Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open in 9mm Major or .38 Super ?

zzw26n

I would like to try Open this summer and the STI DVC looks to have everything I would desire.

At my gun club there is 8 out of 10 using 9mm major, that speaks voulmes for 9mm major.

I just don't know what caliber to go with? There's Pro's & Con's to both.

What say thee?

Edited by zzw26n

My advice would be that unless you are rigged up and already loading for 38 super (or super comp, TJ, Lupa, etc.) I'd go with 9mm major.

Whatever differences there might be won't be noticed until you have shot open for a while, and even then the differences/benefits of 9major vs. 38 super are arguable.

I run super because I am already set up for it and am comfortable with loading and shooting super. If I were starting from scratch and already loading 9mm I'd go with a 9major gun.

The DVC is a good looking gun, get one and shoot it until the barrel looks like a smooth glass tube when you look down it. :cheers:

Same here, go with 9Major. I converted all mine over just due to brass mostly. I really like the availability of powders for the 38S and it seemed to shoot a little better than my 9s but the brass is a PITA. Since I load minor and major, it makes it easier to streamline that process.

I would like to try Open this summer and the STI DVC looks to have everything I would desire.

At my gun club there is 8 out of 10 using 9mm major, that speaks voulmes for 9mm major.

I just don't know what caliber to go with? There's Pro's & Con's to both.

What say thee?

8 out of 10 at your club use 9MAJOR and you still wonder which to go with?

Get a 9.

38 is dead bwahaha

You are completely correct - one 30-member club is NOT sufficient

information to make such an important decision. :bow:

If you read the postings for the past 1-2 years here on BE, you'll

find hundreds of postings that say "The decision is up to you".

Very few advantages or disadvantages to either caliber - they

both work very well. :surprise:

Advantage of the 9mm is the brass (cheap, easily available)

and the advantage of the .38 super is more case capacity

(so you can run lighter bullets or slower powders).

But, ultimately, it's YOUR decision.

Good luck. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I know a few people going the other way. Dumping their 9s and going to the good ole 38 Super. more powder options, easier to make major with larger case. Been seeing lots of 9mm cracked slides, not so much on the 38s.

But I shoot Limited.

I know a few people going the other way. Dumping their 9s and going to the good ole 38 Super. more powder options, easier to make major with larger case. Been seeing lots of 9mm cracked slides, not so much on the 38s.

But I shoot Limited.

Actually had a conversation at Tues night steel with a couple of guys talking about that...but they were talking about going to super in SS minor...

Super will be around for a long time. Everytime something else comes along people drop super, but always end up going back sooner or later.