Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running the mag a little lite?

Zerwas

A related question for you folks "in the know"..

When using an SV limited gun, do you download to 19 rounds (20 rd capacity magazine) for each magazine 'cept the first one to make the reloads easier?

I have started to do this so I don't have to fight the extra magazine spring tension.

What do you GM's do? Looking more for a Limited gun set up,,,,Thanks.

TRP,

Heck yeah. I will always download my mag by a round...IF I have plenty of cushion.

It doesn't matter how many rounds you have if the gun won't run. Do whatever you can to make sure it has the best chance of running.

You do have to make sure you won't be super-close to running a magazine empty though. (plan your stage out well)

Not a GM, but nearly everyone will sacrifice getting that last tight round in the mag, for a smooth, confidant reload.

Don't ever let yourself become the guy that puts the mag in the gun, then smacks the bottom to make sure it won't fall out. :ph34r:

I'm with Flex and Wide-extra ammo won't do you much good if it you have to do a tap & rack. I have been shooting a lot of Production over the last two years-the extra reloads don't hurt as much as the minor power factor does!!

I also am not a "GM", but I know a few-Does that count? :D

Thanks for the replies. My gun works 100% with the magazines loaded to maximum capacity, its just a bit harder to load quicker.

I get the gist of what you all are saying. I'll plan the stage and load accordingly.

With my open gun, I never had a problem seating mags at full capacity, although I'd sometimes download the big stick by one round, if I had to reload to it (not desirable, though).

However, on speed shoots, I'd typically load 15 rds per mag (which was down 8), the idea being that the lighter mag is easier to load, and the lighter gun is easier to point. I also practiced reloads both w/ full mags, and w/ mags holding 15 rounds.

I haven't decided, at this point, if I'd have been better off loading them full and allowing the extra weight to temper my speed (and therefore make a smoother reload)... play with it and see what works for you :)

Dave

Don't ever let yourself become the guy that puts the mag in the gun, then smacks the bottom to make sure it won't fall out.  :ph34r:

The extra time to do the "bottom smack" takes as long as a complete reload..or durn near. :P

That's why you whack the hell out of the fracker on its way in the first time.

I run my mags at full or -1 capacity. I want the same weight in the gun each time for the draw. A light gun comes out of my holster and points high on or above the target. :)

I started to say something smartass about Erik's reply - I use the sights to point my gun - but thats a good point.. Isn't it? Consistancy in the weight of the gun when drawn probably makes the chance of the good first shot a little greater.

I run my mags at full or -1 capacity. I want the same weight in the gun each time for the draw. A light gun comes out of my holster and points high on or above the target. :)

Do you find that you shoot high as your gun empties when you shoot it? ;) Ive never noticed a difference, even when I was messing around with heavy versus light guide rods. We're all unique :D

L2S, I sometimes notice a little more flip in Limited when the gun is near-empty. But I never draw it that way and rarely need to present it to a target near-empty. (Think two arrays of eight shots.) By presenting, I mean after moving. If the gun's already up there it's not an issue.

300#, Weight is more important on the draw than reloading for me. Of course, I practice draws with the CRTC. It's not 20 rounds of 180gr but it's good enough.

300#, Weight is more important on the draw than reloading for me. Of course, I practice draws with the CRTC. It's not 20 rounds of 180gr but it's good enough.

I wasn't comparing the weight, but rather the feel of the two activities. You're not just fighting the weight on an actual reload, but the spring tension at the end of it.

I just feel like givin' you static, dawg! :P

I have never even considered downloading a mag. I like everything to be the same as much as possible, so I don't have to think. I bet I would fudge up if I had to remember that I am a little short on this mag or that mag. My subconsious round counter is not very adjustable. Last match, I finished 3 stages with either an empty mag in the gun, or just 1 round left in the mag, but not slide locked.

I guess I haven't had too worry about it too much since what I have works fine with all 20 rounds crammed in there.....now where is some wood I can knock on?

I load 20 in the first mag, and 19 in all the others. I will download even further when I am shooting a stage that is something like shoot 6, reload, shoot 6. I do this for the reason you mentioned, it is easier, but I also do it because it is easier on the plastic grip frame near the mag catch in an STI, and easier on the mag too.

• 2 weeks later...

speed shoots and classifiers i only load 8-10 rounds in the mags,

any other course, it goes to 18-20 depending on the stage.

all the mags i reload with in a field course have 18-19 rounds in them.

when i shoot production, i still have a few of those neutered 10 round 9mm mags, in that situation, i suggest you load to full capacity. glocks 10 round 9mm mags can be hard to seat when they are new, now mine are far, far from new..

I've had 3 different guns with mags that would *do things* when dropped with more than 4 rounds in them as they hit the ground. Things like stick the top round straight up vertical thru the feed lips, etc.

Because of that I almost never load in excess of 4 extra rounds. Like Jake said, ten rounds in a 6-reload-6 speed shoot is plenty. If I'm going to drop a big stick after say 21 rounds, I'd put in 25.

Unless the big stick is taking on the Texas Star. Then the thing is full.

Just a side note, I've found that ALL hi-cap mags feed & behave better if you don't load & make ready off of them. LAMR off a stoker mag with one round in it. Or some back-up mag from the back of your belt. Then jam in the fresh hi-cap & holster the gun. My $.02