Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 lswc

bodene 5

Depends on the bullet. OAL, and gun. Some say they can work. Most say they don't. My limited experiment with a free sample I got was that they're problematic and not worth the trouble when there are 185gr JHP, 200gr RN and RNFP that work fine on my .45 Glocks if I want lighter .45 loads.

Depends what you mean by would not run. I've never had a problem with my Glock 41 feeding SWCs loaded to the correct OAL. However, it is less forgiving to light loads (with resulting FTF / FTEs) than my 1911s.

I also don't shoot bare lead (although I use HiTek) but that's because I hate cleaning leading.

The feed geometry is different in the 30 vs the 21. While anything can be done....with enough effort and experimentation, most folks with a 30 stick with either the 230 RN or a TC variation. I sold my model 30 over this issue. Meanwhile my model 41 eats everything I feed it.

• 6 months later...

I shot Steel Challenge yesterday with my Bayou 200gr LSWC rounds. I had about 5 malfunctions, and 97% feeding reliability is nowhere near good enough. The rounds don't always want to feed, especially after the gun gets a little dirty, apparently.

It could be an OAL issue. The 1.244" length seemed good initially, but I think need a tweak. I loaded up about 100 with a 1.250" length, placed them in a separate bin, and will be testing them soon. My thinking in increasing length slightly is that possibly not enough of the bullet shoulder was sticking up above the case mouth. Going shorter doesn't seem logical, because then there will be virtually no bullet shoulder sticking up.

1.235" OAL for the Bayou 200gr LSWC is more reliable. My TRP went 150 rounds with those loads, no failures to feed. The Range Officer, though, had a couple of failures over 100 rounds of the same.

I'll be loading 230gr Xtreme (plated) and Bayou (coated) round nose soon.

Don't run lead in the Glock polygonal rifling. Hi-tek coated lead is fine, but bare lead is not recommended.

Dang, I had better stop running those lead bullets through my Glocks. Only been doing it for 15+ years.

L-SWC not feeding is almost always due to:

the magazine lips not releasing the round soon enough

or

the use of button-nose SWCs (H&G 130 clones?) instead of H&G 68 clones.

I can't even remember if I have ever used a jacketed bullet in any of my .45s since 1974. If you have leading in .45 Auto, you are using a bullet that is too small or too hard or both. If there is one cartridge that does well with lead bullets, it has to be the .45 Auto. Almost all commercial .45 lead bullets are about 0.001" too small in diameter and about 10-14 BHN too hard. Most work, but they aren't optimum. If you do get leading with a commercial lead bullet, give the bullets a VERY LIGHT tumble lube in LLA and the leading will go away.

Edited by noylj