Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA 7 in a 38 Super

I have been shooting 11.8 grains of AA 7 under a 115 Zero HP in my new open blaster. Man I love the load...sooo flat. Flexmoney e-mailed me some links regarding AA 7 powder and I seem to have delted the message. I can't find the information with the search function. Can someone please elaborate on the concerns?

Also, I spoke with the guys in the lab at Accurate Arms and they told me that they can understand how the baffles in the comp will get eroded, but they don't see how the barrel could be effected. They seemed really concerned and they told me they have not tested the powder on an open pistol platform. The boss asked me to have anyone who has information about problems with AA 7 to please go to their Web site and submit their comments.

Sounds like some Accurate BS to me.

12 years or so ago, EVERYBODY was using AA7 in their open supers.  Well, I shouldn't say everybody, but about 99.9% of shooters used either AA7 or WW 540.  It all was personal preference, and usually related to felt recoil (some thought 540 had a snappier recoil; which makes sense, it's a faster powder).

I refuse to believe AA NEVER tested #7 in a comp gun.....where the hell is Marty Liggins?

• 9 months later...

have been useing #7/ 11.8 gr. loads for 10 yrs. have shot over 200,000 rds.  A little hard on the end wiper but barrel life & accuracy is as long as most [ about 30/35 th. rds per barrel. Useing a 115 jhp

• 3 weeks later...

11.8 gr. of accurate w/ 115 jhp has less pressure than any load you can put together for major. Carl & Will schmunnan [ in the papers they send out w/ each barrel] say's that only acc.#7 & win. 571 will burn in the comp's & put less pressure in the chamber than any others. They tested this in their shop's & in STI's. When others buldge cases, acc. #7 will not. As far as barrel erodeing the heat from fast powders will do a lot more harm in the throat then Acc. #7 which burns father down the barrel.

Tightloop:

Several big name smiths have been warning shooters about AA7. I bought a blaster from Benny and I was using his recommended AA7 load when I stumbled across some info about AA7 being abrasive.

It is interesting to note that the guys at Accurate told me AA7 was originally developed for use in fully automatic weapons shooting 9mm. Millions of rounds have been fired in full auto guns with no ill effects but it supposedly wears an Open pistol out in just a few thousand rounds. Beats me...

Benny has a lot of guns out there and every one of them went out with the recomendation to use accurate 7 and I bet a lot of these folks follow his advice. I've seen a whole lot of his guns with tons of rds thru them, every now and then one comes back that needs a barrel or comp. but never saw one worn out. Put enough rds down range and that happens, AA7 is as good as any and a whole lot better than some. Stuff shoots cool, flat and cheap, dosen't get any better than that.

Marty Liggins is no longer at AA. I looked for him at the SHOT Show and they said he was gone.

The way it was explained to me in the late 80s was that AA7 is basically AA5 with a thicker coat of burn inhibitors. Some of the powder grains are more like dust, but they get a coating of inhibitor anyway. There is not enough powder-to-inhibitor ratio to enable it to burn, so it just sits in the barrel, waiting for the next bullet to scrape it along the barrel at 1450 fps.

I can't vouch for the scientific accuracy of this statement, but I have noticed ugly scratched up barrels that were shot with AA7, namely 3 of mine. Once I switched to 540, 4756, 7625, and V-V powders, I haven't seen this particular malady.

i love aa#7, as benny told me to use, when he built my gun. i had to quit using the powder because it fouled my dillon 650 charge bar up big time. i swiched to imr 7625.

lynn jones :D

ps benny, do you have time to build me another gun? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Whoo Hoo, I feel way better about continuing my usage of this supposedly noxious concoction.

Just found this thread. I have been using AA7 since 1989 in 9mm in various PF's, exclusively in Sooper, and occasionally in .44 Mag. This is the first good press I have seen for good ole 7 since about 1990. I heard that same bbl wear BS from the smith who built my sooper in 90, but I ignored it because I liked it, and had just bought 32Lbs of #7.

Thank you all, I have stood by #7 all along, and have taken un-ending scolding for it. Suffer no longer. I will forevermore proudly say that I Use AA7 ;~)

Regards,