Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How tight on the shotgun

Thanks for the responses. I bring it up because when I shoot my pistol I'm gripping tighter for the fast up close shooting and naturally loosen up for the farther / higher accuracy shots. Same with my rifle more or less, but never really paid attention to what I do with my shotgun so now I'm going to.

sa·shay

saˈSHā/

verb
North Americaninformal

verb: sashay; 3rd person present: sashays; past tense: sashayed; past participle: sashayed; gerund or present participle: sashaying

1. 1.

walk in an ostentatious yet casual manner, typically with exaggerated movements of the hips and shoulders.

"Louise was sashaying along in a long black satin dress"

Guess I've never really thought about how tight I am gripping the gun. I think for shotgun, proper fit and a good, natural stance that is built to absorb the recoil are the most important.

The downside is that a good proper stance makes sashaying nearly impossible.

I haven't noticed a difference with gripping the gun but I have had problems over the years if I don't get the stock solid into my shoulder. Only time I've got my Saiga to cough is when I try to do something cute like trying to shoot out of the back seat of the SUV at the Benelli Rockcastle shotgun match with the gun rotated 90 deg and off my shoulder. A solid shoulder weld will solve many shotgun "problems".

Doug

Yeah, with the inertia guns and a really strong grip / pull I can stall most of them out. There are some tricks to make that stop happening, but just staying relaxed is the best way. The inertia guns need to move to work, let them.

I hold my gun fairly tight, I use my weak hand to do about 80% of my gripping and my strong hand only lightly holds the stock ( I shoot right handed by the way). That way i have no tension in my hand slowing down my trigger finger and as I load weak hand load 2 and quads I am able to just drop the gun down under my arm and let the stock just roll in my strong hand until the loading port faces up. I tend to hold the gun fairly snug to my shoulder but not so tight that the gun is shaking when I hold it. I took a class with Igor Jankovic who is the IPSC World Shotgun Champion in Modified division and that was the way he suggested to hold the gun. He also suggested putting grip tape on the fore end and the recoil pad to make sure you had as much grip on the gun as possible and to stop the gun from accidentally sliping out of your shoulder.

I find it works you may not, play around with it and see what feels comfortable