Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest pull on a DA revolver

JAB

For action shooting where you need a stiff return spring, mid 5s is about as low as a guy hears about. Plenty of guns go lower, but I think realistically, to insure 100% ignition, it's closer to 6.

I suppose a bullseye gun wouldn't have much issue dipping into the 4s, with an extremely light return.

Edited by MWP

You can get a reliable 6 lb. fairly easy. A 5 lb. is possible with a lot of work, I have one with an Apex hammer. I'm running all but that one at 6 to 6.5. This is ONLY with well seated Federal primers.

100% reliable with Fed Primers 5 1/2 lbs is easily doable, 5 lbs depends on the gun and may have an occasional light strike.

All with strong rebound pressure. If you can live with a very light rebound pressure you can go maybe a half pound lighter.

When I got my 625 back from Apex many years ago it had a super light rebound spring and was reliable at 4 1/2 pounds. But as I shot it and things loosened up after a year I started getting about 1 light strike in 30 rounds. Plus the lighter rebound actually caused me to short stroke more than I liked, with a cut down 11 lb rebound spring and 40 oz hammer fall I'm running at 5 1/2+ lbs and feel

Realistically if the action is SMOOTH most can't tell the difference in a match, under pressure between 6 1/2 and 5 1/2 lbs. 4 1/2 lbs will definitely be noticeable though because you have such a light rebound.

Hi whats the lightest pull you can get on a DA revolver

On the model 66 guns that I used to shoot in competition, I could get the DA pulls down to about 5# with factory parts and using handloads (soft primers). I think with reduced mass aftermarket hammers you can get it into the 4# ballpark.

Edited by bountyhunter

my 627 that i shoot in icore is barely 4 lbs da and has been 100% reliable with fed primers for 50k rounds.

it will actually run feds at 3.75 100% but i never bothered to keep it that low.

its also reliable enough with win primers that i can use them for practice. good for 95 out of a 100...

that gun is exceptional.