks better than new ;)

It looks great when it first comes out of the stainless but after a week or so gets a little orange tint, the polish and walnut keeps this from happening.

Edited by jtrump

You don't need to do the towel dry bit since you are going to tumble them anyway. After you get the pins out with the media separator just put the brass in the walnut and tumble. That will dry as well or better than anything.

You can also skip the "soak in a hot bath with Lemi Shine". Give it a try and see how they come out.

I checked the powder charge from pulling some of the bullets and the weight was right, maybe .1 grain lower but still would cycle the gun. I also attribute it to One Shot and not letting it dry long enough.. When i locked the slide to the rear after that first shot, I saw almost all of my 5grains of powder sitting inside the chamber and up against the ramped barrel. I was so confused.. When I pulled the bullets all looked well, So im going to do as another fellow on here mentioned, I'm going to mark them and keep them away from everything else, let them sit for awhile, maybe in the sun and then on a practice day see if I can get them to go bang.

Hm...weird. Contaminated or bad primers.

Well let us know what happens with those. Must say I am curious.

Edited by Yeti

Wet tumble with primers in, dry with dehydrator, hit with some one-shot for anti-tarnish and to lube cases for sizing. 300-500 in a gallon bag with a slit for the spray tube wastes the least spray.

Brass stays shiny and I don't have any problems loading. Using MBF.

Brass left even slightly wet rapidly tarnishes - within minutes to hours. Dry brass not protected with One-Shot slowly tarnishes, especially in humid environments.

Yea I like the system I've got going now if I can streamline it, I had to take some 4000grit sand paper and polish the powder funnel/bell for my press that fixed the sticking part, so no need for case lube anymore, and I got the replacement rod in from Dillion and it runs like a champ again.

For experimental purposes, I did a test, spraying 1shot on w231 will turn it gold. The unburnt powder in my chamber was mostly gold. I'm going to say I used either A to much 1 shot or didn't let it dry long enough.

Gonna let the bullets sit in the morning sun coming in the window for awhile and then try to plink with them at the range, all of my new ar500 steel targets will be here by Wednesday!

EDIT: I will add, that I am having a hard time finding .45acp brass.. not to hurt anyone's feelings, but it seems like on range day when I'm pasting targets and resetting steel, the old timers sitting under their umbrellas come out and roll up the brass and then retreat to their shady lawn chairs. haha.. I probably only have around 2k rounds of .45 brass, need to get my hands on some more.. the large pistol primer type, if anyone has some ideas. Since it seems I'll be losing around 200 cases every match, that's the most costly part in this reloading process.

Edited by jtrump

I had to take some 4000grit sand paper and polish the powder funnel/bell for my press that fixed the sticking part, so no need for case lube anymore,

Are you over flaring the case mouth?

No the machine is running smooth as butter now, It was the rod from the factory, it's slightly smaller and a slightly different shape than the new one they sent me, Gonna look for some .45 brass now.

So first match, first stage I'm up and it's the classifier. Buzzer goes off I pull the trigger and literally watch my 200g bullet fly through the air like someone just tossed it and it bounced off the cardboard target..... got the STOP from the RO, checked the chamber tons of unburnt powder in there, hmm... Grabbed a different magazine, buzzer bang same result.. So I'm stressed as all hell now so i throw the joke out there that I swear I'm making major PF...

I've gotten the same result using OS. If you're too liberal with the OS and accidentally get some inside the case mouth it can gum up the powder inside if you don't give it a chance to dry fully. You'll go up to the line, shoot, get a squib, and the gun looks like it's full of popcorn kernels of unburned powder.

Either switch lubes or use the OS inside a plastic baggie and then roll the brass around inside of it.

^^ Good advice, I think I'll be staying away from one shot for awhile. I'll keep my flare/powder funnel nice and polished seems to work great now.

On a side note, I went to the range this morning to practice since some of my 8" ar500 steel plates came in today, and shot some of that ammo that I was getting squibs with after letting it sit for two weeks.. Shot fine however I did have one flyer, bullet literally went about 7 feet above sight picture and target.. The other dozen or so seemed fine.. I'll be using those for practice haha.

• 2 weeks later...