Most Accurate 9mm Bullet

RMark

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a much tougher question than you may realize. Not all bullets perform to the same standards from gun to gun. The smartest thing to do is order up a bunch of sample packs or small 250-500 lots from the major players and test them yourself. All of the major players make very good quality bullets that are typically more than accurate for our games. Make sure to try coated, plated and even jacketed varieties.

While your at it don't forget, bullets perform differently with different powders as well. Crimp, oal, velocity, etc all play a role as well. There can be quite a bit of work involved in finding the best load for a particular gun.

You will get all kinds of comments telling you what worked best for THEM, but that does not mean it will work for you. Sure, it can be a great starting point but only you can prove it out one way or the other.

You might even find a 124 grain bullet performs much better out of your gun so that might be worth considering as well.

In truth, you can probably order a full case of bullets from anyone and work up very accurate loads with them but you will never truly know if they are the "most" accurate.

I may as well ask you what gun are you using since somebody else is bound to anyway.

Regardless of weight, I have seen the most convincing comments supporting the Hornady HAP as being the most accurate with Zero JHP, Montana Gold JHP and Precision Delta JHP following right behind. I personally have used all but the Zero and found them all to be accurate but I have also never tested with a Ransom Rest or similar set-up to truly discern differences between them.

But, as Sarge points out, you'll never know until you experiment with your gear and technique. YMMV.

From my experience in multiple guns (Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps, Kimbers, & CZs) Montana Gold 124gr HP. The 124gr or 135gr Bayou Bullet RNs have given very good accuracy at less cost. BB for local matches and practice MG for bigger matches.

What Sarge said is very true.

Though they may not be the absolute most accurate bullet for each gun, I have several 9mm's that all shoot MG 124CMJ's very well. If you are shooting with a comp the CMJ's have less leading, and at indoor ranges should have less of an impact on air quality.

Regardless of weight, I have seen the most convincing comments supporting the Hornady HAP as being the most accurate with Zero JHP, Montana Gold JHP and Precision Delta JHP following right behind. I personally have used all but the Zero and found them all to be accurate but I have also never tested with a Ransom Rest or similar set-up to truly discern differences between them.

But, as Sarge points out, you'll never know until you experiment with your gear and technique. YMMV.

Same here. I've got a handful of Hornady XTPs to try out sometime, but the MG JHPs have beaten out the various coated bullets accuracy by a small amount (e.g. Bayou, SNS, BBI, ..), although realistically, not by enough for me to keep buying the MGs at 9.8c/rd in case quantity (124gr JHP) vs the ~7c/rd I can buy cases on Bayou and others for.

I have seen mention that the MG jacket has more brass in it vs other jackets, which may contribute to faster barrel wear, but I can't confirm that one.

Great bullets, and I still have a case+ of them I'm using, but IMO, my skill and gun games played has me looking back to the various Hi Tek coated.

Yes, I know I will have to find what will work for me . I am just asking what works for you. I am shoot a M&P 9mm Pro stock.

Mark

In that case:

Open- MG 115 JHP or 121/124. All MG bullets are accurate in my gun.

Production/plinking- Either Xtreme plated or BBI 124's

Same here. I've got a handful of Hornady XTPs to try out sometime,

I think you will find those to be very accurate. The HAP is supposed to be the same thing except without the petals in the jacket for expansion. I've actually found the XTP to be a little more accurate than the HAP. This could well be explained by the fact that I load the XTP considerably hotter for general field use as opposed to my gamer loads.

Word is that JHP are more accurate than an hap/truncated cone because it puts CG farther back on the bullet. I can't prove that, though.

I can't tell the difference in accuracy between MG and the XTP (in 124gr), either.

Someone needs to come out with a ransom rest under $100. Seriously!

As far as accurate bullets go, everything I have made in the 130 to 135 pf area has been more than accurate enough for me. When I consider a new load, I look for stuff that is consistent, has the recoil impulse i am looking for, is realtively easy to get, will chamber consistently, and most importantly, cheap. I have tried all sorts of different bullet weights and profiles and I find the Bear Creek 147g truncated cones with the newer and slightly thinner profile meets my needs. It is only $65 per thousand and I don't buy in bulk or pay tax. :)

Edited by himurax13

Define accuracy? Do you group at 7 yds, 25 yds, 50 yds, 100 yds?

Do you have other purposes for the ammo? If you want a push rather than a snap, you will probably be happiest with a 147gn bullet and a fast powder.

Just as a general thing, my accuracy goal is a group less than 2" at 25 yards. Thus, an accurate load gives me groups less than 2" at 25 yds.

I get best accuracy from JHPs and L-SWCs. I get best accuracy with 0.356-0.357" jacketed and 0.357-0.358" lead.

For jacketed bullets, I really like the Zero 121gn 38 Super JHP, but I can't say it is the "most accurate." Just that it works well in all my 9x19s, 9x21s, and .38 Supers. MG 125gn .38 JHP is also very accurate.

Penn makes a very accurate 115gn L-SWC and Missouri Bullets makes a very accurate 124-125gn L-SWC.

Precision Bullets makes very accurate coated bullets. They are swaged for consistent weight and dimensions and the coating works great for me. Their 124gn L-RNFP/TC is quite accurate.

I have only gotten very occasional groups that meet my definition of accurate with 147gn bullets, but I haven't shot very many varieties.

The only powders that have been really accurate for me in 9x19 have been Power Pistol, Silhouette, and True Blue--not action pistol powders for most.

The most accurate 9mm bullets are going to be whatever the bianchi guys are shooting and I am lead to understand it will be either a Sierra or a Nosler, but I don't have any first hand information.

Good luck not going broke shooting either of those brands.

What is the most accurate 9mm bullet? I would like to stay with the 147gr range ,but what is the most accurate? I am shooting IDPA and USPSA.

I'm going to ask what may seem like a very rude question... How good a shot are you? Can you shoot a USPSA match at a B level using something like Atlanta Arms ammunition?

If you can't then you can probably spend all the time and money you want on a search for the most accurate ammo and still not improve your scores significantly.

Seems to me like the worse you are at shooting the more you could benefit from accurate ammo.

It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to shoot the best ammo I can load. For matches anyway. If it only adds an extra point or saves one make up shot on steel I consider it worth it.

You mileage and budget may vary.

What is the most accurate 9mm bullet? I would like to stay with the 147gr range ,but what is the most accurate? I am shooting IDPA and USPSA.

I'm going to ask what may seem like a very rude question... How good a shot are you? Can you shoot a USPSA match at a B level using something like Atlanta Arms ammunition?

If you can't then you can probably spend all the time and money you want on a search for the most accurate ammo and still not improve your scores significantly.

What does shooting USPSA at B level have to do with accruacy? When I shot IPSC years ago I was A class pushing Master hard, so I think my shooting is fine. Do you think you have to be a B class to shoot accurate? I have no problem with the load I am shooting now. I found this bullet combo when everything was hard to find. Just wanting see what other people are shooting.

Mark

Edited by RMark

As far as accurate bullets go, everything I have made in the 130 to 135 pf area has been more than accurate enough for me. When I consider a new load, I look for stuff that is consistent, has the recoil impulse i am looking for, is realtively easy to get, will chamber consistently, and most importantly, cheap. I have tried all sorts of different bullet weights and profiles and I find the Bear Creek 147g truncated cones with the newer and slightly thinner profile meets my needs. It is only $65 per thousand and I don't buy in bulk or pay tax. :)

Is this with out the lube grove?

Is this with out the lube grove?
Yep. :)

post-29800-142957993568_thumb.jpg

I don't remember the exact weight but it was right around 150g.

Edited by himurax13