Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small magnum primers with small pocket 45 ACP brass

DivemasterMark

Yes, but you certainly do not need them for VV310 and 320. I have to bump my major load up by 0.2gr to get the same velocity from SPP that I get from LPP. A magnum SPP will more than make up for that velocity loss without bumping the powder up.

On a slight tangent, but I recently loaded 5 rounds with small pistol primers and 5 rounds with small rifle primers. The average fps for the rifle primers was 1 foot per second faster but the SD was around 10 less. Small sample I know. I am now completely in the camp of primers are interchangeable.

On a slight tangent, but I recently loaded 5 rounds with small pistol primers and 5 rounds with small rifle primers. The average fps for the rifle primers was 1 foot per second faster but the SD was around 10 less. Small sample I know. I am now completely in the camp of primers are interchangeable.

We are sheep to the wolves of primer manufacturers I guess. Given all the OCD folks in our midst, I'm kinda surprised this apparent lack of significant difference hasn't surfaced. It probably makes a difference to the bullseye crowd, but all I worry about is not blowing up my gun and making power factor in the games.

I use SRPs in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56 as I only need to stock one primer which, IMO, simplifies things and saves a little by buying in bulk.

I like that idea. Is there any change in load data when doing this? Can this be done with large pistol/rifle as well?

It would be wonderful to only have to stock large and small.

I didn't notice any change when switching from some large (with change in cases) and some small to all SRPs but I wasn't loading "hot" loads.

If you aren't loading to maximum then you should have no problems. You won't with maximum loads either, but, you need to work up to them.

Won't work on large primers as the depth of the cup on the rifle and pistol primers are not the same. That's unfortunate but the way it is.

Yes, they generally have thicker primer cups, the hardness of the material may vary also. Some striker fired guns don't work well or at all with harder primers. Most 1911s will fire almost anything.

Yes, they generally have thicker primer cups, the hardness of the material may vary also. Some striker fired guns don't work well or at all with harder primers. Most 1911s will fire almost anything.

I agree. My 1911 with a 17lb mainspring eats up small rifle primers.

• 1 month later...

I haven't noticed any difference. I've not chronoed since switching but the accuracy did not change at all. I wasn't loading to any power factor so wasn't worried about excessive pressure. If you are running hot loads I'd certainly drop back a little on the powder and work up with a chrono. I doubt if you would notice any change - but - better safe than sorry.

I only use SP Federal brass in .45, don't think it's any better than the few others, but have always liked to stick to one brand of case.

Edited by Steve RA

As long as your ignition system has enough hump to ignite them, it will work perfectly.

The magnum primers are not needed, but should work perfectly fine.

Edited by wgj3