Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 - advantages of buying new?

I'm currently using a 650 for my 40cal limited loads and want to get a setup for 9mm major and 223 for 3 gun. I've been looking at the 1050 as the on press swaging alone seems like the way to go. I've read there may have been some recent upgrades to the 1050.

Is there much advantage to buying a new 1050 vs picking up a use one at 75% or so of the cost of new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were to buy one used, I'd want the seller to break it down and take photos (if I can't inspect in person) of the ram and where the ram rides in the casting. Galling can occur on the ram if it's not lubed regularly and well.

That is really the only major expense to be concerned about with the 1050. The casting is around $700 to replace. Not sure what they charge for a ram, but it can't be cheap either.

There have a bunch of upgrades to the small primer system in particular including a new primer slide.

My new ones run better out of the box than the older ones. Whatever you might save in the cost of the press you might lose in tinker time

Thank you. Good to know. Are the 1050's a lot worse to convert calibers on compared to the 650? Just trying to decide if I should get a 650 conversion for 9mm and leave the 1050 for 223 or if I'm going to have the 1050 anyway just get it set up for both 223 and 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not hard.

I've also doesn't a small fortune trying to fix my primer system on my used 1050. But New or try it out first.

+1 on the primer system. Sucks. Take heart the new one with the brass roller has worked like silk, Yea!

It's not hard.

I've also doesn't a small fortune trying to fix my primer system on my used 1050. But New or try it out first.

+1 on the primer system. Sucks. Take heart the new one with the brass roller has worked like silk, Yea!

What is the brass roller?

It's not hard.

Replaced the rubber hose over a roll pin that the actuating arm acted upon.

If you have the older one with rubber hose, you can do the same thing using 1/8" drill rod and two very small shielded bearings from McMaster. Works quite well. :devil:

It's not hard.

Replaced the rubber hose over a roll pin that the actuating arm acted upon.

If you have the older one with rubber hose, you can do the same thing using 1/8" drill rod and two very small shielded bearings from McMaster. Works quite well. :devil:

Interesting....I just got a used(not sure it actually ever was) S1050 but it still has the rubber hose and was damaged so I picked up some vacuum tube today. I will have to see if my new small priming system has the brass roller when it shows up.

If the extra couple hundred isn't going to break your back buy new. There is a lot to be said for a new machine with all the parts in place. I was thinking used for my second 1050 but buying misc parts and dicking with small issues made it not worthwhile. At 50% of new maybe but that's not likely to happen.

The cal conversions are straight forward. It probably takes me an hour but I take my time and give the machine a complete clean and lube in the process.

• 4 weeks later...