Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9 question

Anyone that's shooting an M&P, have you noticed how stiff the slide release is? I can't operate mine with one hand. It's new with only 50 rounds through it. I've cleaned and oiled it twice but still stiffer than hell. Does it get better over time?? Any help would be great! Thanks guys

Mine are really tight also. My daughter just started competing in USPSA and she has a really hard time with it also. I just showed her to rack the slide and be done with it. It has gotten a little better after about several thousand rounds but it's still very tight.

I'm an armorer at my sheriffs office and last year trained and issued out 140 new m&p to my department.. Some had extremely stiff slide releases while others were very light. Mine will drop on a new mag almost every time with out any extra effort, others absolutely required racking the slide (vs pressing the release) to get the slide to drop. I don't think it's a part that will quickly wear in if yours is stiff.

To this day my duty gun slide will drop on a new mag and my m&p9 pro is stiff as hell. And I've got several thousand more rounds through my 9pro. My guess is unless you remove material on the release (tho I am not recommending that) it will continue to be very stiff. My advice to our guys who got guns with stiff slide releases was to know their guns and if they needed to rack the slide to drop it, then practice that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a stamped part they are not all created the same. Look where it is rubbing (wear marks) and remove a little material. If you are very concerned buy another as a backup incase you remove to much. I've had some that were good new and others had to be smoothed out.

My department switched over to M&P's about 5 years ago and have been having trouble with the slid stops sheering off. The range has a set we qualify with witch are not the weapons we carry. So they end up with 10,000 to 20,000 rounds a year. Smith & Wesson fixed them all and sent extras to our armorer.

I just now grabbed the new, unfired M&P CORE that I have (4" barrel) and dropped the locked back slide without any magazine in it (no lectures please, it was only once). I used my right hand (shooting) thumb and it came down easier than I had expected, but it didn't seem too easy. Likely part variability as said above.

With Bkreutz and others who hit the interface with a stoke or 2 of a polishing stone. Stamped parts often have a sharp, non radiused edge, easy to fix. Polished the cut in the slide, not changing the angle. Worked much better, only auto releases the slide if the mag is slammed in very hard.

Just need to polish up the shiny edge, which has the black finish worn from friction with slide notch, possibly sl8de notch, if it feels rough when running a finger nail on it.