Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crude Brass Waterfall Fix (Pay Attn Dillon)

So, again, I'm using my 9mm/.380 mechanical sorter to sort a couple full buckets of brass. After about 5 of the brass waterfalls (where a case turns sideways in the chute and the brass cascades down after the funnel is full) before the end of the first bucket, I was getting upset having to babysit a simple collator.

Since I knew I had a couple wing nuts laying around, I simply had to find a bolt. Unfortunately the bolt is too long, but it proves concept. I'll be getting a shorter bolt and washer to hold the zip tie from sliding down the bolt.

The wing nut prevents the zip tie from rotating. Any and all stacked cases are flipped right out of each other, providing for a steady stream of cases to drop unimpeded.

The hole in the collator sheet metal is about 1.5" from the top of the case plate.

Why doesn't it come like this from the factory? Took me about 5 minutes to fix.

ETA: It should in reality be a vertical slot in the sheet metal, with a standardized length "flipper" that can be adjusted for any case length.

IMG_0845_zpsaffb0be8.jpg

Edited by Brassaholic13

Every now and again a case will kick sideways in the chute. It happens more often on shorter cases like 9mm/.380 auto than anything else. Dillon (and others here) blame this on a non-stable reloading bench. An unstable reloading bench is not the root cause. It may contribute, but it's not the cause. The cause is several cases riding up on each other, and the weight of the top cases causing the bottom case to kick sideways when it drops free from the case plate. The simple solution that I posted above keeps that from occurring by knocking any stacked cases off.

I use the Dillon collator to feed this (which I have posted before). There is zero bench shake while this is running.

I have this problem about once per 9mm loading session. Could be related to my using a LARGE collator plate instead of the correct SMALL size. I will give this a shot and see if it helps.

Brassaholic: Would you mind posting another photo showing where exactly the bolt hole is drilled? Also, for switching between different calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .223), could I just attach the bolt further above the collator plate (to clear the .223) then run a longer zip tie?

Thanks for the tip.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Congrats to you guys never having an issue.

Well, I dam sure get it several times. Really a pain when size and deprime is set up to run on its own. I am going to try and build me a part similar.

Oh, forgot. Congrats on problem free loading.

:cheers:

I haven't had the problem with my round funnel Dillon collators (did with the rectangle funnel ones though). I did have a similar issue with a collator I built though, I used a paint brush and Visegrip as a simple, no modification, fix at the time. Turned out adding a few more degrees to the collator mount fixed the problem using gravity.

Around :40 into this video.

http://vid121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/sorterhopper.mp4

Edited by jmorris

The waterfall usually happened at the funnel mouth on my 650 after the case dropped. I posted a video under case feeder jam that shows the old style casefeeder on a real early production 1050 and the fix on my 650. In the video it says tag board however that was for the pattern. I made the part out of a thin plastic sheet.

I have this problem about once per 9mm loading session. Could be related to my using a LARGE collator plate instead of the correct SMALL size. I will give this a shot and see if it helps.

Brassaholic: Would you mind posting another photo showing where exactly the bolt hole is drilled? Also, for switching between different calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .223), could I just attach the bolt further above the collator plate (to clear the .223) then run a longer zip tie?

Thanks for the tip.

Sure. It doesn't have to be really precise. I just picked a location that looked like it would work and tried it. I don't think you'd have to change the bolt location. Just have a few different zip ties on hand and swap them out. Maybe use different colored zip ties for different calibers. Clearing 223 isn't an issue, it doesn't run vertical. Just remove it altogether for rifle.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/onebadgmc/IMG_0846_zps7d8a5e34.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb199/onebadgmc/IMG_0847_zpsa565ada4.jpg

This is what you mean by waterfall right?

8645870369_2c2abd25fc_c.jpg

Precisely.

Edited by Brassaholic13

I have the pictured case feeder and have only experienced this once. It was 9mm brass and cleared itself when there were about five rounds piled in there. I wonder why the differences in experiences using this feeder? Very odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk