Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bullet feeder

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 Mr bulletfeeders. Both are really good machines and I don't for a moment regret getting them. They aren't inexpensive but a good addition to your handloading operation. I've found that with a bulletfeeder, your attention can be more focused on all the other operations going on while handloading. Conversion kits for other calibers are available and not too expensive. Thats my two cents... Honestly, adding a bulletfeeder was the single biggest upgrade I have ever done with the highest gross benefit overall... excepting the addition of a 1050.

You're probably going to hear a lot of recommendations for Mr. Bulletfeeder for good reasons. They simply work. No muss no fuss.

The other competitor to the MBF is the GSI bullet feeder. The advantage to the GSI feeder is you can keep a powder check in the press. The disadvantages include price and functionality. The GSI feeder is a good choice if you dedicate a press to loading a single caliber with same (brand, profile, type and weight) bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my MBF! I debated on the MBF and GSI, ultimately decided on the MBF obviously. I can't say that the MBF is "better" than the GSI, because I don't think it is, they're just different. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I did the "$28 Bullet feeder" Hornady bullet feed die and fish tank air tube. I keep 4 tubes loaded with bullets. I swap them out as needed. I find it works well enough for the investment. It doesn't really save time, but I can load bullets in tubes while watching TV. I don't have a case feeder. So I only have to manually feed cases and not bullets and cases.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Snapped a photo of my feeder. Its not my idea but it works. Looks like its conceptually similar to the mini Mr bullet feeder. Its a Hornady bullet feed die and some 1/2" OD tubing. Add a cotter pin to hold the bullets in the tube.

f5e53b4a8ecea92abf3c47bbf9c40a24.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Edited by packeagle

I have 2 Mr. Bullet feeder jrs. I could not justify the expense. After all, a slow consistent pull is most important in making quality reloads.

I certainly agree with the consistent part but I don't think slow helps.

• 9 months later...

For someone using the Hornady die, on a Dillon press, you should modify the expander. With the Dillon expander the bullets fall easily.

If you have access to a lathe, you can modify it so it would work very well. It is hardened steel, so you will need to use carbide cutter and go slowly.

The idea is to replace the cone with a step, a couple thousands of an inch bigger, than your bullet diameter. Then polish it, and you are done.

I just did this on a 9mm setup, and the difference is HUGE, the bullets now drop into the case about .050", and they stay put.

Edited by Foxbat

Personally, i don't load pistol rounds on a press without a powdercheck.

It has saved my ass twice, when errors occur -strange things do happen.

This setup will be 9mm/.38

A CNC operator will make a aluminum adapter this week, so my new part will hopefully arrive late this week.

Yo make it easyer we consider to cut it straight off instead of shaping it exactly like the green GSI bushing, any thoughts?