Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

svi imm questions

ano

First off.. what does imm stand for? I've googled like crazy, and I'm quite good at it.. or so I thought. It seems to be SVI's term for hybrid porting? either it be with a sighttracker/ribbed barrel top, or just porting regular bull barrel?

Gun access is somewhat limited locally, but I've managed to track down a butler cut SVI gun, curently setup for ipsc standard .40 with the same grip.. as well my standard gun I currently use. this allows for same grip, same safety, same trigger etc, which I think is good.

Thought is to swapout the 40 sighttracker barrel, breechface, extractor, mags, for 38 supercomp hybrid 5.5 barrel and new breechface, extractor, mags, so far so good right? waiting time for new dedicated open gun is 1-1,5 years or so and I don't have that patience. Also the shop/smith swaps out all thoose parts, for no $ as they keep the old stuff. so shouldnt really matter, frame, grip is same, and I love the superlight slide the sighttracker/ribbed-hybrid-top barrel gives.

I will at the same time buy a 9 major barrel fitted with comp as its the same breechface/exctractor.

Does this all sound.. well sound? also would you just mill off the rear and stock sight mounts? or just put the slide racker in the standard mounts? or.. just mill a new slot in front of it for the racker?

Any ideas on recoil spring weights, additional milling, porting etc are welcome. I must say the smith has a very good reputation, 10lbs has been suggested so far.

thinking 4 holes + comp on 38 sc and maybe.. 2? + comp on 9 major? I have n350, 3n37, 3n38, n105... so getting good loads shouldnt be a problem.

I'm very new to open, but not loading wildcats etc.

Edited by ano

First off.. what does imm stand for? I've googled like crazy, and I'm quite good at it.. or so I thought. It seems to be SVI's term for hybrid porting? either it be with a sighttracker/ribbed barrel top, or just porting regular bull barrel?

Gun access is somewhat limited locally, but I've managed to track down a butler cut SVI gun, curently setup for ipsc standard .40 with the same grip.. as well my standard gun I currently use. this allows for same grip, same safety, same trigger etc, which I think is good.

Thought is to swapout the 40 sighttracker barrel, breechface, extractor, mags, for 38 supercomp hybrid 5.5 barrel and new breechface, extractor, mags, so far so good right? waiting time for new dedicated open gun is 1-1,5 years or so and I don't have that patience. Also the shop/smith swaps out all thoose parts, for no $ as they keep the old stuff. so shouldnt really matter, frame, grip is same, and I love the superlight slide the sighttracker/ribbed-hybrid-top barrel gives.

I will at the same time buy a 9 major barrel fitted with comp as its the same breechface/exctractor.

Does this all sound.. well sound? also would you just mill off the rear and stock sight mounts? or just put the slide racker in the standard mounts? or.. just mill a new slot in front of it for the racker?

Any ideas on recoil spring weights, additional milling, porting etc are welcome. I must say the smith has a very good reputation, 10lbs has been suggested so far.

thinking 4 holes + comp on 38 sc and maybe.. 2? + comp on 9 major? I have n350, 3n37, 3n38, n105... so getting good loads shouldnt be a problem.

I watched Lee Neel and Ken Cobb doing some chrono work last week for Ken's new IMM. I'm pretty sure it's a 4 hole gun. 3N38 was the flattest of the 3 powders they tested and they were pushing a 124 grain bullet around 1500 FPS. Personally, I would just call Brandon and ask him what load you need if you're going to buy the setup from them anyway.

IMM's is the term for what other companies call Open guns.......it was never just about Modified Division. Although SV did (and would do so if a customer really wants one) make Modified compliant pistols fitting the box.

I agree (once again...scary..) with Ranger Trace about having Ano call SV to talk about this project. This way he gets the correct information direct from the source. That way Brandon can walk him through the pro's and con's of his idea. 800 928-1911...............for those of you who don't have it on Speed dial.

Never shot ipsc, only uspsa. I thought they deleted the modified division ?

Yes, they did. What SVI calls an "Infinity IMM" currently would not be legal in IPSC Modified division anyway. It wouldn't fit in the box.

Ok, I just followed the link and it had a pic of a modified gun. So IMM is basically a custom shop term.

I watched Lee Neel and Ken Cobb doing some chrono work last week for Ken's new IMM. I'm pretty sure it's a 4 hole gun. 3N38 was the flattest of the 3 powders they tested and they were pushing a 124 grain bullet around 1500 FPS. Personally, I would just call Brandon and ask him what load you need if you're going to buy the setup from them anyway.

I live in europe. so sadly its not that easy ;) we "lagg" a bit

Any info you can provide on comp, port hole numbers/size/placement would be appreciated.

SVI kinda "trickle down" here. to get a new custom one I'll have to wait 1-1,5 years, sooo not feeling that :P

3n38 is widely available, so thats good, but you didnt say what caliber they built it in?

I live in europe. so sadly its not that easy ;) we "lagg" a bit

Any info you can provide on comp, port hole numbers/size/placement would be appreciated.

SVI kinda "trickle down" here. to get a new custom one I'll have to wait 1-1,5 years, sooo not feeling that :P

3n38 is widely available, so thats good, but you didnt say what caliber they built it in?

38 Supercomp for sure, pretty sure 4 holes, and I have no idea about the size and placement of the holes. send an email to Brandon@sviguns.com

Keep in mind that on the IMM guns SV requires the use of 3N38 to maintain the warranty. I'll dig up the link to this when I'm not on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that is unenforcable, if such a requirement even exists.

I stand corrected....I was looking at an older IMM pistol a year or two ago and came across the link deano posted above. For some reason it stuck in my head as a warranty requirement. It's probably this statement that did it:

"If you allow excessive deposits to build up in the compensator chamber ports, or use non-recommended ammunition or ammunition components, it is possible that the altered gas dynamics will allow bullets to touch the compensator baffles upon exit. The Infinity Firearms warranty does not cover damage caused to the firearm by such improper maintenance and usage. Any use of heat or chemical means to clean compensator ports also invalidates your warranty."

Edited by kcobean

That was for the early IMM pistols like the one I have. It had a lot more aggressive porting and there was a theory floated that some problems they had with the early guns was the bullet "rising" and striking the comp baffles and supposedly tgis was due to powder choice. Never bought that. There was considerable difficulty making major with the early guns because of the aggressive porting and pressures ran extremely high. I used 3n37 in mine with no problems other than reallt pushing the limits on pressures to make major. Eg. My current STI uses 8.5 of 3n37 to comfortably make major (170pf) my IMM needed 9.7gr of 3n37to squeak 160pf.

Later guns with less ports had the 3n38 requirement dropped as they didn't run nearly as high pressures as the early guns

Just talked to the smith, 3 ports for 38SC at a slight angle to clear the quinn mount/c-more lens from beeing blasted, 2 for the 9 major. same titanium comp for both. He used n105 for his 38sc and n350 for his 9 major currently when shooting indoors because of the 3n38 flames/blinding ;)

Gun has black frame/slide now, with polished safety lever, grip safety and magwell.. but he told me I can choose any color for frame/grip/slide if I want for a ne duracote finish, what's the oem finish by svi? I'm open to picture posting and suggestions ;)

Edited by ano

Gun has black frame/slide now, with polished safety lever, grip safety and magwell.. but he told me I can choose any color for frame/grip/slide if I want for a ne duracote finish, what's the oem finish by svi? I'm open to picture posting and suggestions ;)

On last build I went with the duo-tone finish, and it is nice too, I don't think they have such thing as an OEM finish, but you can see a couple of versions here.

post-21305-0-90067200-1425055837_thumb.j