Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes stove pipe on open glock?

KustomHolsters

What PF are you running? My first thought is to turn up the load. My second thought is to make sure the brass is not deflecting off the mount and back into the chamber

I am running 169pf loads which have operated the gun flawlessly for 1500rds. Now all the sudden it stove pipes about 1 time a magazine. It has a sjc 90 degree mount on it.

Thanks

I'm assuming you cleaned it to see if that helped? I don't consider 169 very hot so if it gets dirty or too dry and is not sprung perfectly........

Also, mags can contribute to this as well. Does it happen at the same round count per mag? i.e. is it always early in a full mag or late when it's almost empty? Same mag? All mags? Clean them as well?

Slowly turning up the load may fix it plus you might see a flatter gun as an added benefit.

• 1 month later...

My second thought is to make sure the brass is not deflecting off the mount and back into the chamber

I had to really fight with that on my .40 1911 open gun. I had to increase the size of the cutout and move the dot forward so I could cut the end of the bracket off some.

Stronger mag springs will sometimes fix this.

If it's a Glock, extractors are dirt cheap. I would replace it just to make sure.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is the brass ejecting that is functioning. I had this problem when my wife would shoot my first open glock. When I shot it the brass would eject a few feet to the right but when she shot it most of the brass would just clear the slide and every so often they would stove pipe. I increased the load and made sure the gun was clean when she wanted to shoot it. This helped when she shot it.

• 3 weeks later...

90 degree mount. All is good.

Ejection has to be perfect for the upright mount to work on a Glock. It only takes a couple of bad cases to change that perfect tune.