Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding weight to the shotgun

Unleashed

I was recently given the advice to add some weight to my M2 in order to smooth out the recoil and improve the feel. I was able to add 14oz of lead in the buttstock and looked to put 3-4oz in the end of the tube to balance it out. Does anyone no of any 3-gun rules that don't allow external weights on the shotgun? I've read through the 3-gun Nation rules and didn't see anything specific. The rules stated that internal and external modifications were allowed provided that they didn't change the function of the gun. Rather than try to craft something that would fit inside the tube I thought about casting a lead weight that I could attach to the end of my magazine tube using the hole in the end. Any thoughts or better recommendations?

Thanks

FWIW mercury in a tube is better than dead weight. Commonly used by clay target shooters in the stock and clamped under the barrel. Reduces recoil, smooths out the swing, but harder to start. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I am just bumping this so I can follow this thread. (It doesn't seem to work if you edit a post?)

If you hit the "Follow this topic" button on the upper right side of the screen, it will email you when folks post to a thread.

Thanks Fishsticks I never saw that.

Pat: Not a bad point re: the inertia system, thanks! Do guys do it in 3 gun or is it generally a trap/skeet thing? I also imagine that adding a (Nordic) +9 mag extension will stabilise the front sight a bit?

1chota: I have tried a Versamax and I preferred the M2. It's a great shotgun and most of the guys I shoot with run them, the M2 just feels better to me.

As stated it is common to add weight to a rifle to reduce recoil and common on a shotgun to change the swing or to reduce recoil. I know that inertia systems are sensitive to weight changes but the M2's used in 3 gun have a lot of mods in which i hear counteracts that. I know a lot of people point to a video of Jesse Tichauer (sp?) used an xrail which bracing on a tree to demonstrate that the benelli's are not a sensitive as some belive to weight and little movement. If you want to get creative the nordic barrel clamp has rail attachments on each side you could put on two SJC glock weights on there. Adding weight to the end of a barrel makes a lot more differnce than the buttstock, a little goes a long way. The only thing that changes your shotgun classifcation is porting, magazine fed and optics. I feel your pain i hate shotgun recoil due to neck injuries. I loved my SLP but it beat my neck up and I just switched to an 8 lb versa max and I'm not looking back. I can't even imagine what an inertia gun would do to me.

I'm not a tiny guy, so I am not worried about what it will do to me, I am worried about what it will do to my shooting. :)

The only negative feedback I have been able to find about the M2's are that they are llighter than the Versamax, 1301 etc. and have more recoil.

And so I was wondering if it is common practise for people to weigh down M2's or any other semi auto SG's for 3 gun purposes.

No, it is not common in 3-Gun. We generally only shoot single shots per target so light guns (like in steel challenge) are nice!

I do have a weighted mag tube nut on both my Benelli Super Sport and Vinci Super Sport. A little weight

toward the muzzle helps to promote a smooth swing.

As far as JT and the Xrail...I bet a lighter action spring is on board and loads above 3 dram are in use.

Have never heard of anyone adding weight, for the sake of weight, to a shotgun.

DonB adds weight to the rear of his winchester shotgun using extra heavy bird shot, in a shell sleeve.

Edited by DocMedic