Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135gr or 147gr bullets for the cz 75-sp-01 shadow

Superpipe9

Some people have had problems with 147's hitting the rifling before the slide is fully in battery. It depends on the shape of the bullet. If it has a tall shoulder you may need to get your barrel throated. Or you can try and find a 147 bullet shape that fits your current barrel.

Best advice is to buy some of each and give it a try. General rule of thumb, heavier bullet with fast burning powder results in a 'softer' recoil. Light bullets have more of a snappier recoil.

i use 147gr with my TS. Love the round with this pistol but a friend of mine uses 124gr. They say is more accurate. I can shoot 1inch group with 147 as well as 124 so other than the recoil, both rounds are very accurate.

I am using 147gr coated sns bullets with n320 at 1.138 oal. Real accurate and soft shooting in my shadow.

Drop and spin works fine at that OAL withe the Sns ?
Yup, thats about as long as I can load them though.

Keep in mind that some or many of the 147 shapes I have tried were at least as forgiving or more so than the 135s. I shot 135s for a full season and switched to 147 this year and they are actually easier to work with for length. I used BBI and Bayou 135 and tried some SNS. Now using BBI, Bayou, SNS, and a lot of extreme 147 with no issues.

Recoil is subjective. Ask 5 people about a particular load shot through the same pistol on the same day and you will get 6 different answers-so to say. Let's take subjectivity out of the equation and get down to physics...more gunpowder = more recoil. That's all there is to it. At identical power factor, heavier bullets will ALWAYS have less recoil in a non-compensated pistol as they require less powder to achieve said PF.

I use 147's in my tac sport and it feels like I'm shooting a 22.

I'm a noob so I have to ask..it seems counter intuitive that a heavier bullet would have less recoil. I would think that a heavier bullet, requiring more force to get moving (faster burning powder as someone posted about in this thread), would create more ft lb of energy that would translate to more felt recoil...

I use 147's in my tac sport and it feels like I'm shooting a 22.

I'm a noob so I have to ask..it seems counter intuitive that a heavier bullet would have less recoil. I would think that a heavier bullet, requiring more force to get moving (faster burning powder as someone posted about in this thread), would create more ft lb of energy that would translate to more felt recoil...

It would if you were trying to get it going the same speed. The difference is you just have to get it going fast enough to make PF thats where the difference lies.

I have shot a lot of 147 and switched back to 124... I really don't feel that much of a difference... 147 make gun feel a little slower to me. To me switching back and fourth is to much trouble with having to change the sights... Think I am just going stay with the 124....

147 make gun feel a little slower to me. To me switching back and fourth is to much trouble with having to change the sights... Think I am just going stay with the 124....

Sometimes you have to switch out the recoil spring for a lighter one.