Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparable powder to VV n320

Superpipe9

Believe it or not, I've found ETR7 to be pretty close in recoil, cleanliness, and powder charge weight.

4.7 gr of N320 is pretty comparable to 4.8 gr of ETR7 and both yield about 170 PF.

4.2 gr of N320 and 4.3 gr of ETR7 is pretty close, both are about 130-132 PF.

Std deviations with N320 is a little better than ETR7, but I have been able to get into the low teens with ETR7.

Here's another believe it or not --

When my N320 was running low and I was scrambling for a replacement about this time last year, I found CFE Pistol to be indistinguishable from N320 for velocity and recoil in my 200gr SNS coated 40 major load. Different charges and CFE Pistol did like a COAL .010 shorter.

I wouldn't expect CFE Pistol to have the same temperature stability at the extremes, but it did the job at the chrono all last year.

Ramshot competition

Those are 17 spots apart on the burn chart are they really similar? Ramshot zip is a lot closer to n320 in that regard.

It depends which burn rate chart you are looking at. Many on this forum say you can almost use the same recipe of n320 with ramshot and will see very similar results.

I don't know about burn charts (and don't care), but i have found red dot and n320 to use similar charge weights in 40. Haven't tried it in 9 yet.

fwiw, i think red dot *feels* softer as well.

I have also heard that ramshot competition and wst are similar as well.

I would ignore the burn chart and look in a reloading manual for something that gives about the same velocity with about the same charge weight in the caliber you are concerned with.

My experience with n320 is that its not as fast asit shows on the burn charts. A,step down from red dot clays and bulleye and tite group

Its very comparable to WST and ramshot comp. The one thing I noticed is it meters well and accuracy and SD are right up there at the top.

I also think ETR7 is very similar in feel and cleanliness. It may be just a hair softer shooting. RS Competition is soft but not quite as clean but very similar feeling also. I would not feel that I was at a disadvantage with any of the 3.

I just got some n320 on order, so I don't have direct experience, but many say n320 and titegroup are nearly interchangable on 9mm, but that the titegroup burns a little hotter (gun gets hotter).

I haven't tried it in 40 yet, as I'm going to try CFE pistol for 40 major, and probably stay with titegroup for 40 minor since I found a very accurate load with that.

I always felt that 231/HP38, TG, and AA#2 feel very close to N320. I mean, there is no comparison as N320 is an incredible powder but just going off of feel, I have loaded some in the aforementioned powders that were close but no cigar.

Has anyone done a blind test of N320 vs any other powder that you all are comparing this too?

Not a true blind test, but I did load up a few mags and ran them through. One mag had the rounds alternating but I knew which ones where N320 so like I said, not a true scientific blind test. The N320 was consistently softer and cleaner. The impulse was different so I think that is what made it feel better. I think I took a video of that, I'll see if I can find it. Also, my buddy and I did something similar with N320 and TG, same results.

Has anyone done a blind test of N320 vs any other powder that you all are comparing this too?

not blind, but back to back. I don't really care enough to do a blind test. If I can't a major difference when I'm not blind, then I guess I'll be happy with either one. I'm not that picky.

My tight group and N320 load data are identical to one another as far as charge weight and resulting velocity. TG is not as clean though.

N310 is a tad faster than N320, in minor 9mm loads charge weight difference is only .01-.02 gn for the same velocity, so they are not very far apart.

Not a true blind test, but I did load up a few mags and ran them through. One mag had the rounds alternating but I knew which ones where N320 so like I said, not a true scientific blind test. The N320 was consistently softer and cleaner. The impulse was different so I think that is what made it feel better. I think I took a video of that, I'll see if I can find it. Also, my buddy and I did something similar with N320 and TG, same results.

Thanks. I understand the love for N320, just curious if on a blind test, one could EASILY determine which was which.

not blind, but back to back. I don't really care enough to do a blind test. If I can't a major difference when I'm not blind, then I guess I'll be happy with either one. I'm not that picky.

This is basically why I asked. I see a lot of posts/people that live my N320, but I feel like there are just as good or comparative powders out there. Thanks.

My tight group and N320 load data are identical to one another as far as charge weight and resulting velocity. TG is not as clean though.

N310 is a tad faster than N320, in minor 9mm loads charge weight difference is only .01-.02 gn for the same velocity, so they are not very far apart.

I have a "lead" on some Titegroup from a local guy so once he get's it in, I'm going to pick some up. From what I've read, that's one of the closest to N320.

I have a "lead" on some Titegroup from a local guy so once he get's it in, I'm going to pick some up. From what I've read, that's one of the closest to N320.

A good powder although not nearly as clean and not quite as consistent. But, it is 40% less expensive