Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your par time

Sader72

Ya know, I've been hearing this "fast draws are overrated" stuff for a long time. I think it is total bull.

You keep your 1.1 to an A everytime.

I'll practice until I can get a .8 or better to an A everytime.

Jake sorry if I stepped on your toes. I said "lightning" draws are overated, not fast draws.

This is my logic:

A 1 second draw at 10 - 15 yards isn't easy. It is fast. It is the average draw time of the BEST shooters in the world for limited sights, according to two people I know who have finished in the top 5 at the World shoots in recent years.

.8 Draws at mid ranges are awesome. A C in .8 sec has the same value as an A in 1 sec :) and if you can hit the A every time in .8 you've just gain 1 point, if you can only do it in 1 second you've only lost 1 point. The risk factor of getting a D just doesn't compute at that speed at a mid range distance.

Of course if you can do a .8 EVERY TIME, do it :) That means to me you should be able to do .5-.6 dry fire draws as in my experementing a solid draw live fire take me about .2-.3 more than in dry fire.

There is a lot to practice in this sport. Draws, reloads, transitions, movement, strong hand, weekhand, prone, kneeling, moving targets, and so much more. I think that as you improve you have to prioritize the value of each skill. There is only so much time to practice for each person. So prioritzing your practice time is very important.

That is why I believe "lightning" fast draws are overated for winning in this game. From the experience I have, transitions and setup time are where matches are won and lost not draws and splits.

I was not trying to belittle "lighting" draws and splits by saying they are overated. I personally have put more energy into working on draws, spilts, and reloads that looking back I would have spent focusing on having a more well rounded game.

Do what you want you feel best and what fits you best, that way you have no doubts about your game when you step to the line :)

DVC ~ Scott

Well, after being more than a month without practicing, not even serious dryfire [hides from Steve A], I discovered that... I SUCK! :(:ph34r:

Anyway, here's the numbers, all in dryfire using Matt Burkett's site, I didn't have a chance to go to the range lately. I used a single stack and "carry" gear. The first number is what I can do on demand consistently, the ones between the parenthesis are my fastest for the session:

Draw: 1.4 seconds (1.1 second)

IPSC Reload: 1.5 seconds (1.2 second)

And, this is the first time I practiced IDPA style reloads:

IDPA Tactical reload: 3.5 seconds (2.9 seconds) Storing the mag KILLS my time, I always miss the pocket.

IDPA Reload with retention 3.3 seconds (3.2seconds) (again, that damn pocket!)

How do I know what my fastest times were in that dryfire session?

Well, I got mad and kept lowering the par time even though I couldn't do the drills consistently 100% of the time, so when I say that my fastest draw was 1.1 seconds, I mean that setting the par time on 1.1 I was able to draw and dryfire in that time ONCE of maybe 10 or 12 times the par time beat me.

I know this isn't the proper way to practice, I just re-started practicing and I was mad to find out my skills had involutoned. (that's surprising! :rolleyes: )

I'll have to start practicing regularely again...

Thanks for the reply guys,

I shot my first IDPA match last month and had a great time. I've been doing the dryfire drills from my computer at home almost every day. I've got it down to a 1.2 sec time to draw and fire with almost all A hits at 7 yards, and 75% As at 10 yards. Haven't stretched out past that distance yet. On the course when I have those 15+ yard shots I just take my time.

After doing lots of reading I am finding that 1.0-1.2 sec time is fairly good. So now I guess I need to start putting my time into mag drills and transitions from target to target.

I'm having a great time with it. Thanks for the replies and thankes to BE and Matt Burkett for their sites.

Any suggestions for that 1 must have book, funds are alittle tight after buying a 550 from BE and a seems to be new SA 1911-A1 Gov't. (had been using my only 1911 a Kimber Officer model).

D

BE's book is the only MUST have book I've read. It took my shooting to anohter level immediately. I think Jerry Barnhard's videos are the best as far as breaking down the technical aspects of shooting. Saul Kirsh's video of the Natioanls is very good also. The interview with BE on Matt's DVD was worth the price of the the DVD. DVC

Pierruiggi, reloads with retention should be the faster of you two, since you don't have to go mag pouch to gun to pocket back to gun again. Are you mixing up the terms or just doing something I'm not doing. Either you have a super quick tac load or your RWR is lagging. I NEVER tac load unless they specifically make you, but that's me.

I spent years in seach of a faster draw. I shoot a lot of steel and a fast draw is pretty important. If I could average a 1.2 second draw across the board in a match on mid-range targets, I would be pleased. BTW, that comment (paraphrased) came from Eric Graufel, lol. FWIW, I got into Master class with a 1.2-1.4 draw and a 1.4-1.5 reload. I suppose that's why I am puzzled by all of the B class shooters who constantly post much faster times who claim their misearble draws and reloads are holding them back. ;)

Pierruiggi, reloads with retention should be the faster of you two, since you don't have to go mag pouch to gun to pocket back to gun again.  Are you mixing up the terms or just doing something I'm not doing.  Either you have a super quick tac load or your RWR is lagging.  I NEVER tac load unless they specifically make you, but that's me.

The numbers in parenthesis were the fastest for that type of reload in that session.

In that particular session, my fastest (but not consistent, do-it-on-demand) tac load was 2.9 seconds and my fastest (once again, not consistent) reload with retention was 3.3 seconds.

Storing the mag is what slows me the most, I either miss the pocket or don't store it fast enough.

That 2.9 seconds tac reload was, in all honesty, a lucky one. I blew (by either fumbling with magazines, not being smooth or the par time caught me) 12 or 15 reloads before hitting that lucky 2.9. And, as I said, I set the par time lower than my current capabilities just because I was pissed off. It wasn't a proper training session, more like "blowing off some steam".

Anyway, it was my first practice session involving IDPA type reloads, so there's a lot of room for improvement. :D

I was watching Matt Burket Video Vol 4, and he draw in .63 in a 3 yards target.

I try to do it and my average draw was .70, best .62 only one :)

With a 10 yards target my average is 1.10, only shooting A.

My reloads are 2.20, i have to practice more.

His video is very helpfull.

He also sad in drill with 1 target at 7 yards, 6 shots in A area, a Grand Master is under 1.5 seconds :o , Open or Limited Gun, hands up or down.

I try to do it and my best time was 2.06 with a 0.94 draw.

bye,

FWIW, I got into Master class with a 1.2-1.4 draw and a 1.4-1.5 reload. I suppose that's why I am puzzled by all of the B class shooters who constantly post much faster times who claim their misearble draws and reloads are holding them back.  ;)

Same here. A 1.5 RL and 1.2 draw (match) didn't keep me out of M either. Obviously faster is better, but only if you're hitting the A's.

At first I practiced draws because I thought I needed an uber-speedy draw to be good. Then P.E. Kelley clued me into the fact that he made Master with a 1.25 draw. Now I realize that I practice the draw because hitting a solid one sets the stage for shooting a solid stage.

Steel Challenge shooting (at top levels) is an entirely different story. Saving 0.2 on a draw is .8 per stage and 4 seconds in a local match - which will usually move you up one or two places in the standings.

Steel Challenge shooting (at top levels) is an entirely different story.  Saving 0.2 on a draw is .8 per stage and 4 seconds  in a local match - which will usually move you up one or two places in the standings.

And every 0.2 or 0.4 at the big SC match will move you a place up the standings... It's real fun thinking "every extra shot is one more place down.."

FWIW, I got into Master class with a 1.2-1.4 draw and a 1.4-1.5 reload. I suppose that's why I am puzzled by all of the B class shooters who constantly post much faster times who claim their misearble draws and reloads are holding them back. ;)

Ron...say it ain't so...how can it be??? ;):):D

You weren't sneaking arounda and actually hitting some points were you?

:):)

That kind of talk would lead a person to think that accuracy is important.

Well I ran the IDPA Qualifier on my own yesterday and came out with a 128.44 using my Govt. SA 1911. That puts me into the middle of the SS in CDP class. Not too bad, but man 10+ yards killed me.

Stage 3, String 1 ran a slow 24.4 with many non-A hits and 1 miss.

Stage 2, String 1 and 2.........yah right, needs work.

Reloads were slow.

And my average draw ran about 1.35, slower than when I am just doing it for fun. Something about Competition (even when it's against the clock)..........

I can easily see how some work in several areas could easily drop 15 to 25 seconds. My new 550 will be getting a work out this year. Tomorrow's the real test, I am shooting in a local unsanctioned IDPA event.

D