Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell holders

AH6IP

The one mounted on the side of the shotgun look incorrect to me. But then if you turn them 180, they will still be awkward. I like my sidesaddle on the side opposite of the bolt on my Gold. When I turn the gun over to load, the shells are pulled out and then rotated 90 degrees into the magazine. Since I have the gold, I have the speed function and I don't have to deal with dropping one in the chamber if it's empty. Though as they sit in the picture on that link above, it seems that if you keep your gun shouldered during a load, you can extend your right arm (if right handed) and grab shells off the right side and put them in the magazine from there. It might be faster that way. If it were me, I would want more than 4 mounted on the forward stock if it's not in the way of the grip. But if it's a pump.. well, there are more issues there.

Vince

belt_pic2.jpg

belt5.jpg

Wow. I went and got some tutoring on SG reloading this weekend and that is just wrong. The brass aways goes toward your front regardless whether you're a righty or a lefty. . There is nothing about the above setup that makes any sense. I guess you could flirp the holders 180 degrees and get there.

I'll post some pics of my kydex shell holders here soon (that are properly configured). :lol:

Gotcha, Ronnie. Totally agreed on the gun setup being off and the belt setup being fine.

EW, you remember that article with Taran's reload? Go take a look at it again and re-read what you wrote. You telling me Taran is doing it wrong? :rolleyes:

150Kg_Guerilla,

Yes. It's still wrong. I have true Religion now. I have fallen prey to the cult of the over-the-shoulder-stronghand-stuff. Anyone who believes differently is an infidel and heretic. Those loaders are just as wrong as that goofy pistol grip Taran has on his shotgun. :lol: The guy selling those holders must be a southpaw.

Meanwhile...back to reality....

I guess it's 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other. Taran saves just shy of a second by not flipping the shotgun on the first 4. I honestly believe that shooters will be behind when it comes to loading the second four. I'm not saying this based on my times, because my times blow serious chunks right about now. (I'm over a second off the pace from last year :o) I watched a video this weekend of the over the shoulder load getting done right, so I feel pretty confident about saying: loading out of holders with the brass held to the rear, stuffing shells in weakhand, is slower to load 8............ON AVERAGE.

[/i'm gonna get my butt SO whomped at the first major 3-gun match I go to MODE]

OK Benny, time for ya to sling some more trash my way. :)

It bothers me that you freaks of nature can actually grab four shells at a time and load them with one hand. It's just ... wrong!

I have small hands and I can do it fine. 100% technique. You should have no problems.

EricW:

Have you ever seen "weakhand" loading done right?? Or are you basing your decision on what you have seen. I know about the article that was on Taran, but have you seen it in person? This is a simple test, start aimed in on a plate at 10 yards, at the beep shoot the plate then reload 8 and then shoot another plate. Have your best "shoulder" loader do it and post the time. I have posted my pesonal best which is 5.67 seconds for this drill, My average is in the low to mid sixes. Time someone and let us know. By the way not only is the second saved by not flipping the gun but another second and a half to two seconds are saved by NOT having to reshoulder and aim, it already there. Just some thoughts. BTW these loaders look a bit wrong to me also as the front of the shell isn't guided into your hand as you strip the four of them from the holder, as another aside I am actually getting rather good at loading 5 at a time, but don't feel quite confident with it yet. KURTM

I once tried the drill bringing the gun down and loading with my right hand as well as keeping the gun up and loading with my weak hand. While the latter felt strange, the times came out to be similar. If I practiced one way or the other I could improve on it both ways. I'm used to bringing the gun down and using my right hand for loading since this is the way I've always loaded when I hunt. Stick with what feels right. The shell holders look like they will work well off the belt but the jury is still out mounting it on the gun. I'd have to see it in use to make a decision either way.

Vince

EricW:

Have you ever seen "weakhand" loading done right?? Or are you basing your decision on what you have seen. I know about the article that was on Taran, but have you seen it in person? This is a simple test, start aimed in on a plate at 10 yards, at the beep shoot the plate then reload 8 and then shoot another plate. Have your best "shoulder" loader do it and post the time. I have posted my pesonal best which is 5.67 seconds for this drill, My average is in the low to mid sixes. Time someone and let us know. By the way not only is the second saved by not flipping the gun but another second and a half to two seconds are saved by NOT having to reshoulder and aim, it already there. Just some thoughts. BTW these loaders look a bit wrong to me also as the front of the shell isn't guided into your hand as you strip the four of them from the holder, as another aside I am actually getting rather good at loading 5 at a time, but don't feel quite confident with it yet. KURTM

Kurt,

It should be obvious that I don't know squat about long-gunning. I'm just giving you guys a hard time because I like it when Benny talks trash. (It motivates me to practice. :P)

Anyway, no, I've never seen weakhand done right in person. I have done some timing of the basic gun movements and see plusses and minuses to both technique. I did talk to Shawn about it a good while, and basically loading 8, he *averages* under 6 seconds. His best is a 5.1something I believe. (Will I ever be that fast? I don't know.)

As far as the 2.5 secs to reshoulder and aim, all we have to do is pull the gun forward with the weakhand and rotate and we're on target. I can't quote a par time for it right now, but I don't think it's over a second.

Basically, Shawn and I agreed that for loading 4, stronghand load vs. weakhand is a wash. Either you're good or you're not. My *opinion* is that Shawn's technique is going to be faster on average for 8 just because of the ergonomics. I can look the shells right into the port doing it.

I've been waiting to post Shawn's technique (or whoever the heck's it is) online just because Bill Sahlberg has an article submitted to Front Sight and I didn't want to steal his thunder. I'll probably just ask Shawn if I can take some pics and try to post them.

If you can load 5 consistently, I'm just going to pick up the gauntlet right now and pack it in. :o

Ericdubya: :D

Is that with the shooting or just stuffing 8 in the gun for Shawn? Just to stuff 8 takes me just a hair over 5 as it does Shawn, but in another month or so I'll race for 10 :D. In the end I think your synopsis is correct if you practice, any of them can be fast, I just like to be able to still shoot the gun while stuffing shells, which is a major problem for the other techniques as the strong hand is off the gun and full of plastic.

Mike.45: go ahead and pm Dr. Felarca but keep the rest of the tape on wraps please, I don't want people to see me with the lamp shade on my head. :D KURTM

...Just to stuff 8 takes me just a hair over 5 as it does.

D@mn!!! and here I was thinking sub 5.5 is a physically improbable task :o I can beat 6.0 second, and occasionally 5.7, on the timer with 8, but 5's has been attempts in futility.

Is that with the shooting or just stuffing 8 in the gun for Shawn?

Bang...stuff 8....bang

Shawn, Pat, and Carl will be at a bunch of major 3-gun matches this year, so you should compare notes.

What would be nice if someone finally puts together a shotgun DVD is to show the different major techniquest with the master of each demonstrating. There's plusses and minuses to each. The major problem I see with grabbing more than one shell is that if you goober the pick out the carrier, you might as well just chuck the rounds on the ground and re-pull. It will be faster.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to travel to more major matches, get my butt whooped and have you guys learn me some 3 gunning the right way. :)

I have small hands and I can do it fine. 100% technique. You should have no problems.

Okay, I'll believe that technique and practice are the key, but if you can shoot a Glock (which I think you do), your fingers are nowhere near as short as mine.

I have Billy Barty Hands. I used to be able to do two at a time, but that was pushing it. Three is questionable, but probably possible given the amount of practice I am unwilling to do. Four is quite simply not possible for me.

Nor is it possible for me to run 100 meters in 11 seconds. ;)

How did you hold the bar for weights.... :P

It was actually a significant handicap on the deadlift, especially when training for it. I trained in the same gym as a former SHWT world champion (1984, 1003 lb squat!) who had hands almost identical to mine (although he was only about 5'5" or 5'6"), and his deadlift was never comparable to his squat and bench press.

It's not a problem for pressing of any kind, though!