Most Accurate 9mm Bullet

RMark

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SNS 147 coated/grooveless lead is about as good as any I have loaded, over WSF.

What range of powder weight for WSF did you find accurate with the SNS 147 coated/grooveless bullet?

SNS 147 coated/grooveless lead is about as good as any I have loaded, over WSF.

What range of powder weight for WSF did you find accurate with the SNS 147 coated/grooveless bullet?

3.8gr for 908 Avg from a VP9 and a little lower velocity from a G-19 and P320C

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been testing some coated bullets - Acme, BBI and Precision - and have not found that any of them group as well as 130 gr LSWC - all loaded with 3.5 grains of Clays with KVB-223 primers in all Winchester cases.

The 130s are .358 and the rest are nominally .356. I've slugged the barrel - new Kart NM barrel - and it seems to be .355 across the grooves and .3495 across the lands.

Some - if not all - of the coated bullet mfrs will evidently size larger than .356 and I may see how many I'd have to purchase to get some done @ .358 to complete my testing.

Or, I could just continue to use the 130 LSWC which don't seem to be leading the new barrel at all.

Those Bob Marvel groups do contain some 9mm groups. They're 6.1 of Power Pistol with a 115 XTP.

6.1 to 1.120 to be precise.

I don't have an PP, will be trying 320 and 3n38 as substitutes unless I can find some PP locally.

edit...and that is 24 shots into a 1" group with a single flyer at 1.5. insane.

Edited by seanc

i have 4 pounds of pp and gonna try the load but would say its not practical for fast shooting as i am betting alot of muzzle flip

I'm working on this load for just 6 particular shots at two distances on a well defined course of fire, the distances being 50 and 25 yards and the target being a 4" circle. A little extra muzzle bounce is probably not particularly a big problem as having a group that will hold say 2" at 50 yards.

Sean, this is more of a practical shooting forum. If you want guidance on bullseye accuracy, you might want to try the Bullseye-L forum at bullseyeforum.net. To be clear, I'm not suggesting people here aren't more than happy help. ;) They certainly are. It's a helpful crowd. I'm just suggesting that a bullseye forum might be the better place for advice on bullseye level accuracy. What people consider accurate for practical shooting and what people consider accurate for 50-yard bullseye are two different things. As a converse example -- if I wanted advice on improving my split times, learning to double-tap, or whether or not to go with heavy or light bullets for Steel Challenge, I wouldn't go to the Bullseye-L forum; I'd come here. ;)

That said, you're looking for match grade 115gr JHP. You can get 115gr Hornady HAPs for 10 or 11 cents per bullet in bulk. That's as good as it gets for what you want to do unless you want to get up to 16-20 cents per bullet (or more) for Sierra or Nosler 115gr match grade JHP, and maybe those are better, maybe they're not. Go with the HAP. ;)

Those Bob Marvel groups do contain some 9mm groups. They're 6.1 of Power Pistol with a 115 XTP.

I don't have an PP, will be trying 320 and 3n38 as substitutes unless I can find some PP locally.

Power Pistol burns closer to N340 or Accurate #5 than the two you mentioned. D&L in RI has had PP in stock last few times I was there.

Power Pistol burns closer to N340 or Accurate #5 than the two you mentioned. D&L in RI has had PP in stock last few times I was there.

Thanks. I'm going to troll a couple local shops and see what is around.

Where is D&L? its a haul, I'm on the other side of CT.