Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming the throat for 9mm...Issues

thompsoncustom

Well reamed my 9mm (CZ Shadow) throat a little longer the other day and everything loads great now. Only problem is that I shot 99% lead bullets and now my barrel is leading with Powder coated bullets.

For those that have reamed a barrel and shoot lead was there more to the process to get it to run good with lead again. I tried smoothing the leade out a little with some 2k grit polish but it's still leading so I was looking for some advice. Thanks Dan

Never jam into the rifling! Did some one say KABOOM :surprise: You may just have left a burr. try shooting some fmj ammo & then polish the throat. What OAL are you loading? Have you slugged tour barrel? I have seen some trying to shoot .355 9mm bullets in a .357 barrel.

Good points, Funny thing I just sent you a PM :)

Tired that the other day shot 100 FMJ bullets after I polished it with 2k grit buffing compound. Still got some leading today.

Barrel slugs at .3555 throat reamer is .357 bullets are sized to .3565

As far as kaboom goes IDK about that, a lot of precision rifle shooters jam into the rifling without issue. I have Quickload and a chronograph to gauge pressure as best I can. Been shooting lead for a long time but this is the first time i've reamed a barrel.

Edited by thompsoncustom

In rifles its ok to touch the rifling, they use SLOOOOW burning powder. Pistols use fast burning powder & you can get a pressure spike. you need .010-.015 of a jump for the bullet to get moving without risking a pressure spike.

Thinking about buying a endoscope and giving my gun an exam :surprise: . I see they have x50 magnification endoscope that plug into the PC for about 40-50 bucks which would make for a cheap bore scope. About the only thing I can think of is the reamer must have left some course grooves cutting which is messing with the powder coat.

I have been only shooting my heavy 160gr Powdercoated bullets since I reamed the barrel because they are the toughest but I'll have to try some of the 124gr Hi tek coated bullets to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Good points, Funny thing I just sent you a PM :)

Tired that the other day shot 100 FMJ bullets after I polished it with 2k grit buffing compound. Still got some leading today.

As far as kaboom goes IDK about that, a lot of precision rifle shooters jam into the rifling without issue. I have Quickload and a chronograph to gauge pressure as best I can. Been shooting lead for a long time but this is the first time i've reamed a barrel.

Bullet setback will blow up a pistol with ease. Don't confuse one type of reloading with another. As a matter of fact many guns are more accurate the shorter the round so getting right to the rifling is not so critical in this game.

I started loading into the rifling when I was shooting 170gr SWC bullets in my cz 75b, I never found any difference in the velocity from rounds jammed into the rifling versus bullets seated right before it. Does that mean pressure isn't spiking? No but I guess we really don't know what the pressure is really doing it's just a educated guess.

The reason I reamed this barrel was to step away from having to jam into the rifling with such heavy bullets. After reaming I can load my lee 158gr bullets to 1.123 without hitting the rifling and my lee 124gr RN TL bullets to 1.185. Haven't tired to break out the 170's

Some 170gr bullets in front of 2.8gr of aa#2 makes for some really soft shooting minor ammo.

snipped....

snipped more...

When you cut the new throat longer you probably also cut it larger in diameter (in the new straight cylinder section of the throat that leads to the tapered section). A .3570" reamer will not cut a .3570" hole. As a fix, you might want to try sizing the bullets to .357 or larger.

Can you make a proper chamber cast to really see what your new throat looks like and what it actually measures?

Edited by wheelie

Not sure if I have any pure lead around or not to do a pound cast of the throat.

Ran 100 124gr hi tek coated bullets yesterday. Leading with these seemed a little different. Instead of random splotches throughout the bore it had most of the leading at the muzzle pointing towards coating failure.

Tho even at the end the accuracy was still spot on some I might just try to put more rounds through the pipe to smooth things out.

I use next to no crimp on all my cast bullets just enough to push the bell beck for the most part.

Also pulled bullets show no sign of shaving or under sizing and bullets fired at speeds just enough to clear the barrel show the coating to be intact.

Shoot a couple of hundred more jacketed bullets through the bbl

When I cut a chamber that's what I do

Seems like it deburrs the end of the cut and start of rifling.

I shoot mostly coated with a .002 -.004 crimp and load as long as the mag will let me.

I have 5 9mm that I have used a Mason reamer on to extend the lead and I didn't change anything but the OAL and no leading problems. You may have to fire lap your barrel to get the rough spot out. Buy a fire lapping kit and fire about 10 to 20 rounds and that should take care of any rough spots if that is causing the problem.