Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparable powder to VV n320

Superpipe9

From what I read, N320 is the perfect powder! I don't shoot competition and I'm still new so I want to try some other things. If I find N320, I'll grab some but where I'm at, I'm ready to try some of the other popular powders.

Has anyone done a blind test of N320 vs any other powder that you all are comparing this too?

Not a true blind test, but I did load up a few mags and ran them through. One mag had the rounds alternating but I knew which ones where N320 so like I said, not a true scientific blind test. The N320 was consistently softer and cleaner. The impulse was different so I think that is what made it feel better. I think I took a video of that, I'll see if I can find it. Also, my buddy and I did something similar with N320 and TG, same results.

Thanks. I understand the love for N320, just curious if on a blind test, one could EASILY determine which was which.

Has anyone done a blind test of N320 vs any other powder that you all are comparing this too?

not blind, but back to back. I don't really care enough to do a blind test. If I can't a major difference when I'm not blind, then I guess I'll be happy with either one. I'm not that picky.

This is basically why I asked. I see a lot of posts/people that live my N320, but I feel like there are just as good or comparative powders out there. Thanks.

I've loaded the same 180 gr powder coated bullet with HP38/WW231 and VVN320. They may put out the same PF but the amount of smoke produced, crap left in your pistol after shooting and better metering are the main reasons the 231 stays in the cabinet and the 650 is loaded up with VVN320, even though it is more expensive. I'll buy VVN320 when I see it for sale, everytime.

I've loaded the same 180 gr powder coated bullet with HP38/WW231 and VVN320. They may put out the same PF but the amount of smoke produced, crap left in your pistol after shooting and better metering are the main reasons the 231 stays in the cabinet and the 650 is loaded up with VVN320, even though it is more expensive. I'll buy VVN320 when I see it for sale, everytime.

You actually find N320 meters better than HP38/231? I'd say N320 meters consistently (particularly for a stick powder), but I don't know that I would give it an edge over HP38/231 (a ball powder) which meters very consistently.

You actually find N320 meters better than HP38/231? I'd say N320 meters consistently (particularly for a stick powder), but I don't know that I would give it an edge over HP38/231 (a ball powder) which meters very consistently.

I'm basing that on smaller standard deviation numbers. My chrono numbers are amazingly consistent with VV N320. Not so much with 231

I'm basing that on smaller standard deviation numbers. My chrono numbers are amazingly consistent with VV N320. Not so much with 231

Yeah, I think the lower standard deviation is a result of the powder itself. If you take a large sample of metered drops of both powders, you may actually find that the HP38/231 has more consistent weights than the N320. But, as you point out, you will see lower standard deviation at the chrono with the N320. I have seen my lowest standard deviations with N320 versus any other pistol powder. Maybe the N320 simply is a more consistent powder, particularly with volume charges being more important than weight.

meh. I think its overstated how glorious n320 is, but whatever.

When I close my eyes and shoot a 9mm n320 load and 9mm titegroup load into the berm, they feel the same, but TG is louder(to me) and I think that is where the "softer" comes from.

Nothing is "softer" than clays with heavy bullets, but thats just me...

When I close my eyes and shoot a 9mm n320 load and 9mm titegroup load into the berm, they feel the same, but TG is louder(to me) and I think that is where the "softer" comes from.

Clays should be very close to vvn310. It's a little faster burning than 320. It's made in Australia and sold there as AS30N and is very popular there too for light 9mm or 38 special loads. They make a powder called AP50N which is very close to n320 in feel but n320 has lower sd and a little cleaner. Not much difference though in my experience.

I don't doubt they will feel the same, but shooting into a berm won't reflect how clean, consistent (low standard deviation) and low flash/heat/smoky VV N320 is compared to Titegroup. If those things aren't important to you, many powders are comparable to N320.

Sort of why I asked, although I have very little experience with N320 and nothing with Titegroup, yet...

I don't doubt they will feel the same, but shooting into a berm won't reflect how clean, consistent (low standard deviation) and low flash/heat/smoky VV N320 is compared to Titegroup. If those things aren't important to you, many powders are comparable to N320.

I was able to find 8 lbs or Titegroup over the weekend and looking forward to trying it out.

I have shot titegroup against everything but n320 but that will change since I have quite a bit now.

I prefer 7625 wsf wst and bullseye to titegroup again just my opinion. I load 9,40 and 45acp.