Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock won't go bang, light primer strikes

Robbf213

Gen 3 Glock with Caspian slide, KKM barrel, Zev Ultimate trigger/ #3 spring just won't fire. I just put it all together and the striker is hitting the primer but not hard enough to ignite the primer, I didn't try the 2# spring. I put a stock G22 trigger group and stock striker/spring in it and still no bang! When I first bought the used slide I put it together with stock parts and got off one round then light strikes, sent the slide off for serrations and ceracote and had high expectations but no love. Ammo is factory. I'm really at a loss of what to do next, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Robbf213

Are you talking about using a 3 pound striker spring? Um well yea, your not going to ignite anything with that... Try using only federal small pistol primers, and maybe step up to a 4 or 4.5 pound striker spring...

You could try using an extended and lightened aftermarket striker in combination with a lighter striker spring, but the key thing is using the softest primers on the market, IE Federal Small Pistol...

The slide itself is a very tight fit on the frame, very hard to get on and off but nothing sticks, the back plate comes off like normal. The striker is the Zev lightened one and all ammo is factory Remington and Winchester. I'll mostly be using factory ammo in the gun and carry it off duty after I can get at least 1k trouble free rounds through it.

Edited by Robbf213

Man! You really have a lot going on with that thing. I have seen some pretty light sprung Glocks and they still set off any SPP. You need at least a 4 pound striker spring. And you need a light recoil spring you probably need an 11 in that cut up slide.

The channel liner wasn't removed for the ceracote and is in there and clean as far as I can tell. I assumed a factory striker/spring would fire it but no luck. The recoil spring is a 16#, I'll worry about that one if I can ever get it to go bang. No real cuts, just some serrations.

4E253475-D277-47D5-A2BE-4434DE1C30E4_zps

Edited by Robbf213

Is the striker channel in the correct position? Correct in all specs? Does the slide move out of battery when you pull the trigger?

The slide won't go all the way into battery unless it is pulled all the way to the rear and released, it really doesn't do anything when the trigger is pulled

Gen 3 Glock with Caspian slide, KKM barrel, Zev Ultimate trigger/ #3 spring just won't fire. I just put it all together and the striker is hitting the primer but not hard enough to ignite the primer, I didn't try the 2# spring. I put a stock G22 trigger group and stock striker/spring in it and still no bang! When I first bought the used slide I put it together with stock parts and got off one round then light strikes, sent the slide off for serrations and ceracote and had high expectations but no love. Ammo is factory. I'm really at a loss of what to do next, any help would be greatly appreciated!

It may be the light striker spring, but more likely the striker is dinging into the firing pin blocking plunger safety. Take the striker out and look very closely near the front and see if there are dings.

The screwed up (IMHO) design relies on a bump on the trigger bar to lift the safety plunger up so the striker goes by. Doing ANYTHING to customize or alter the trigger bar/disconnector/striker can change where the striker releases so the trigger bar may not be fully lifting the plunger out of the way and the striker can be dragging or bumping the plunger.

Guess how much time I wasted learning that.

A quick test is to remove the safety plunger and see if the light strikes go away. Then you know where the problem is.

Edited by bountyhunter

Hey, it looks nice though! :cheers:

Lol, dont you mean, "nice paperweight"?
I was trying to be more politically correct. :)

I'm sure the Glock gurus here will get it figured out!

A quick test is to remove the safety plunger and see if the light strikes go away. Then you know where the problem is.

How do you get the empty cases out without an extractor that the plunger was holding in? Push every one out with a rod?

Problem resolved, I took it to a local gunsmith and he determined that the barrel was sitting too high. The light primer strikes were on the bottom of the primers. He took some material off the bottom of the barrel lug to center the barrel, 400 problem free rounds through it now I'm happy. Thanks for all your input!

How do you get the empty cases out without an extractor that the plunger was holding in? Push every one out with a rod?

Must be different than mine. The FP safety plunger doesn't hold the extractor in on my G35. I shot the thing for years without it.

Must be different than mine. The FP safety plunger doesn't hold the extractor in on my G35. I shot the thing for years without it.

Really? What retains the extractor on your G35?

Edited by kamikaze1a

The fp safety plunger looks like it retains the extractor but it does not. I test fired several glocks in .40 and 9 with the extractor installed and the plunger removed without any problem.

Me too but I always get yelled at for suggesting removing safeties.....

In the case of Glocks, it is a fast way to find out if the striker is dragging on the safety and causing lights strikes (like it was on my G35).

I believe it is the long spring loaded rod that runs longitudinally through the slide and is retained by the rear plate in the slide. That also provides the spring load to the extractor.

Edited by bountyhunter

I believe it is the long spring loaded rod that runs longitudinally through the slide and is retained by the rear plate in the slide. That also provides the spring load to the extractor.

Interesting...I have always removed the extractor plunger before the striker block plunger so did not realize that it actually retained the extractor. I learned something new today! Thanks!