Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you used shepherds hooks for steels plates?

Floorplate

I have 10 inch round 3/8 thick plates and they weigh approximatly 20 lbs. Does anyone know if this is possible, have experience doing this or ideas? I was thinking about using 2 shepherds hooks per plate. This is for temporary steel practice and would prefer to not haul around stands. Thanks

The shepards hooks will work fine. One hook will easily hold the 10 inch steel. They do get beat up and the hooks will only last a season as they get nicked and gouged at the spot where they hang and eventually break.

I have used them many times.

This litlle gem is worth it's weight in gold IMO.

You attach this to a $3 green steel post you can buy in different lenghts at any Home Depot, farm supply joint.

The key to this set up is the steel is very steady and the bracket/attachment bolt allow the steel plate to be a a perfect slight downward angle to deflect the bullet.

Doing double taps with a sheapards hook sucks again IMO...

The bracket can be setup to drop the steel plate when hit it or you flip the bracket 180 degrees and now it is held firm..

The brackets are $29.00 buck but I swear it is the BEST...if you want a STABLE steel plate without hauling alot...

http://www.firstshottargets.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=78

www.firstshottargets.com in Arvada Colorado 303-396-0164